Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Druids and possible renames for classes

DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
As always: Does anyone else think that Priest/Ranger should be called Druids instead of Protector?
What other classes would you think deserve a rename?
(Highsword for example sounds a tad silly imo) :D
a6XEiIf.gif

Comments

• Options
    HandOfUnityHandOfUnity Member, Intrepid Pack
    It seems like the names are quite set already sadly but I would love to see a Druid in the game in some way, shape or form.
    0viv4khrmh7a.gif
  • Options
    CeiventCeivent Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    Tank, i would love to rename Tank to anything other than Tank.....
  • Options
    FhinFhin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    a rename the classes thread in less than 24h, now it really feels like the forums again ^^
    Qsb9psK.png
  • Options
    sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Perhaps their vision of a protector doesn't fit the usual druid expectations, so they don't want to mislead players. The names of the class don't bother me. Personally I feel the names are sort of cosmetic. It is how the class plays that will make me interested.
  • Options
    trojotrojo Member
    Damokles wrote: »
    As always: Does anyone else think that Priest/Ranger should be called Druids instead of Protector?
    What other classes would you think deserve a rename?
    (Highsword for example sounds a tad silly imo) :D

A lot of the current class names are underwhelming. I personally would like "Druid" for Priest/Ranger, "Monk" for Fighter/Priest, and "Berserker" for Fighter/Tank. If someone objects that these classes traditionally have special armor and weapon restrictions that are not likely to be compatible with AoC's class system, I would point out that those traditional restrictions are not immutable laws carved in stone handed down from on high-- plenty of games have done away with such restrictions (e.g. Berserkers in EQ2, or Monks in Diablo III) and it was fine.

If the current class names were interesting and unique, I perhaps would feel different, but having so many of the classes being generic-sounding combinations of prefix and affix (Highsword, Tellsword, Spellsword, Spellstone, Spellmancer, Spellshield, Nightshield, etc), they all kind of run together and sound very boring and samey. Ideally, every class combination should have a unique name with some personality. If not Druid, Monk, etc, then please at least something more interesting than the existing "____sword" paradigm.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    No, can we please postpone these discussion until we actually know the class skills/abilities and their identity?
    Would be great. You know actually basing your opinion on some facts and not just, what you believe the class might be and feel like.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Grisu wrote: »
    No, can we please postpone these discussion until we actually know the class skills/abilities and their identity?
    Would be great. You know actually basing your opinion on some facts and not just, what you believe the class might be and feel like.

Why do you want us to contain our imagination? And it wont change a thing if it is later or now.
    Also: Why should we listen to you? If you think that everything in the forums has to be based on facts then half of all posts should be deleted...
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I tend to agree. I feel like druid is too much of a fantasy mainstay to not make a list of 64 classes somewhere. It's a classic class after all. It would be like Paladin not being on the list. There are some other class names that aren't my favorite and seem a bit confusing. The use of "shadow" was a bit heavy but I am curious to see how the classes will play out first as well.
    signature.png
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    The basic of an argument is to have a basis to make an argument.You talk about change to something that doesn't even exist yet even theoretically, or have you seen the class skills, identity and augmentation to change the flavor to those class names to make sense?
    I specifically used, can, as well as a questionmark. I didn't tell anyone to do anything, I asked, but good to know where your priorities lie.
    If you want change to a gamesystem to something better, you will have to base your opinion on facts. Otherwise, how would you know that it's better for Ashes the way you argue for?
    DistantExemplaryArgusfish-size_restricted.gif

Calling this thread an opinion even is a stretch and just to adress everything using misdirection doesn't make your "point" more valid. Other threads are irrelevant for your argument. See above for clarification.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    nope - I actually think Protector is a much more fitting name for cleric/ranger than Druid.

I agree some of the classes have a certain formula behind them that takes away a sense of complete uniqueness, but at the same time I'm glad the game's not trying to shoehorn in the same old list of class names from every other RPG.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Given the breath of the Druid culture and religion, a class named Druid wouldn't represent them well. An archetype of Druid would have been more fitting.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    ShadowCreptShadowCrept Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @LunarSky there can never be too much Shadow 😝
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    not going to happen now get away from the tree you hippy ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace