Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Maybe APOC needs a darker aura...

2»

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    dygz wrote: »
    Again... the BR is the beginning of the fall.
    We should expect Siege and Horde to be darker in tone as Corruption progresses across the region with each mode addition.

see that's not true. The BR is set during the fall as most of the populace has already left Verra and in the BR we are the last one who failed to leave.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lyiat wrote: »
    Autumnleaf wrote: »
    Lyiat wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Autumnleaf wrote: »
    Lumbermark wrote: »
    The question I have is does apocalypse look like well the apocalypse

it certainly doesn't

then we have a problem ^^

Looks kind of like my little pony, vivid and colorful.

its not that bad but it should feel a lot grimmer

So wait. Just to clarify on this, you want Intrepid to spend a lot of time on a test mode making assets for the test mode that they may not be able to use in the full game (as the full game is not a corrupted wasteland)... and yet you got annoyed to hear they 'wasted time' on making a hidden sandal that at most took an hour of someone's free time to implement?

I don't need APOC to have a bunch of specialty assets to make it feel thematic. It's something to waste time with. You want to know what the corruption looks like? Run into the storm wall. Look around. It's terrifying. They don't need to do any more than they have.

They set APOC as a place where a huge disaster happened enough to warrant an evacuation of the entire planted, people are killing each other and soon they will have to face a huge horde of monsters, this does warrant a dark mood, it's logical and fits perfectly with what they present to us. The sandal is just an easter egg/tribute to steven himself, it has nothing to do with the game lore as far as we know and it is really stupid to consider a sandal on the same level as the mood of the game. It's like somebody making concept art for a horror game but using a colorful and vivid palette that screams my little pony because "it does not need to be themathic" of course it does.

And if this was the full game, I'd agree with you. But it's not. It's a test for Ashes of Creation. There's no point for them to generate a bunch of assets to be used for this mode that can't be used for the full game. It's a waste of resources, a waste of time, and frankly the BR has been bloody delayed enough. I'll take my bright sunny apocalypse because I know what APOC is. A testing ground for assets, mechanics, and server backend for the MMO I paid for.

It doesn't need anything beyond what it was built to do.

APOC is going to be a standalone title along with the MMO, futhermore the world of Verra was ravaged by a cataclysm and corruption has spread over it, there is no reason that a dark theme would not suit it it's why I proposed the idea of a graphic option that allows us to change the lighting up to suit our needs. However a vivid and colorful palette would be out of place most of the time.
  • JvckpotJvckpot Member
    edited April 2019
    But when do the servers come back online.

Problem here seems to be developer communication. A lot of people caught off guard by the BR to test combat mechanics. Part of the reason I hate BR is that it's basically an unfinished project but in this case I was excited to play as a concept of testing.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    We should expect Siege and Horde to be darker in tone as Corruption progresses across the region with each mode addition.

see that's not true. The BR is set during the fall as most of the populace has already left Verra and in the BR we are the last one who failed to leave.
    What I said is true.
    Beginning of the fall means it's during the fall.
    Most of the Humans, Orcs, Dwarves and Elves have left Verra.
    Life for gets worse for those who failed to leave as Corruption continues to spread - causing the survivors to try to fight for safety by using the Castles as havens from Corruption.
    And the Verra darkens even more once the Horde arrives.

The BR is the beginning of the darkness.
    That darkness worsens with Castle Siege.
    And the darkness worsens again with Horde.

Although - that is figurative darkness.
    The devs have never said that it's going to be literal darkness. AFAIK
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

What I said is true.
    Beginning of the fall means it's during the fall.
    Most of the Humans, Orcs, Dwarves and Elves have left Verra.
    Life for gets worse for those who failed to leave as Corruption continues to spread - causing the survivors to try to fight for safety by using the Castles as havens from Corruption.
    And the Verra darkens even more once the Horde arrives.

The BR is the beginning of the darkness.
    That darkness worsens with Castle Siege.
    And the darkness worsens again with Horde.

Although - that is figurative darkness.
    The devs have never said that it's going to be literal darkness. AFAIK

I know the never said it was going to be dark but the theme feels so out of place with the lore we have so far and the fact that we are fighting and killing each other just to survive. All I can hope is as you said it gets darker over time in the next game modes
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace