Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Identity Crisis

I posted this in the alpha discussion board but I dont even think people are using that forum anymore so i figured id post here since it seems to be ok now.

Is it just me, or is anyone else having a difficult time building an identity with these avatars? Every time i log in, I see a flamboyant version of jamie lannister, with product in his cute spiked hair, adorned with this shiny, girly armor as if he just left a medieval fashion show. Where's the grit? Even the base armor that we start with is this questionably-stitched, tailor-fitted tight ass tunic, and a pair of skinny yoga pants. Cant my guy please be a badass? Pleeeease....I'm fine with sweaty rags and scratched plate. 

Basically, our characters look really weak and pathetic. The shiny shit we've seen so far leaves a sour taste in my mouth, like this is just another eastern mmo with fortnite items lying around, where the characters all look like pansies, and even the tanks look like an exaggerated metro ben affleck.

Comments

• Options
    Well considering we don't have customization options yet to allow us to change how our characters look, it's a bit premature to complain about how our characters look...
  • Options
    Well they had to use one generic female/male. It's hard to please everyone with one character. 
    The character editor will be out sometime before launch. Then we can judge how gritty you can make your character.

About armors there are already two or three recent discussions. Maybe check them out before we start another armor discussion round here.
    But baseline is that there are already lots of artworks and designs out there which prove that not every armor will be as shiny and ornate as the BR armor.
  • Options
    Holy-Shiv said:

Basically, our characters look really weak and pathetic. The shiny shit we've seen so far leaves a sour taste in my mouth, like this is just another eastern mmo with fortnite items lying around, where the characters all look like pansies, and even the tanks look like an exaggerated metro ben affleck.
    Look here, they just updated the character customization just for you. Have fun.

Image result for character customization screen

• Options
    Are you really complaining about how your character looks when they're basically using an unmodified T-pose no name jobber that probably isn't even the default model for a merchant all before there's ANY character creation option? Seriously man? They just gave us a female model to play just over a week ago. Calm down. Your lucky the character even has a face. 
  • Options
    Can't believe I'm reading this.....I would say that right now they are not very concerned with how characters look, because unsurprisingly there are much more important things to take care of before we start getting into character customization.
  • Options
    So... appearance > the game actually functioning?
  • Options
    Is it me or is there a larger number of stupid threads appearing than normal?
  • Options
    Is it me or is there a larger number of stupid threads appearing than normal?
    No this always happens, before it was a new pvp thread every day.
  • Options
    @whitedude31
    It's not just you.
    I guess AoC-Apocalypse is waking a lot of uninformed people from their slumber.
    I fear we have hard times ahead starting Dec. 18th.
  • Options
    I appreciate all the responses :) You're all so kind. I understand there's no character creation tool yet, and that the game is still in development. I clearly failed at getting a few laughs out of it. Im fine with metro ben affleck and his yoga pants for now.
  • Options
    Holy-Shiv said:
    I appreciate all the responses :) You're all so kind. I understand there's no character creation tool yet, and that the game is still in development. I clearly failed at getting a few laughs out of it. Im fine with metro ben affleck and his yoga pants for now.
    Honestly the lack of emojis made this post so serious it's hard to say if it's a joke or not, pop a smiley from time to time and it will be gud.
  • Options
    I really wasnt trying to piss anyone off. I was trying to be humorous while also bringing to light a concern ive been having lately. I understand this is all just a testing phase. i was just slightly curious if this is the direction theyre going with the game. Will the fortnite items lying around be a part of the MMO? Thats just one concern. I dont think people are going to want to see glowing items all over the place. 

And i know i could have been a bit more sensitive regarding the avatars and armor. I just want some kind of confirmation that most of the characters and their armor arent going to look like an even more exaggerated form of Loras Tyrell. I know we arent going to get answers. I just wanted a discussion, mainly to see how many people were genuinely excited to be frolicking around as these pansies, or if anyone else was hoping that somewhere down the line we might actually have armor that feels masculine rather than what we have now, which is the exact opposite.

And to the guy who said there are already discussions on the armor, i looked all over and didnt find anything relating to my curiosities.

Again, sorry if this felt like trolling to anyone. Ive thrown down almost 10k on this game. Ive backed the ever-loving shit out of it, still do, and will beyond release. Just curious about the direction, as are we all.
  • Options
    Holy-Shiv said:
    And to the guy who said there are already discussions on the armor, i looked all over and didnt find anything relating to my curiosities.
    Take a look at the following threads. 
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/37895/omg-armor-design/p1
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/40451/disappointing-gear-design/p1

A lot of people have posted some of the know armors and artworks of armors. Feel free to demand more  ;)

• Options
    I don't see any skeleton or dead people and you don't hear me complaining. but really IS add undead already!
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I don't see any skeleton or dead people and you don't hear me complaining. but really IS add undead already!
    They’re in there, just buried underground where they belong.
  • Options
    Atama said:
    nagash said:
    They’re in there, just buried underground where they belong.
    Atama - 1 Nagash - 0
  • Options

I always win in the end
  • Options
    The male character looks fine I think this is more of a Insecure Crisis on your end buddy.
  • Options
    The male character looks fine I think this is more of a Insecure Crisis on your end buddy.
    Probably just the lack of a beard :lol:

You all win. I'll shut up.

• Options
    nagash said:

I always win in the end
    Who said Atama is human ;) ?