Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Action Combat Ability Request. Puking

OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I'm a gamer, I love abilities that feel emotive and give you a sense of physical texture of the world.

Thats why I love half life 2's gravity gun. Its one of the reasons I love Tribe's grenade launchers and mortars. Something about being able to feel the speed you're going because of just how off set your position is from the arc your fire goes away from you, and how rapidly you move around your targets, and they around you. These things lend themselves to certain genres and styles of game.

So when I see a tab targeting game with a blend of action combat, it makes me think. What will lend itself to this, and what will make me feel more involved with the world.

MMORPGs aren't just a combat system, and aren't just a social hub for making friends. They're worlds, and to interact meaningfully with all those things makes me think of odd things.

What is socially fun, evocative of a fantasy world, and could have an action combat style physicality to it?

To me, the answer is obvious.

Let us, be drunk, and let us get a special ability from being drunk. Namely, puking.

In a very deep sense puking might be one of the most evocative acts one can do naturally. Its a real gut wrencher quite literally. Its also interesting mechanically and with its associations with tavern brawls.

If you puke on someone you are not only potentially starting a fight, but also engaging with your character, and a social system. To be puked on is to be embarrassed. NPCs that see you could laugh at you and mock you.

Certain NPCs could quite literally ignore you while you're stinking of puke.

That means that being Puked on, has a cost associated with it. Are you willing to be puked on without rebuttal? Well NPCs are going to laugh at you and maybe ignore you until you dunk yourself in water.

However avoiding being puked on is another game that I think is grounded in most of all North American kids. Dodge ball is a common game throughout school and is fun. Dodging and narrowly avoiding flying projectiles is fun.

So when you have a tavern full of drunks, puking in the air, being clean and a bystander will give you a sense of pride.

You will quite literally be unfaltering in your prideful display, another evocative sense, being noble, and above pettiness.

Next, you have the people brawling, if you get puked on and fight you puking rival you get the joy of beating up a jerk. Puking on someone and fighting them will be a challenge for the drunk combatant, but if they stand, or wobble into the fray and beat their combatant, they will truly have lived out the fantasy of the drunken tavern brawler.

All of this makes Tavern's a place of interest and reinforces that being drunk can be fun, but also risky, just like in reality.

I think that's a beautiful idea, and its my suggestion.

Let people projectile vomit on others and give them a place to do it in. Give taverns a real sense of tangible rowdiness.

Comments

• Options
    I hope this is a good long pun.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Nope. although it might be a metaphor
  • Options
    sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    That's disgusting. Let's do it.
    fNX2ISa.png

• Options
    grisugrisu Member
    Being puked on is fun! Dodging puke is fun!
    DistantExemplaryArgusfish-size_restricted.gif

I don't know that's a whole lot focus on a rather grotesque.. mechanic? Drunk effects? sure, having people getting poisoned by too much alcohol? sure, having them puke in a corner? sure it's still disgusting but eating too much candy (hellow guild wars 2) or consuming too much alcohol might lead to it.... but >>playing<< with puke as a social interaction? I don't know. Too much?
    Yeah I'm positive it would be too much for me going into a tavern and seeing puke flying everyone because that's what you do there..
    Gimme fistfight brawls, ebtting and the promised parlor games over this.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can see this happen in a drunk tavern fight
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If this was added after every thing else was finished, or an emote for a drunken quest, i would be down. Having to watch other players avatars puking all over town because they can doesn't seem appealing.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOtIoBAxDUw
    Grisu wrote: »
    Being puked on is fun! Dodging puke is fun!
    DistantExemplaryArgusfish-size_restricted.gif

I don't know that's a whole lot focus on a rather grotesque.. mechanic? Drunk effects? sure, having people getting poisoned by too much alcohol? sure, having them puke in a corner? sure it's still disgusting but eating too much candy (hellow guild wars 2) or consuming too much alcohol might lead to it.... but >>playing<< with puke as a social interaction? I don't know. Too much?
    Yeah I'm positive it would be too much for me going into a tavern and seeing puke flying everyone because that's what you do there..
    Gimme fistfight brawls, ebtting and the promised parlor games over this.

• Options
    mozsta69mozsta69 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    why not i say!
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    "You puke on me?!? I PUKE ON YOU!"
    *PUKEOFF! BEGINN!*
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    .........what
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    nagash wrote: »
    .........what

This is something that a Lich just cant understand Nagash.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    DevorandomDevorandom Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    azathoth wrote: »
    If this was added after every thing else was finished, or an emote for a drunken quest, i would be down. Having to watch other players avatars puking all over town because they can doesn't seem appealing.

Ya, especially if it could interfere with NPC and quest interaction. Plenty of people would use it as a griefing tool.
    Screenshot_86.png