Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Healer and "prott"

There should be 2 classes that do the following:

one should purely be able to heal

and one should be able to "prevent" damage with enchantments before the target gets hit. For example: Reducing dmg to 5% of max health for 10 seconds, reducing for 15dmg for 5 seconds etc.

This would make the pvp great, because you would need to guess which target will get attacked and would increase the skillfloor in pvp alot.

This was a great thing about guild wars 1 pvp for example.

Comments

• Options
    Since we will have in game enchantments I don't think we will get a specific class that does this, though there is an enchanter class .w.
  • Options
    'pure' healers need to 'guess' which target will get attacked to be the most successfully anyway.

Raising the skill floor is not a good thing...
  • Options
    matze said:

and one should be able to "prevent" damage with enchantments before the target gets hit. For example: Reducing dmg to 5% of max health for 10 seconds, reducing for 15dmg for 5 seconds etc.

This would make the pvp great, because you would need to guess which target will get attacked and would increase the skillfloor in pvp alot.

Well, there is a class that specifically heals and only heals doing nothing else i.e. Cleric/Cleric aka High Priest.

As to enchanters. I would consider Bards as "enchanter" like as it will come in game. As the class will provide buffs to those who are working with them. If you'd like to mix the two you can look at classes like "Soul Weaver", or a purist would say a minstreal bard/bard.
  • Options
    matze said:

Well, there is a class that specifically heals and only heals doing nothing else i.e. Cleric/Cleric aka High Priest.

As to enchanters. I would consider Bards as "enchanter" like as it will come in game. As the class will provide buffs to those who are working with them. If you'd like to mix the two you can look at classes like "Soul Weaver", or a purist would say a minstreal bard/bard.
    From what we've seen cleric healing is a take/give type mechanic. They may have a direct heal ability but it looks like for the most part your going to need to actively damage to heal
  • Options
    Yep, what @Argentdawn said. The healer standing in the back and using macros or addons like HealBot to just click on raid frames will NOT be a thing in Ashes. Healers are going to be up in the front getting dirty. If your idea of playing a healer from previous mmos is hanging out while everyone else does the heavy lifting, you are in for a shock.
  • Options
    D&D Cleric, sure it's a primary healer, but they got heavy armor, a shield, and a heavy blunt weapon. I have never played a D&D game where the healer sits back and does nothing but cast cures. Since we know IS loves D&D, and we see the cleric specs, I am looking for a robust Cleric similar to that, not the ones in other MMO's.

Maybe this will forge new ground for healer classes going forward, maybe not. Either way I'm going to have at least one Cleric Alt just to see.

I mean sure, my god could smite you while I stand on the hill top, but wouldn't it be better if I brought the pain to you personally.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    D&D Cleric, sure it's a primary healer, but they got heavy armor, a shield, and a heavy blunt weapon.
    Well, WoW did Shadow Priests and those guys didn't mess around. They'd melt your face off with shadow lasers.

But yeah, with 8 sub-classes we should hopefully see some Clerics that wade into the fray with a BF2H Sword and kicks butt. Or at the very least we got the 7 other classes with some subclass cleric to do it.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    D&D Cleric, sure it's a primary healer, but they got heavy armor, a shield, and a heavy blunt weapon. I have never played a D&D game where the healer sits back and does nothing but cast cures. Since we know IS loves D&D, and we see the cleric specs, I am looking for a robust Cleric similar to that, not the ones in other MMO's.

Maybe this will forge new ground for healer classes going forward, maybe not. Either way I'm going to have at least one Cleric Alt just to see.

I mean sure, my god could smite you while I stand on the hill top, but wouldn't it be better if I brought the pain to you personally.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    @nagash
    Yeah, Clerics can be tanks and hard hitters but if that is your primary goal (and you still want to be devout) a Paladin is a much better move. I see it pays for you to know the enemy :wink:

I think Clerics were designed with the thought that your front line is going to take most of the damage most of the time. A lot of the time that's in a melee environment. Heals are usually touch (or had been for a long time) so the Cleric needed to be able to heal the front line without dying. Unlike the wizard, who would never need to be in the front line. EDIT: ...in D&D.