Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Chinese 'Online Ethics Review Committee'

There is a very strong chance that Ashes of Creation will be baned by the

Chinese 'Online Ethics Review Committee'

based on the list of games posted in news report over at MMORPG.com.

Comments

• Sucks for the Chinese players then. Will impact Intrepid exactly zero.
  • Fuck those greedy chinese, all they do is flood any game they can with Bots.. 
  • Chinese tend to cheat much more than any other country of people. I don't really mind if they do ban AoC.
  • Won't affect intrepid or AoC arty all. Nothing to worry about
  • Wow.. interesting... in a bad way
  • then ashes truly will be a western MMO in every way?
  • nagash said:
    then ashes truly will be a western MMO in every way?
    As it should be 
  • Sucks for the Chinese players then. Will impact Intrepid exactly zero.
    Well, perhaps not zero, subs are subs afterall and China has a vast economy to tap. That being said...good.

dracdoc said:
    Wow.. interesting... in a bad way
    Personally, if your trying to have a game sans cheaters, getting the corrupt domestic Gov of China to ban your game and save IS the bad press of IP banning all of china is a blessing in disguise. 

The culture in that part of world is inherently devoid of the ability to understand the concept of the word "ethics". To the point that it is an open lampoon that there would even be an ethics committee in China. Lol. Watch, chineese versions of all of those banned games will emerge with worse P2W tactics and a pro china propaganda slant built into the stolen, er, domesticly arranged, product.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    The Chinese market is huge for video games. Well basically any industry. It's a very tempting market to try and tap.

I wouldnt blame IS if they tried.

But in doing so, I bet we get a "don't you guys have phones?" statement after the game starts to heavily cater to that mega-market.
  • Personally, if your trying to have a game sans cheaters, getting the corrupt domestic Gov of China to ban your game and save IS the bad press of IP banning all of china is a blessing in disguise. 

The culture in that part of world is inherently devoid of the ability to understand the concept of the word "ethics". To the point that it is an open lampoon that there would even be an ethics committee in China. Lol. Watch, chineese versions of all of those banned games will emerge with worse P2W tactics and a pro china propaganda slant built into the stolen, er, domesticly arranged, product.

Ah yes totally agree, let me rephrase my statement.  I think it's bad because us American's might think this could be a viable way forward and I don't like the way it smells.

But that said, I agree.. this actual thing is a blessing in disguise and China's general grasp on intellectual property is virtually non existent.  Don't be surprised to see a "Ashe of Beginning" game that looks EXACTLY like Ashes of Creation, only monetized to high hell.
  • nagash said:
    Are you still bitter that China made Blizzard remove all the skeletons from WoW?
  • Can't say I care much about this 'w'
  • Atama said:
    nagash said:
    Are you still bitter that China made Blizzard remove all the skeletons from WoW?
    They did what!
  • nagash said:
    Atama said:
    nagash said:
    They did what!
    Oh yeah that one is funny, I know some people mess with the game files to have that so their forsaken don't have bones sticking out.
  • Wow, I was not aware of all the cultural hate on the forums.
    You guys should be proud, humans very rarely surprise me with their nonsensical hate anymore.

In the end, if IS changes the core vision or alters their product to appease an entire nation is on them. If they can stay true to their vision while accommodating cultures that don't agree with the lack of culture we have in America good for them.

Perhaps a region locked server could solve most of the 'concerns' on this page.
  • Azathoth said:
    Wow, I was not aware of all the cultural hate on the forums.
    You guys should be proud, humans very rarely surprise me with their nonsensical hate anymore.

In the end, if IS changes the core vision or alters their product to appease an entire nation is on them. If they can stay true to their vision while accommodating cultures that don't agree with the lack of culture we have in America good for them.

I don't mind at all up to the point where they remove skeletons 
  • Azathoth said:

Im not sure where you see hate in this thread so far. There are no curses or hyperbolic statements made. 

There is certainly not a lack for culture in America, that is a silly statement.

Perhaps you think it is hatefull that we acknowledge the fact that thier culture is anti thema to a game that wants no cheaters. As a whole they dont see the problem with cheating, its just how you play the game to them.

A part of American culture, pertaining to games, is we would prefer to appreciate the art that is a video game and not try to defruad it and take the enjoyment, as we see it, out of it.

This sentiment is not malicious, but it is fact not opinion.

