Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is the "Legendary" quest line a cash grab?

From the Open Beta email released today, there will be a "Legendary" quest line that players will have to purchase in order to see some of the game content. Even if the game is not "Pay to Win", I think this is a huge red flag, especially with a subscription based game. Do you agree?

There is no way I'm going to play a game that has micro-transactions for content. I have to pay for a subscription AND PAY AGAIN to do things within the game?!?! Paying for cosmetic upgrades is one thing, but this is content and should be covered by the subscription. Where does it end? Am I going to have to pay for 'content packs' every 2 months?

This reminds me of EA and the DLC packs for games like Sims 4. 

From the email:

Apocalypse will have Chapters with Adventure Paths that have 50 levels of progression available to players, and will update every 10-weeks.  This will give players a free progression path filled with unique cosmetics that are earnable through the collection of experience from playing any of the 3 game modes Apocalypse will offer.  There will be an optional Legendary Path that players can purchase.  Both paths provide daily quests and weekly quests for players to complete.  These quests give lore that relates to the story of Verra during the Fall, thousands of years before the start of the MMORPG.

We have decided that all Alpha One backers will have lifetime access to the Legendary path.  We will also be giving all Beta and Alpha Two backers access to the first Chapter's Legendary path, with over 50 cosmetics available to earn!

Comments

• Options
    If you don't want the cosmetics offered by the legendary path, don't buy it. It's just cosmetics after all. What's the fuss all about?
  • Options
    The money will be going into the servers so it's all for a good reason.
  • Options
    They're skins. It's like having skins on LoL or Fortnite or Dota. It's visual pleasure nothing more
  • Options
    My complaint is with the quest lines including lore/history. Not the cosmetics.
  • Options
    I agree. Cosmetics is one thing, but locking lore behind a paywall? Bad look. 
  • Options
    Sorry I must have missed the part where you were paying a subscription fee. No one is being charged a sub fee yet. If you WANT to purchase the legendary path to earn even more cosmetic loot while testing, its available to you. If you don't want it, don't buy it. This gives IS a way to monetize the testing that they are opening up to all sorts of people who aren't even entitled to test yet, if you didn't back alpha, then you are not entitled to anything yet, the game is in alpha phase one. If IS wants to add a million micro transactions for various optional cosmetics to keep the lights on during testing, then by all means.People are making mountains out of molehills and I am sure most of the ones doing so didn't even backed it at the level to have first phase alpha. IS is allowing as many people in as possible, they are taking care of the lifetime players while they do it, where is the problem?
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    That is A LOT of rewards locked behind the legendary path. Was not expecting 80% of the cosmetics to be in the legendary path. The adventure path only goes to level 25 also. Everything after that is blank while the Legendary path goes all the way to 50? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 13 rewards vs 61 rewards. Maybe remove some from the lengedary path and put them into the adventure path and fill it out until lvl 50 maybe? Take 12 items from the legendary path and put them in the adventure path and give 3 items for every other level. So that'll be 1 reward basically every 2 levels. That'll be 23 items in the adventure path and still almost 50 in the legendary. That makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Here's what the path's look like if anyones curious. https://imgur.com/a/MUKOsFo
  • Options
    If it is for this game... then it should be obtainable in this game. This is a very bad idea and going into a very bad direction. Don't separate your playerbase.
  • Options
    Apocalypse is a standalone title released in order to appeal to the masses and garner interest in the MMO. This is much like how Fortnite: Battle Royale was intended to draw interest to the Save the World game that had been in development for the last half decade. Its monetization system is entirely different from the MMO's, although the no-P2W aspect is consistent in both.

As for the concerns regarding unique lore/cosmetics transferring into the main game - as the MMO progresses in development, it is very likely that we will find most rewards (all being cosmetic) offered in the BR to be acquirable either through the shop, or in-world. At least, those that translate into the MMO.

Currently, with the BR being the only Ashes-related game that is currently playable, I find no issue with exclusive rewards being offered to those participating it its development. The importance of this testing warrants the incentives put into place by Intrepid, and the monetization allows them to continue working on this venue without impacting the progress of the MMO itself.

