Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A Necessity for Nodes

I was discussing this with someone yesterday about our hopes for NOT having linear progression of Nodes. By this, I mean that I hope the Nodes will progress uniquely and carry their own region specific bonuses and characteristics that resemble the environment that progressing in that area might bring. Let me paint an example:

Say you have two Scientific Nodes on either side of the map. One of the Nodes, we will call Node A, is based in the deep Mountains where the Dwarven race is most prevalent. These are harsh and cold conditions, where inhabitants have dug deep into the rock to both escape Winters bite, and to mine for rock and mineral to further harden their warriors and fortifications. On the other end, you have Node B, which is located in the thick forest lands inhabited by Wood Elves and certain Humans, who make use of the abundance of foliage, wildlife, and lumber to both support their survival, as well as to build trade routes.

These two types of Scientific Nodes should progress differently, in that Node A will receive more bonuses to Mining, Armorsmithing, Weaponsmithing and Metalworking, while Node B will get bonuses to Herbalism, Leatherworking, Bowyer, and other Woodworking skills, as these skills correlate more realistically within the progressing environment. I think this would set in stone the true uniqueness that Intrepid is going for with Nodes, causing traveling person's to consider perhaps where they buy their goods. A Weapon Master searching for the highest quality of steel weapons and heavy armor will find significantly better goods at Node A than they would at Node B, and vice versa, a Ranger looking for tight-fitting Leathers and strong Bows will want to travel to the Forest to find the best quality.

This is just my two cents B)
~Simus Deathmax

Comments

• Options
    tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Related... it's too bad that every server's node type is static. It'd be nice if the node type was random.

Virtue is the only good.
  • Options
    CM KalezCM Kalez Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    well i think that adds alot more to the nodes but i dont think its a necessity.

that would really make each server identical because the nodes would have a stronger meta
    Kalez.png
  • Options
    FhinFhin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    hm.. I like the idea!
    what I don't like is its implications, let's say we get 2 scientific metros in server, like in your example it's 'relatively' balanced. But.. if there's only 1, let's say the forest one, that would imply that we have amazing bows, but armor can never hold up on that server.
    Qsb9psK.png
  • Options
    MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    While a very interesting idea if not implemented correctly it could lead to the min/maxing of node placement.

It would be fun to see variations but not if the entire server player base is shamed/forced by a alliance of guilds into specific placement of nodes.

Should the game become a rousing success one could see a Test Realm setup to try out major game changing mechanics like this in order to gauge the impact as well as modify it to have the intended consequence prior to implementing it in the game.
    owuEH4S.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would be interesting if node placement would depend on surrounding natural features imo.
    Like a scientific node would be more inclined to be near interesting biomes, and a commercial biome is near forrests, rivers or waycrossings. That would make it a bit more dynamic^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    Isnt that, to some extend already present but more extrem? You simply wont find those minerals in the deep lush forest and will either have to trade for necessities or finished products.
    Im not trying to downplay your idea, its just that its already logically integrated and a major drawing factor for a more immersive world that makes sense. I wont find the same wildlife in the mountains that i find in a forest. So in a sense every node can only develop in its unique way that the surrounding provides.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    @Simus ---- We don't have enough information on artisans yet, but to your point about 2 scientific nodes being different based on their habitats and their positioning related to the environment, I would think that the players who are a citizen of that node have a say also on the racial architecture of that node too. So I'm assuming that a "Dunir" race or dwarf should be able to sell stuff on the market related to dwarven culture. It's the players that make the difference.
    S3gcPiA.jpg
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    This may end up the case with Nodes. For example the sample town I use for a visual

Ra8etTr.jpg

That town up North at the base of the hills, if there is good ore in those hills, that town will no doubt have a smelter so you can Process what the Gatherers bring in.

If the number of Processing buildings a Mayor can build is limited, then the town to the south may not build a Smelting building, because the town up north will work in conjunction with them and bring Tier 1 goods down instead of Raw Materials.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think the nodes will be unique because across servers different racial majorities will appear in diffetent nodes, and that determines the asthetic. There will also be the local governments that choose different buildings and focuses. In addition based on how quickly which nodes hit certain levels, that will lock certain nodes from advancing.

I think having specialities develope due to the surrounding resources is a good idea. I would hate to have a meta structure as previously indicated that all the servers 'shoot' for.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    jahlon wrote: »
    This may end up the case with Nodes. For example the sample town I use for a visual

Ra8etTr.jpg

That town up North at the base of the hills, if there is good ore in those hills, that town will no doubt have a smelter so you can Process what the Gatherers bring in.

If the number of Processing buildings a Mayor can build is limited, then the town to the south may not build a Smelting building, because the town up north will work in conjunction with them and bring Tier 1 goods down instead of Raw Materials.

So are you thinking more that vassal nodes will have specializations based on their surroundings rather than the overall node itself? If so, that makes sense.
    ~Simus Deathmax
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Ra8etTr.jpg

why are they in the sea?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    nagash wrote: »

Ra8etTr.jpg

why are they in the sea?

Never heard of a laketown before? Skeletons cant swimm after all :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »

Ra8etTr.jpg

why are they in the sea?

we just walk across the sea floor like badasses
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Ra8etTr.jpg

why are they in the sea?

Did you not watch pirates of the Caribbean
  • Options
    nick10281 wrote: »

Ra8etTr.jpg

why are they in the sea?

Yes i did, and they still could not swim. :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options

Ra8etTr.jpg

why are they in the sea?

you are right ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    nick10281nick10281 Member
    edited April 2019

Ra8etTr.jpg

why are they in the sea?

Then what nagash said is valid no?
    And how did they get on the boat?
  • Options

Ra8etTr.jpg

why are they in the sea?

we just walk across the sea floor like badasses

Will there be an underwater undead skeletal Node in AoC?
    ~Simus Deathmax
  • Options

Ra8etTr.jpg

why are they in the sea?

Then what nagash said is valid no?
    And how did they get on the boat?

I did say the walked like badasses
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Ra8etTr.jpg

why are they in the sea?

I just thought it was some premo Kentucky Bluegrass...
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @nagash
    It would be funny if swimming had a weight restriction :D
    Example: Plate and chainmail wearing characters cant swim, because the weight would pull them under ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @nagash
    It would be funny if swimmng had a weight restriction :D
    Example: Plate and chainmail wearing characters cant swim, because the weight would pull them under ;D

Ah yes, the ol Frederick Barbarossa treatment.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    @Damokles but I enchanted mine with the fins of a mermaid priest, I'm actually faster than a conventional motorboat in my platemail.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819