Also, why did you remove yourself from humanity? Maybe im reading it wrong, but it seems like you put yourself above humanity in your post, or at the least, removed from it.

• The game environment in China is very bad.That's why I play European and American servers.But please believe it will be better in CHINA.Time baptizes the uncivilized
  • @ChuckSteak, the video game culture you are referring to must be a small one. I have played many games where I know for sure Americans have exploited the games flaws, cheated, made bots, and otherwise made efforts to discredit a game that was fine until they engaged in modding it.

Also,
    Flatline said:
    Fuck those greedy chinese, all they do is flood any game they can with Bots.. 
    Creighton said:
    Chinese tend to cheat much more than any other country of people. I don't really mind if they do ban AoC.
    Here is both a curse and two statements that blanket the entire culture. Sorry you did not read all of them.

But you're right, my statement should not have been "Wow, I was not aware of all the cultural hate on the forums." it should have been "Wow, I was not aware that their was some cultural hate on the forums."
  • nagash said:
    Atama said:
    nagash said:
    They did what!
    Yes, it happened over a decade ago.

https://www.engadget.com/2007/07/10/china-removes-skeletons-from-world-of-warcraft/

• ....dammit flatline.  Ok i missed what he said. My bad. I stand by my comment though, dont get mad about it. They are just some cheat loving people. Why do you think its called a "chineese knock off"?
  • dO yOu GuYs NoT HaVe PhOnEs?

Meeting the Chinese Ethics Review is impossible with western style games that have an open chat system.

They cannot control/monitor your social credit score with an open speech online gaming platform.

AAA studios are even failing to capitilize as much as the desire too. Fortnite, Overwatch, League of legends don't make the cut with out "corrective action"

• Azathoth said:

There are a very big difference between "culture" and "autism". What china do is the later...
  • Azathoth said:
    @ChuckSteak, the video game culture you are referring to must be a small one. I have played many games where I know for sure Americans have exploited the games flaws, cheated, made bots, and otherwise made efforts to discredit a game that was fine until they engaged in modding it.

Also,
    Flatline said:
    Fuck those greedy chinese, all they do is flood any game they can with Bots.. 
    Creighton said:
    Chinese tend to cheat much more than any other country of people. I don't really mind if they do ban AoC.
    Here is both a curse and two statements that blanket the entire culture. Sorry you did not read all of them.

But you're right, my statement should not have been "Wow, I was not aware of all the cultural hate on the forums." it should have been "Wow, I was not aware that their was some cultural hate on the forums."
    There's always time to hate on the Chinese especially since they ruined PUBG with all the blatant hacking. Obviously it's not all of them but a great number of them are cheaters, their belief is "if you're not cheating you are not trying hard enough".
  • Atama said:
    nagash said:
    Atama said:
    nagash said:
    They did what!
    Yes, it happened over a decade ago.

https://www.engadget.com/2007/07/10/china-removes-skeletons-from-world-of-warcraft/

There will be a reckoning!!!
  • Here’s my opinion and it’s just an opinion.  China is the most heavily-populated country on Earth.  (Just barely, India has almost as many people and with that country’s growth rate they’ll be larger within a handful of years.)  There are many people there, a staggering number.

Also, the government in China is still controlled by the Communist Party.  Things there are heavily restricted, including (and especially) things related to cultural development or what might influence culture.  That means the pursuits of young people are heavily regulated and things like online video games and social media are strongly gated.

It’s not like it is out here in the west.  You can’t just casually decide you want to play a game and do it.  If you want to get into some of these online games you’re going to face barriers; many popular games are banned, there are curfews and time limits enforced by law.  If you want to be a real online gamer it’s going to take someone dedicated.

That’s naturally going to weed out casual players.  That sort of filter is going to ensure that you get a much higher percentage of people who have an interest in gaming beyond it being a hobby or casual fun.  So you get people who try to monetize it (gold farmers) or people who are obsessed and competitive (and feel the need to cheat to win at any cost).

Combine that filter with the overwhelming population of that country and you’re going to have a disproportionate number of bad actors. That says nothing bad about the Chinese people ethnically or culturally.  It doesn’t mean Chinese people are greedy and/or big cheaters.  But it does mean that there’s a justification for the negative stereotype leveled at Chinese players.  That’s totally unfair for those good and decent players from China who just love online gaming and are playing fair like everyone else, but it’s unavoidable.
  • They likely have a western vpn setup already to flood us with bots.