Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The radio silence on Tulnar progress has me concerned.

OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Tulnar were a very ambitious concept and I feel worried about how they're doing. I know that there are aspects to them that make them difficult, different body shapes require different techniques for getting armor to fit them, multiple features like fur or talons or tails and tentacles are also hard.

I'm curious if this is actually something that they've had to change the scope of their ambition on or if its something they've not figured out, whether they can do it.

With crowfall's development they stated that one of the hardest things for their budget was having multiple races with multiple armor sets and that, that limited the scope of what they could do. Then they pulled extra funding and pushed for that later down the road requiring a redesign.

What sort of things about Tulnar is intrepid capable of saying?

Comments

• Options
    burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One
    Zomnivore wrote: »
    Tulnar were a very ambitious concept and I feel worried about how they're doing. I know that there are aspects to them that make them difficult, different body shapes require different techniques for getting armor to fit them, multiple features like fur or talons or tails and tentacles are also hard.

I'm curious if this is actually something that they've had to change the scope of their ambition on or if its something they've not figured out, whether they can do it.

With crowfall's development they stated that one of the hardest things for their budget was having multiple races with multiple armor sets and that, that limited the scope of what they could do. Then they pulled extra funding and pushed for that later down the road requiring a redesign.

What sort of things about Tulnar is intrepid capable of saying?

I think the information release about Tulnar is going as intended. If I remember correctly, we werent supposed to hear about/see tulnar until the alphas. I may be wrong on this though. If I am, I'm sure one of the more knowledgable people will correct me.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2019
    The most problematic part for fitting armour to different species is how they will "stretch" around bigger and smaller races. They will have to fix the armour textures for the stretching areas.
    The scaling is always a ton of work.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not all achievements from the KS were guaranteed to be in the game on launch. I hope the Tulnar are though.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    azathoth wrote: »
    Not all achievements from the KS were guaranteed to be in the game on launch. I hope the Tulnar are though.

I'm fairly certain the tul'nar were confirmed as being part of the launch

However it would make sense for the devs to get the planned races ready first and work on the tul'nar later. We do have a lot of concept art for the race, so I wouldn't be worried as of yet.

800px-tul%27nar1.png
    creature_silhouettes.png
  • Options
    OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    You see, to me, I know that silhouette concept art is very very first pass kind of stuff and beyond that initial investment there are no technical limitations to creating conceptart. However the devs have said they have a very ambitious cosmetics system and that leads me to thinking that because the tulnar are basically almost another set of races all together with how varied and diverse they can be, that, that might have hampered their development.

We haven't seen things past this first blush.

actually the interview today with Paradox Gaming gives us a bit more insight into Tulnar so I guess they're still working on them.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    That's always the problem with words, ambitious on the creation of the character creator? ambition on the fitting all those armor pieces to the tulnar? What does it refere too.

Anyway Steven just talked on stream about them a little bit and from that, I don't think it will be too difficult overall to adjust for Tulnar. The 3 mainparts that might differentiate them, for armors, are the head(long snouts), the tail (clipping with capes and stuff) and if I cought that correctly the backwards knees like in the 2nd row silhouette.
    Even WoW adressed legs like that already with open shoes and leg armor will never be a problem they are just in a "kneeling position" really. The helmets might just be open in the front and the tail, well the tail and cape interaction might be a bit of an additional hardship to code correctly. (still remembering Gw2 "we want to make capes good" and they didn't happen at all for the 2 years I played on and off. Also the Charr race clipping was horrendous)

Point is Tulnar are not THAT different in bodyshapes. No tentacles sprouting randomly out off them as far as I am aware off.
    I am looking forwar to the character creation tho, using one of the 3 tulnar race bases and having sliders for the other 2 influences to drag them into a more feral, lizard or human shape sounds really interesting.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    wrecktumwrecktum Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    you might wanna jump on twitch, Steven joined Jahlon on a livestream a few hours ago, he talked about tulnar a little bit.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    The twitch interview will be on YouTube at 310 PDT (have to wait out my 24 hour clock on Twitch)

and yes there is several mins of Tulnar discussion in the video.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    ShadowCreptShadowCrept Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Tulnar are slated to be shown during alphas if that is still the case we wont know for sure, worse comes to worse they scrap the race *err i mean best case scenario* noone wants furries running around... especially muted ugly ones at that
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
  • Options
    @Shadowcrept
    Mate, I would watch what I am sayin'!
    If anything happens, they could just make them into an expansion race. Would even make sense to be honest...
    Base game = Traitors *cough* *cough* I mean the self-exiles return to Vera.
    Expansion = Tulnar come back and we get underworld maps etc.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    ShadowCreptShadowCrept Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    well im sure the underworld is already being developed with no major drawbacks considering its just a opeice of game area, unlike a very diffrent and difficult race to develop and trying to code all the armors and various peices of equipment to fit their unique bodies
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    well im sure the underworld is already being developed with no major drawbacks considering its just a opeice of game area, unlike a very diffrent and difficult race to develop and trying to code all the armors and various peices of equipment to fit their unique bodies

"Just" a piece of game area he/she says...
    "Just" a piece of game area, where they will have to develop all new flora and fauna for that they will have hard times to apply in other non underground areas. The process of actually designing the objects is what takes the most time in developing a game^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    Damokles wrote: »

"Just" a piece of game area, where they will have to develop all new flora and fauna for that they will have hard times to apply in other non underground areas. The process of actually designing the objects is what takes the most time in developing a game^^

Oh pish posh.

A few days in a dungeon, chained to their work station, whips at their backs, the steady beat of a drum while Steven barks "Code. Code. Code" and they will knock it out.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think they said they want to have the Tulnar on release but none of the KS goals are guaranteed for release, they will focus on the other races before doing the Tulanr I guess c:
  • Options
    pjrydeckerpjrydecker Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am sooo excited for the tulnar. If I ever get competent at action/hybrid combat I will have a tulnar bounty hunter to punish those PKrs (they will have reduced stats due to the pking penelties so I might have a chance lol) However I would rather wait until they can be done well with good armour mapping etc then have a rushed realese day version wher my belt is floating like a waste hight halo around my belly button, assuming that tulnar have a belly button lol.
    4ZZpOBh.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Autumnleaf wrote: »
    I think they said they want to have the Tulnar on release but none of the KS goals are guaranteed for release, they will focus on the other races before doing the Tulanr I guess c:

remember the idea a group mounts ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Karthos wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »

Oh pish posh.

A few days in a dungeon, chained to their work station, whips at their backs, the steady beat of a drum while Steven barks "Code. Code. Code" and they will knock it out.

https://giant.gfycat.com/CreepyRichBison.webm
    Guildhart-Sig.png
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    nagash wrote: »

All the things earned in Kickstarter can be pushed for "official launch." Will they? I am of the opinion that we will have the base races including Tulnar, all the fluff stuff like the dances, furniture sets, dyes, and other cosmetic stuff they can pump out. Things like the sea content, extra ship classes, multi-person mounts I am thinking might get pushed.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

All the things earned in Kickstarter can be pushed for "official launch." Will they? I am of the opinion that we will have the base races including Tulnar, all the fluff stuff like the dances, furniture sets, dyes, and other cosmetic stuff they can pump out. Things like the sea content, extra ship classes, multi-person mounts I am thinking might get pushed.

I ahve no friends for the group mount so its ok....Dave will come with me :cry:
  • Options

I ahve no friends for the group mount so its ok....Dave will come with me :cry:

Dave does seem to like you
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    poisonzpoisonz Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Zomnivore wrote: »
    The radio silence on Tulnar progress has me concerned.
    the furry talk killed it
    AhuZFn7.gif
  • Options
    BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
    really Tulnar progress has u concerned? Not the fact that we haven't really seen any of the other races?
    But the Tulnar got u concerned? XD
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    From my recent interview, this is Steven talking about the Tulnar race creation. Sorry, I'm not Shaze and I don't do pages of transcriptions.

Its at 19:48 on the video. I tried linking the time index, but I'm not sure if its working well.

https://youtu.be/Ep5Dsglari8?t=1185

hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • Options
    BCGiant wrote: »
    Not the fact that we haven't really seen any of the other races?
    But the Tulnar got u concerned? XD

YOU AT LEAST HAVE CONCEPT ART THAT IS NOT A SILHOUETTE! :'D

I mean, the other races have so many artworks and concept arts about them, with so many different armour types and so on, but what do we Tulnar have? Nothing.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Most of what we saw u can put on Tulnars.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @BCGiant
    Oh yeah? Do you know how Tulnar will look already? You at least know how the other races actually look like, we have nothing consequential (and i know that the tulnar are a hard race to concept but still)
    You should be happy with what you already have for the other races. (Multitudes of house skins, armours, weapons and accessoires, we know nothing about the actual racestile of the tulnar except that they lived under the earth...)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    You just want them to be Furries, Idk how the other races will look. I have seen concept art thats it :P
  • Options
    The only good tulnar is the one you wear
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    QdyZ5Xy.png
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • Options
    I dont want furry tulnar... I want lizardmen monster tulnar that look mean enough to eat you Q.Q
    a6XEiIf.gif