Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Are Wikis a good thing?

Or do they subtract from the social aspect of the game?  I am talking about when every step of every quest is spelled out.  You might say 'Do not use them if you do not like them'.  But if everyone else is using them role playing kind of dies, and social aspects in general take a hit.  Instead of getting a group together to discover stuff people just tell you to look it up online.  It is convenient but it seems to come at a fairly steep price. 

Comments

• Options
    depends on how you approach what you are seeking, because there are people who near instantly wiki something when they dont know what to do, and i would agree that it takes away something from the game. another kind of player wouldnt even ask for anyones help when trying to figure out what to do next. another is the type that askes friends or those who on the server for help when they are stuck. you will never have a community solely comprised of one type of player. 

wikis do make it so people dont have to actually communicate with others, but wikis are just the combined knowledge of those players, which is useful because not everyone will remember a detail about a particular topic.

however, with this game wikis may revolve more around methods or very general info like "to get crafting recipes for higher tier items you must first salvage that item" or "the name for the npc that you need to talk to to buy a house is 'insert name' " instead of just the "go here, do this, get this".
  • Options
    Wikis, Guides, videos, etc do take a lot of the social aspect out of the game.

However, they are an evil that cannot be undone.

I'm a guide maker.  If nobody else was making guides, I wouldn't make guides either.   But since SOMEONE will always be making them, I'll continue to make mine.

...for all 3 of my viewers

• Options

Other people can be scum.

Wikis cant be scum.

• Options
    Nothing is 100% good.
    IMO wikis are mostly a good thing because they enable more casual players to enjoy the content they would not have been able to achieve unless they took the game more seriously. And thus the population grows. Yes as you said the price is that people that want to take the game more seriously will not be able to. And as a consequence of this, the hardcore players won't take as much joy out of the game. Among many other upsides and downsides.

My point is that wikis are not going away, we have to learn to take the good with the bad.

• Options
    This community has about 500 wikis so good or bad, it's too late now.
  • Options
    Jahlon said:
    Wikis, Guides, videos, etc do take a lot of the social aspect out of the game.

However, they are an evil that cannot be undone.

I'm a guide maker.  If nobody else was making guides, I wouldn't make guides either.   But since SOMEONE will always be making them, I'll continue to make mine.

...for all 3 of my viewers

"Lead them, and they shall follow"

We just need a little faith my dear brothers and sisters o:)
  • Options
    The wiki we have now is amazing. Having all that information that breaks down how everything works and what the game is going to be is really good plus it's really well put together. Once the games out and every quest is spoiled and holds your hand through everything I can see that taking away some mystery to the game but the break down if mechanics, classes, game play and what not. I think that's all good. 
  • Options
    Puppies are 100% good.

• Options
    You realize you’re basically asking if the internet is bad.

On the internet.