Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

*NEW CLASS NAMES v2.0*

StrykerzStrykerz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
So im re-posting this into the new forums from the Old forums. Ive made small updates due to better name suggestions from the old forums. As mentioned in my original post, I welcome all constructive criticism but give reasons why you chose a different name instead of just saying "I dont like this name, it should be this". I encourage all discussions.
Now for some reason I can not upload the pic of the updated names so the Imgur link is below until I can upload the pic.

https://imgur.com/a/JnNFfFr

Old Forum Post
I put up this list because like many of you i was a little disappointed at some of the names. I know many have come before me and given their own preferences for names of different classes and I welcome CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.
If you plan on coming into this thread and just crying and moaning about how we dont know how each class will perform etc blah blah so there is no point in changing names. Dont bother. I want this game to succeed as much as all of you, and this is just my opinion and/or suggestions of better names for each class combo based on how I picture that particular combo best fits.
So with that being said, Llllllllllets get ready to rumblllllllllle.

Fighter

-Berserker(Fighter/Fighter) – Charging into battle, super aggressive is what comes to mind for a Fighter/Fighter. Weapons master seemed to tame to fit. Also according to the devs, all classes can use all weapons so every class is a weaponsmaster. Berserker or Warrior should be the name.

-Slayer(Fighter/Rogue) – Shadowblade is one I thought was more suited to Rogue/Fighter. Rogue being the shadow archetype. Duelist is just as underwhelming as Weaponmaster and scout imho. TBH, I really couldnt think of another class name and originally had Executioner but a person from the old forum post came up with Slayer. Thought that suited this combo better

-Templar(Fighter/Cleric) - Highsword is one of those names on this list which uses the common words( Spell,Sword,Shield, Night), which from reading Discord and the forums alot of people have made comments on that they are used too often. It was a toss up between Templar and Crusader and I only chose Templar after watching Aggelos YT vid on classes

-Mercenary(Fighter/Bard) - On the old forum post this was Pirate, but a suggestion was made for Mercenary. Merc > Pirate imo. :)

Tank

-Guardian(Tank/Tank)- This was changed to Juggernaught on the old forums then back to Guardian

-DeathKnight(Tank/Rogue)- Nightshield was another of those that seemed like it was thrown together. ( Not saying AoC Devs are bad at names, just want to get away from using the common names too often). A Tank with Rogue/Assassination augments seems to go well with DeathKnight

-Harbinger(Tank/Mage) – Mages seemed to be the hardest for me to name, as I dont play caster classes in MMOs or any other rpg. I read somewhere that Harbinger was like a forerunner of impending doom, Eg, Harbinger of Doom, so thinking as a Tank being the front runner of any group and bringing with them the rest of the party to smash face thought this could be fitting, but honestly this is open to new suggestions. I just wanted to get away from Spellshield.

-Provoker(Tank/Bard) – This name i think came from KryptonianJedi YT vid. Thought it was good. Tank taunting ,verbally, a boss or mob etc. Bard good with words/voice. Ye good pick KJ imo

Rogue

-ShadowBlade(Rogue/Fighter) – This was more suited to Rogue/Fighter.
Shadow = Rogue, Blade = Fighter. Duelist was/is too meh.

-Vindicator(Rogue/Tank) – I forget where I heard this, but with the whole getting vengeance/revenge that goes with Rogues, it makes sense.

-Phantom(Rogue/Mage) – No real reasoning behind this name otherthan i wanted to get away from NightSpell. For some reason I pictured the comic The Phantom, but tbh I never really watched or read The Phantom so not overly familiar with his abilities in the comics

-Cultist(Rogue/Summoner) – I put Cultist here instead of Rogue/Cleric because I immediately thought of the Cultists in Diablo3 in ACT all standing around in a circle summoning their demons and they did attack you with their daggers.

-Monk(Rogue/Cleric) – A rogue with possible healing abilities, named it Monk. Enough said ( Drops Mic) xD

Ranger

-Stalker(Ranger/Rogue) – Scout was very Meh! As well. I heard the name Tracker possibly from Aggelos YT Vid but seeing as( I assume) this will be similar to the Predator(Rogue/Ranger), Stalker sounded more badass.

-Marksman (Ranger/Ranger) – Was originally Deadeye on the old forum post changed to Marksman as per suggestions from Old forum posts

-Seeker(Ranger/Mage) - This name was from Aggelos YT vid. I suck at names for mages but thought this was better than Scion.

-Naturalist(Ranger/Summoner) – I sorted pictured this combo kinda like a Chloromancer but didnt like that name. I can see a Ranger(Being nature based in RPGS quite often), spawning some nature plant whatever when attacking etc.

-Druid(Ranger/Cleric) - Alot of people, me also, were a little disappointed and surprised there was no Druid class in this list. A nature based attacker with healing abilities(again im making assumptions here about heals) goes well with the name Druid. Some might say Cleric/Ranger was/is a better option which comes down to personal opinion. Do you see Druids more as Heals first then some damage abilities or a Dps'er with heals?

