Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Regional Resource Management

What if the Mayor (manager/leader) of a node had the controls to regulate the regional rules for resource gathering within the region of their nodal control to a certain degree at their discretion 

This would be to have the ability to switch the resource gathering status for a select number of regional resource statuses to move the economy; increase quantities, decrease quantites, change stock values etc

This would achieve a greater degree of control of materials entering the market and provide planned benefits to the players loyal to a region and place some greater degree of planned management of a node.

Any switch would have to have a: 

1) transition time
  • ie a key time per day/cycle or period from change to implementation to provide warning and avoid opportunistic exploitation
2) duration
  • minimum time of a few hours to a few days
3) warning 
  • text announcement regional specific so players are aware of any rule changes

The switch could be the following status for a number of key resources.

a) Open Gathering
  • Any player from any region can harvest the resource within the region of the nodal control
  • Node resources regenerate at slowest rate

b) Restricted Gathering
  • Players from the nodal region can gather resources freely
  • Players not from the region can gather resources but are flagged when doing so 
  • Resources regenerate at a medium rate

c) Highly Restricted Gathering
  • Players from the region can gather resources but are flagged when doing so 
  • Players not from the region can gather resources but are flagged when doing so 
  • Resources regenerate at a high rate

d) Nil Gathering
  • Resources cannot be gathered at all
  • Resources regenerate at maximum rate
Limited to such resources as 
  • Mining resources
  • Lumber
  • Fishing 
  • Certain animals

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    No, not at all. Resources should not be controlled in any way by a single person or even a node. You want to control resources, stand there and fight for them.

IS has suggested resources will be random, both in spawning location and type. So why add an additional layer?

Also, allowing players from the node to gather 'freely' but flagging non-citizens? That, to me, sounds like a bad idea. Maybe a Military node could issue 'resource drives' with long cool-downs, but beyond that this topic seems way off base from what Ashes is going for.

I honestly do not see any benefit to the proposed system. As for the 'market' referenced in the OP, I don't see any benefit.

Assuming this was implemented and I was able to mine, let's say ore, in the node I had citizenship in considerably easier than a node I was not. I would still sell my ore in the node that would pay the most for it. That would not benefit the node at all, except the xp it gained when I mined.

In short, for me this makes no sense and somehow granting players additional controls over resources sounds like a bad idea.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    Actually they do have a system in place already. The details are not fully outlined at this point in time. What they have said is that the elected leader of a node, the Mayor will have control by dials and levers to develop and steer a nodes progression.

Do it well and the node prospers, do it poorly and it wilts and dies.

This is the sandbox side of the game I look forward to as when places of power change so does the game. And it will keep the game in motion hopefully far more than a themepark style where all predetermined.

But a careful middle ground between them will be required to work well

The Ashes Wiki outlines a little

• Governments may be able to choose a node name from a predetermined list.[12][13]

We have conditions that you can set between nodes with regards to either nodes being friendly with each other and acting trade alliances, or they can declare war on nodes similar to how guild wars may function in different games, where those citizens become hostile to each other based on the player government that's elected in the particular node. So those systems all kind of cater to allowing a conflict that's meaningful and that also provides a non-imbalanced relationship between stronger guilds and not as strong guilds.[14] – Steven Sharif

The government has a lot of say in the direction of the nodes development. Directing assets, building projects, tax allocation, defensive ability etc. Players have the ability to not only create these cities, but they have the right of self-governance.[4]

There are levers and dials that are present to both the owners of Castles as well as the elected officials of Nodes that during their administration they have the ability to impact and influence the region around them

My interpretation of this was it may extend to the environment within the nodes control, hence the suggestion. I would like to see what this approach will entail

• Options
    I dont really know players always try to put in their 2 cents in. I for one want to see what IS brings to the table and see how that will work. You may suggest some minor changes. If its a bad design, then yes make suggestions on how to improve it more.

What @AkaBear proposed is a dictatorship. I would make sure your node gets sent back to the stone age. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    I hope that the region of a node will controll the amount and kind of resources around the node, meaning that a node on a mountain will have more ores around it and a node in a forrest will have more herbalism resources.
    That way the node economy could concentrate on the specific resource, and merchants would be able to plan better routes. 
    (Meaning that in this one node ores would be cheap and in some other node another kind of resource would be cheap, which would encourage caravans and merchants to travel between nodes)
  • Options
    I understand how the mayors/node-government will have control over the city/citizenry, but I'm not seeing a direct correlation to controlling how resources are gathered or by who.

Resources will be randomized, but I do agree with @Damokles in that certain areas should have higher chances of spawning certain resources.
  • Options
    @Damokles
    I agree. 
    I think they already want to do someting like that. They stated that resources occur in locations where you would expect them to be.
    Therefore areas without rocks shouldn't have ore veins. But in the mountains you have plenty of places where ore veins could be.

• Options
    No. just no.
  • Options
    No. just no.
    Lets emphasise this further.

Image result for babu saying no gif

• Options
    The objective of the original post was to ensure there are tools in-game available to those that become the elected leaders of a node to protect the regional resources that the players, loyal to that node, worked to unlock and prosper from.

The only currently available planned tool is to declare war on apposing nodes and players not associated with a node are still free to take as they please.

My position is that if I work hard with my clan and nodal friends to develop a node up to get access greater resources and benefits, I would like choose if it can be shared or not outside the group.

Is the consensus that resources should be completely free to take from wherever then?

• Options
    AkaBear said:
    The objective of the original post was to ensure there are tools in-game available to those that become the elected leaders of a node to protect the regional resources that the players, loyal to that node, worked to unlock and prosper from.

The only currently available planned tool is to declare war on apposing nodes and players not associated with a node are still free to take as they please.

My position is that if I work hard with my clan and nodal friends to develop a node up to get access greater resources and benefits, I would like choose if it can be shared or not outside the group.

Is the consensus that resources should be completely free to take from wherever then?

Yes. Free for whoever finds them ...or strong enough to take them. 
  • Options
    Why should nodes be allowed additional rights to protect 'their' resources?

If they want to protect them, they need to have players on sight to do such. Hiding behind rules, regulations, and edicts is for cowards. [In this particular case, IRL I 100% believe in rules, regulations, and edicts]