One could argue that Ashes could follow the path laid out by Fortnite and focus too heavily on the BR, should it become successful, but... to say that's a stretch is an understatement. BRs are definitely more of an FPS thing. We saw Realm Royale gain some attention for a while, but that died pretty quickly (Although a sizable part of that was the fault of the studio itself).

tl;dr: Everything's fine and the world has yet to burn. Well, technically it's just about to burn, but that won't happen until Horde mode   :blush:
  • Options
    Taik0s said:
    Sorry I must have missed the part where you were paying a subscription fee. No one is being charged a sub fee yet. If you WANT to purchase the legendary path to earn even more cosmetic loot while testing, its available to you. If you don't want it, don't buy it. This gives IS a way to monetize the testing that they are opening up to all sorts of people who aren't even entitled to test yet, if you didn't back alpha, then you are not entitled to anything yet, the game is in alpha phase one. If IS wants to add a million micro transactions for various optional cosmetics to keep the lights on during testing, then by all means.People are making mountains out of molehills and I am sure most of the ones doing so didn't even backed it at the level to have first phase alpha. IS is allowing as many people in as possible, they are taking care of the lifetime players while they do it, where is the problem?
    This is fair, but I would put a 'buyer beware' tag on this. How do we know this pay for "extra" content model doesn't continue after launch?

One of the main selling points from IS on AoC is that it is not a cash grab, and not pay to win. From the devs, its meant to be a game made by gamers, for gamers. Paying to unlock content (quests and lore/history) is not the same as paying for purely cosmetic changes.
  • Options
    That is A LOT of rewards locked behind the legendary path. Was not expecting 80% of the cosmetics to be in the legendary path. The adventure path only goes to level 25 also. Everything after that is blank while the Legendary path goes all the way to 50? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 13 rewards vs 61 rewards. Maybe remove some from the lengedary path and put them into the adventure path and fill it out until lvl 50 maybe? Take 12 items from the legendary path and put them in the adventure path and give 3 items for every other level. So that'll be 1 reward basically every 2 levels. That'll be 23 items in the adventure path and still almost 50 in the legendary. That makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Here's what the path's look like if anyones curious. https://imgur.com/a/MUKOsFo
    Its very disheartening that XP boosts are behind a pay wall. Its a pay to win mechanic, even if it is just a Beta.
  • Options
    They are not called "quest lines".  They are calles paths. These paths provide cosmetics. And as stated in the email both paths provide you with daily and weekly quests.

So we don't even know if there is more quests with the legendary path and if they reveal more lore.

And these "quests lines" are not some epic quests which will reveal huge chunks of lore. Most of the quests will be "collect 10 bows in one match" "kill 5 people in one match" "visit the following location". So these quests will probably just reveal tiny tidbits of lore.

Also because you were talking about subscription and "pay to win":
    You realise that this isn't the open beta for AoC the MMORPG? 
    Its the open beta for Apocalypse.
    Free to Play BattleRoyale,Siegemode and Hordemode.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Lol this Apocalypse is free to play...  It’s different then the MMO.  Did you actually listen to any of the steams or did you read a sentence somewhere and jump to conclusions?  So no, if they want to generate a a means of voluntary support through COSMETICS then I think that would be wise to say the least.
  • Options
    Credit to Jahlon for getting the hard answers and for others for transcribing it and making it pretty. If you are still all torches and pitchforks about Apocalypse please click the link and read. https://www.paradoxgaming.net/the-steven-answer
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Credit to Jahlon for getting the hard answers and for others for transcribing it and making it pretty. If you are still all torches and pitchforks about Apocalypse please click the link and read. https://www.paradoxgaming.net/the-steven-answer
    Reading through it all, Steven's response also explains why we've had so much of a focus on the Battle Royale mode lately. In order to be able to hosts server tests of the magnitude Intrepid intends within a time-frame that will still allow that data and the ensuing alterations to be applied on the MMO's servers, they need Apocalypse to be a fully functional game ASAP. As in released to the public within a ridiculously short period of time, especially considering the initial state of the MMO upon which Apocalypse is based.

In order to do this, they need to expend more resources at a more rapid rate than anticipated, thus the insertion of the pay model into the BR. The devs also need to accomplish in a very short time what they would have had months or years to pull together - servers to accommodate hordes of players numbering in the hundreds of thousands. And in order to make the changes necessary to accomplish all this in such a challenging time-frame, they need tons of information from running more and more players through the game - thus the inclusion of beta testers, and the forthcoming complete withdrawal of play-restrictions.

