Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Terms I rarely hear anymore

Alpha SoulAlpha Soul Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
I've been playing MMO's since the early days... MUDS and then UO...then onto all the games we have today, and there are quite a few terms as I was browsing over some old material that I realize there are words that are simply not used anymore.

PKer - This was a player who actively killed other players
Anti-Pker - This was a player who actively killed players who killed other players... or Griefers.
Griefer - Somebody who made it their point to cause another player misery(spawn camping, harassing , etc.)
Ganker/Ganking - Akin to Jumping somebody. Basically it was an act that somebody could do to another person where they would have an advantage over the person they were attacking (waiting until the person was low on health, coming at the person with a ton of people etc.)

Now I realized this when looking at the question below about PvP... every time I see it mentioned I think I look at things a little differently and by default kinda fall back onto my original lens. When somebody asks me if i'm for PvP its a yes always, but to me it sort of lacks some of the nuance that used to be present.

Comments

• Options
    ShadowCreptShadowCrept Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean u cant use those words when there isnt a game, when the game starts up your going to be seeing those terms used alot, those 4 terms are still used in Runescape, as well as some other open world pvp games from what i know
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
  • Options
    Alpha SoulAlpha Soul Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't play Runescape, but I would imagine it would be an exception as it originated roughly around the time these other games and the jargon existed.

I have not heard of those terms in other open world pvp games , for example ... Archeage

I have occasionally heard Gank though.. just not as frequently (Archeage specifically there)
  • Options
    ur telling me no1 uses Griefer in AA? i highly doubt that, what do they use instead or is the AA so nice that no1 griefs LOL, same with PKing it boggles me
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I still hear them quite often but oddly enough not so much in MMOs
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Not what I'm saying , so let me try to say it different. Heck if you do a simple search you'll find all of the above terms associated with ArcheAge so my argument would fall apart.

PvP was a given. Designing a system that didn't allow for PvP was more revolutionary. EverQuest was more a massive success not just because of the updated graphics, but because they strictly clamped down and launched with the premise that they were going to eliminate PKing.

So what i'm trying to say is.. it's baked into something else with assumptions.
  • Options
    nagash wrote: »
    I still hear them quite often but oddly enough not so much in MMOs

That's what I'm driving at here. But good point, I do actually hear a lot of these terms in Sea of Thieves strange enough... or in TD2
  • Options
    I hear them alot in RTS games and MOBAs quite a fair amount
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Ganknig in League definitely Griefing in league yes, but in a different way, u actually can only Greif ur teammates not the opponents i mean PKing is in all games with PvP and Anti-Pker works in games like RS or in Ashes with ppl becoming mercenaries so they are all still common terms i dont understand the point of this post tbh
  • Options
    Ganknig in League definitely Griefing in league yes, but in a different way, u actually can only Greif ur teammates not the opponents i mean PKing is in all games with PvP and Anti-Pker works in games like RS or in Ashes with ppl becoming mercenaries so they are all still common terms i dont understand the point of this post tbh

I think you actually just got the the heart of the point of my post without realizing it.

PvP does not equal PKing and the two terms shouldn't go hand in hand.

Ganking, Griefing, PKing seem to have all rolled up into PvP as time has passed which makes the question of "Are you a PvPer" a weird question to answer to me at least. PKing to be clear, never meant simply one player killing another player. It was more one player killing another player in non-consensual combat for whatever reason.
  • Options
    ofc i know that thats why it is still in most forms of PvP games no1 may use the term anymore cuz its not really needed just cuz no1 uses the term doesnt me it isnt there
  • Options
    pjrydeckerpjrydecker Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A lot of those terms only apply to games where there is the oppotunity to perform the griefing role. Now please understand, I if anything would fill the role of Anti Pker as in tab target games I am a compotent PVPer but hate griefers. However most games these days are so soft core that unless you deliberately chose a PVP server there is no way to grief hence the terms go unused. If you chose a PVP server you are usually a good PVPer and as such griefers who are normally bullys and cowards preying on far weaker toons just would get owned and therefore don't bother. Brutal generalisations there but that has been my experience in recent years.
    4ZZpOBh.gif
  • Options
    I think the terms have just changed over time like everything else in the boring time we call gaming
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think people just grew used to it more ? I mean I dont complain when someone kills me and if a high lvl is hunting noobs then it's fun just trying to fuck around with him. The terms dont show up much in mmo's however but it other games these days.
  • Options
    pjrydecker wrote: »
    A lot of those terms only apply to games where there is the oppotunity to perform the griefing role. Now please understand, I if anything would fill the role of Anti Pker as in tab target games I am a compotent PVPer but hate griefers. However most games these days are so soft core that unless you deliberately chose a PVP server there is no way to grief hence the terms go unused. If you chose a PVP server you are usually a good PVPer and as such griefers who are normally bullys and cowards preying on far weaker toons just would get owned and therefore don't bother. Brutal generalisations there but that has been my experience in recent years.

Good point.. I hadn't really thought of it from that angle, but you're right... we don't have the same environments we once did so the terms may seem to have naturally gone to the wayside.
  • Options
    dracdoc wrote: »
    Ganker/Ganking - Akin to Jumping somebody. Basically it was an act that somebody could do to another person where they would have an advantage over the person they were attacking (waiting until the person was low on health, coming at the person with a ton of people etc.)

I still hear those words quite often and the meaning is still almost the same. I have noticed that some meanings have changed or evolved within years. Mostly what you described are still the same, but word ganking is used a lil bit differently at least in Albion Online. Ganking is not so bad word there, people are using that even they just go for hunting other players and it does not neccessarily mean taking any advantages like outnumbering the enemies. People can even speak of solo ganking.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Those terms are still alive in WoW and GW2 though :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    amuriaamuria Member, Intrepid Pack
    All these terms were used in BDO even before the launch and I do remember seeing these in the AOC discord too. So, I wouldn't agree with these terms not being popular anymore.

It is curious that you first list all these terms to the aspect of PVP, which I would do too. Though after that you claim that PK isn’t equal to PVP. Do you mean while PK is part of PVP it is not the exact same as PVP?