Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Apocalypse Concerns

Seeing the partial list of actions that will give points for cosmetics in Apocalypse has me worried; especially the questing part.  My thoughts are that many won't be able to complete the quests because they will get killed by other players waiting for them at quest points.  I would expect to be killed where the NPC is offering the quest, as well as sights for gathering materials, and then where they need to be formulated.  For players like myself who are terrible at actiony game play this will be very frustrating; unless there will be built in safe areas (which I don't expect).

Comments

• Options
    T-Elf said:
    Seeing the partial list of actions that will give points for cosmetics in Apocalypse ...
    We have a list already? Where can i find that? (Sorry that i ask this here in your thread)
    As soon as i have seen this list i will give a normal response here.. ;)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    I think this is what he was talking about. It looks like this was posted in ashes_discussion so i assume it's not under NDA.

I'm still a little confused what you are talking about. There doesn't seem to be any talk of quest givers. The quests you need to find stuff could probably be completed over the span of a few matches as you will naturally find that stuff when you drop. Even if you don't last long, you should still be able to pick some of those up, especially if you land in a unpopular area.

Are you assuming we get these quests like in traditional MMOs where we have to get them in game?
  • Options
    I'm behind, is this the next alpha phase?
  • Options
    haha you don't have to talk to any quest giver in the game.
  • Options
    @Azathoth Nah, it is part of the way that they are going to track who gets the free cosmetics for helping test the action combat phase. Since Ashes is all about the no p2w they needed an easy way to track and promote participation so that issue doesn't come up. If they had not opened up the action testing to everyone, but then had exclusive cosmetics available to those that had paid, people would have cried that paying to test gave them an advantage. We know that there will be weapon and armor skins from the time before "The Fall" that you can get by playing the free, open to anyone, spin-off that they now call Apocalypse because too many people were confused by them calling it A1P1. They have not clarified how many skins will be available, and how many of the "quests" you would have to achieve to earn them all. Since the top tagline in "complete one weekly to earn daily reward" and it looks like there is a silver and then a gold category you most likely would have to check one of each to get the cosmetics on offer for that week. (speculation). We will have more info soon, but as usual people are taking a teaser screenshot and "Chicken Little" reigns.
  • Options
    Thanks @McStackerson.
    I also agree with you about the quests. I don't think there will be quest npc's. This seems more like challanges which will be tracked automatically.
    And the gathering of certain items will probably be over multiple matches unless the "quest" states something like "gather 10 bows in one match".
  • Options
    Yeah, I loosely agree with @UnknownSystemError :P overall, they need to have some metric for people to earn the cosmetics which isn't just # of hours sunk into testing. I also would not be worried that it is a concerning amount investment into apocalypse.

The only cause of concern here imo is if IS does nothing to inform participants of apocalypse that it is purely for testing and will in all likelihood be removed when AoC comes out (might be back later). Because the issue that could arise is that people who enjoy apocalypse will, reasonably, ask for it to be kept upon the game's release which will put IS in a tough spot. On one hand having said it is just for testing and keeping it would upset a lot of people, present company included, but removing it may upset others asking for it to be kept. A giant "TESTING ONLY" or "TEMPORARY" written in the menu or better yet, a date when it would be shut down, like a count down to the fall of Verra would be good :P.
  • Options
    I honestly don't mind the idea of cosmetics for testing the game 'w' it might be hard but depending on how long apocalypse lasts everyone should be able to acquire these 'w'
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for the input, I'm hoping that you are correct about there being no quest NPC, and I would like a gander at the rest of the list.  I'm not trying to be a "chicken little and the sky is falling"; I just had concerns.  Discussion is a good thing to clear up misunderstandings like the one I had.
  • Options
    I really hope it's not 100% pvp. I want to play but... pvp is more stressful than fun for me.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    Seeing the partial list of actions that will give points for cosmetics in Apocalypse has me worried; especially the questing part.  My thoughts are that many won't be able to complete the quests because they will get killed by other players waiting for them at quest points.  I would expect to be killed where the NPC is offering the quest, as well as sights for gathering materials, and then where they need to be formulated.  For players like myself who are terrible at actiony game play this will be very frustrating; unless there will be built in safe areas (which I don't expect).
    It looks to me like you could "just" play 10 games in a day to get 1000 xp.
    Which seems pretty good to me.
    Hopefully the potions will be placed randomly - I think the legendary weapons may be placed randomly as well.

But, yeah, hopefully explorers will be able to reap rewards as well as fighters.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    T-Elf said:
    It looks to me like you could "just" play 10 games in a day to get 1000 xp.
    Which seems pretty good to me.
    Hopefully the potions will be placed randomly - I think the legendary weapons may be placed randomly as well.

But, yeah, hopefully explorers will be able to reap rewards as well as fighters.
    Looks like 10 games is 100exp to me
  • Options
    Hmmn. Yeah, I can see that.
    But it says "Complete a weekly quest to earn a daily reward".
    And 10 games in one day sounds to me like a daily reward.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Hmmn. Yeah, I can see that.
    But it says "Complete a weekly quest to earn a daily reward".
    And 10 games in one day sounds to me like a daily reward.
    Yeah, now I see what you are talking about. Maybe the 1000 number is for something else. 
  • Options
    Yeah, maybe.
    We'll have to keep our eyes peeled for more details.
  • Options
    Pretty sure you don't have to talk to quest givers for these.
  • Options
    does the exp from these quest equate to actual exp or does it only bring you closer to the next cosmetic?