So basically, after making exemplary progress on the MMO, meeting every planned deadline and being weeks if not months ahead of schedule, instead of taking it easy on themselves by maintaining their good pace and facing issues as they arise, they said, "Screw it, let's get this server sh*t show out of the way so we won't have to deal with it later" (Probably paraphrased a bit), and upped their pace even further. Now they're designing and optimizing servers along with a secondary game with which the servers can be tested, while still creating the core systems and mechanics of the game itself.

I'm starting to better understand why we're seeing more of Sleepy Steven lately.
  • Options
    I don't fully understand it all.
    I just hope nothing is remove, not a single cosmetic, I hope over the years I can earn everything and never need to rush.
    I think the legendary chapters are free for me anyway based on my support package I bought.
  • Options
    I'm a lore freak, and I understand how you feel, but none of the lore will be locked behind a paywall once the items are out they will be able to read them. it's like getting a book with lore inside you to have to pay for it or wait for a wiki to upload it (looking at GW here)
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    And some items will be one offs in the shop.
    As said, you have to spend money and play the game to unlock the skin. Was it EA or activision that resently did this with a game after the reviews of the game. Of course, they also hid it behind progression that was long to do, but you could pay even more to skip it. Yes we get to play the game. But we are also testing the game, and have to deal with all the issues, so they can release a better game, which will give it better reviews. And now they are hiding stuff behind a paywall. And i bet you, the nicest items will be those you have to pay for.
    Oh, so the paid path also gives xp boost, so it goes even faster. Like the company's people hate
  • Options
    All this complaining and NOBODY has explained how an xp boost for apocalypse equals P2W. If you consider getting cosmetics faster P2W, then you need to speak with a therapist. A professional therapist, not just a friend or family member.
  • Options
    If inviting 100's of thousands of players who will stress the login and grouping servers with the hope that the initial launch of Ashes will be much more successful than the majority of past MMOs then I am all for it. Even if I'm so bad at BRs that I change my handle to "CannonFodder" most of the time.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I understand where the OP is coming from and if I wasn't already a Lifetime supporter, I would be looking askance at the two paths, especially as the free path doesn't offer any rewards past level 25; as that does seem a little odd.  But, on the other hand it is free and you get to "play" as much as anyone else.

On a tangential note, I'm wondering if you could gain experience just by being fodder for those who are actually good at BR?  I'm so bad at this. :s
  • Options
    If I leave my CC on file, will they just feed me lore until the MMO release?
  • Options
    Monetising a testing opportunity to even more quickly develop the MMO is a VERY clever idea. I'm looking forward to the impact of Apocalypse on the MMO development.
  • Options
    It's just cosmetics, I mean let's be real people will bitch no matter what, we are getting no p2w so far and that is something Intrepid are sticking to, yet people still find something to complain about to be more precise some people can't accept the fact that their wand will be white instead of purple....
  • Options
    I love looking at the percentages :) most of this community seems to be shaping up pretty damn well with only 19% so far not knowing what a cash grab/P2W actually is.
  • Options
    Assuming it is what Steven says it is, and it just a way to pay for maintaining the servers for Apocalypse I don't see it as an issue.  All you get for paying for it is some additional cosmetics for the MMO.
  • Options
    Morashtak said:
    If inviting 100's of thousands of players who will stress the login and grouping servers with the hope that the initial launch of Ashes will be much more successful than the majority of past MMOs then I am all for it. Even if I'm so bad at BRs that I change my handle to "CannonFodder" most of the time.  My actual name in many games IS CannonFodder LOL.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    A) Apocalypse is not AoC and these quests are only for Apocalypse;
    B ) The quests do not offer extra content, just more cosmetics;
    C) This is just another way to support the game and it is entirely up to us if we want to do it or not.

So yeah, stop being a scab ;):p
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Of course it is a cash grab, they had no need to make this, they could make this mode for testing without any of this monetization but who cares? It's not on our MMORPG, so let them grab as much money as they can, I personally wont be giving a single cent.

But if they keep the mode even after the game is launched, they then need this monetization and more money to Intrepid, more money to our MMORPG.