-Infiltrator(Ranger/Bard) – The 007 class. ;p. A bard being good with words, manipulative,, talking his way into places.

Mage

-Arbiter(Mage/Tank) – I read somewhere that Arbiter was the Mage/Tank class of Rift so thats why i named it so. No other ideas. Better than Spellstone imo.

-Illusionist(Mage/Rogue) – I kinda pictured the Mesmer from GW2 when thinking Mage/Rogue, master of deception through magic.

-Elementalist(Mage/Ranger) – This or TEMPEST were both good imo. Magic user with a nature aspect as well.

-Archon(Mage/Mage) – POWER OVERWHELMING! Plus it also means ruler in ancient greek so a Mage/Mage would be the highest form of Mage.

-Sage(Mage/Cleric) – This name was from Aggelos YT Vid. Thought it fit well. Better than Acolyte

Summoner

-Reaper(Summoner/Fighter) – Wildblade was crap. Inspiration came from the 2handed Necro in GW2, plus who doesnt want to be a Reaper. :)

-Revenant(Summoner/Rogue) – Google definition - a person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead. Too many names with Mancer in their name. Revenant sounds more kickass

-Mystic(Summoner/Mage) - I was at a loss what the put here. Spellmancer was again overuse of words. Open to other suggestions imo. This was the last one I filled in tbh.

Cleric

-Crusader(Cleric/Fighter) – Interchangable ebtween Templar and Crusader. Just comes down to personal opinion of which is a heals first and fighter second.

-Aegis(Cleric/Tank) - When looking at Aegis it always came back to some form of protection type meaning. Apostle doesnt sound very tanky or protection-y. ;p

-Betrayer(Cleric/Rogue) – This name came to me as soon as I saw Cleric with Rogue. Kinda of like an Anti Cleric. Shadow Priest, but didnt want to use that name as it was too simple.

-Seraph (Cleric/Cleric) – This was originally Inquisitor but not alot of people liked that name and so I chose Seraph as the Google defitnion suited this role perfectly imo.
seraph
/ˈsɛrəf/
noun
1. an angelic being, regarded in traditional Christian angelology as belonging to the highest order of the ninefold celestial hierarchy, associated with light, ardour, and purity.

-Herald(Cleric/Bard) – Came up with this while chatting to KryptonianJedi on his YT vid. A Healer that is good with words, storytelling etc. I pictured one of those priests in the town square ringing their bell making some huge announcement

Bard

-Liberator(Bard/Fighter) – I am William Wallace, and I see a whole army of my countrymen here in defiance of Tyranny. You've come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do without freedom? Will you fight? Aye, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least awhile. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies. That they may take our lives, but they will never take our FREEDOM!!.

-Wanderer(Bard/Ranger) – Didnt like Songwarden. I kinda pictured someone roaming the countryside(Ranger), and sitting with strangers telling stories of battles past.

-Seer(Bard/Mage) – Google Def - a person of supposed supernatural insight who sees visions of the future. Fortuneteller type, but Fortuneteller is a crap name aswell so used Seer. Actually I think this name might of been from Aggelos YT vid possibly.

-Invoker(Bard/Summoner) – Google Def- One who conjures up spirits with incantations. Someone who induces as an inevitable consequence.

-Prophet(Bard/Cleric) – This name came from KryptonianJedi as well. It fits well imo.

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Cleric/ranger should totally be druid
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • grisugrisu Member
    The forum is up just two days and there are already 3 namechange threads, two of which where ressurected, cause we totally missed them.

As said in the other generic "change the name thread" please just leave it already, at least until you actually know how classes will be represented. You can be dissatisfied when you actually know how well those names fit then thematically as well as lore wise.
    There is no creative content in this, it's just a bunch of names that in itself, subjectively sound cooler.(what has google definition to do with old school dnd archetypes that it leans too? what has william wallace to do with the world of Verra? I get he point but it still has no value to ashes) They have no ties to the classes in Ashes and no basis on which to call them more appropriate.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I posted this in another of these threads but it can't hurt to repeat it. Steven has stated recently that the names are not going to change.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • I seriously cannot understand peoples obsession with these names. It's just class names and don't have any importance to the design of the game. What does anyone gain from changing the names? "immersion"? It is all opinion on that matter.
  • I get that people are used to name conventions because most RPGs recycle them...personally I'm happy the class list breaks away from that a bit and (probably) tries to keep its integrity with Verra's lore.
  • lmao its just a class name, get over the whole renaming them. If you dont like them, dont play that class, and go RP with another one.
    wcjKYgH.png
  • ShadowCreptShadowCrept Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Umm I prefer soulbow for that specific name instead of Druid but I think the protector name could be switched to Druid as it would fit better but soulbow just sounds bad ass to me
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have necromancer so all the rest are just tools
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • azurlazurl Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    if anything, they should at least rename acolyte to sage, muuuuuch better fitting, acolyte is the lowest shit in church. lighting candles bleh.