Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Did the CEO/CD seem irritated to you?

The past few streams which feel very shotgun blast like to the community made me pick something up from Steven. It felt like he has a bit ticked off. Like the constant questioning has gotten to him and the community or something. I don't know for sure but that's what it felt like. i know that back before i was around that they liked to leak info out a lot but then a certain employee came into the picture, she had them put a lid on it saying slow down. bad for business. which makes since. now the needy bird mouths are freaking out. now he has to "solve" that. that's the vibe i picked up. Maybe i'm just reading too much into it or not. what do y'all say?

Comments

• Options
    DevorandomDevorandom Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Could be. I generally get annoyed when I am asked questions I have answered a number of times already.
    Screenshot_86.png
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The community has been hungry to know everything from day 1. Nothing has changed there. Who knows what may or may not be going on in his private life, of the lives of his team members.

Personally I would be annoyed having to asnwer the same question a bunch of different ways every month. Its a waste of everyones time.

If he is annoyed, its deserved. Assuming the only thing that could be annoying him is the game/community is a bit odd. Everyone has a crap day now and then.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    BigDaddyBigDaddy Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter
    To be perfectly honest (and also this is just my opinion as I don't speak for Steven or others), is that Steven was leaking out too much info earlier on in production, getting everybody continuously hyped with having extremely high expectations.
    Since December when a lot of things have not gone to expectation, with basically having to scrap a lot of the previous work and starting from scratch (is a bummer but would rather see something fleshed out and spectacular than a shit version) has made the community feel let down.

You mention that this 'certain employee' is trying to close down too much leaking. That is exactly their job and this employee is doing a hell of a great job doing so. It may make the community feel that not much is being done, but there is SO much being done behind the scenes. It's basically to ensure that the Directors Letter Revolt doesn't happen again (if you were there for that, you would know).

I would rather the current stance on how things are being done in streams than how they were before. I'd love to be able to figure things out myself and discover new things rather than already know half of everything in the game before it is even released because of leaking info. There is weekly news continuously coming out, new steams, new Q&A's that actually are interesting and not just repeats of old Q&A's, new cosmetics..even new forums ;)

People just have to have some patience with AoC and IS. It's a massive task with a new studio, with a beautiful dream.
    I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad.
  • Options
    sojourn85sojourn85 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I have not noticed that, but like the others have said, he might be getting tired of repeat questions. That's the reason for Margaret being hired. Her and the team are to manage the information and put it out there so that the development team doesn't have so many repeat questions. She has definitely been controlling the flow of information because before her so many people raged at the Apocalypse BR mode. Many YouTubers were saying this is the game now, and not listening to the information that was put out. So part of her role is to properly market the game to the community and keep the team from saying things that can't be promised.
    Gamer, Husband, Father, and Hard Working Individual. Let's have fun!
  • Options
    Might just be a huge workload getting to him. And yeah, when you're forums are down for so long, there are going to be questions repeated multiple times. hopefully some of the veteran followers will be able to reduce the question load for him
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Won't speak for the others that try to help on the various media, but when you have answered the same question a couple hundred times for information that is readily available it gets wearing. I realize in the current "I want my information right NEOW!" generation without doing the background work that a question of "Will there be separate PVE and PVP servers?" may seem like a burning issue, but it does get old. I think the amount of interaction that Steven does try to get with the community is great, but if it is becoming a trigger getting info-jumped every time he pops into the Discord just to say hi or share a picture about his dog, I say take a break and concentrate on the myriad other things that are on his plate as CEO.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Fuppo HeadhunterFuppo Headhunter Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    Nah he seems not ticked off at all, just a little tired as anyone would be doing a CEO job and being a creative director for a huge game at the same time.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    I didn't see todays stream yet, but the Dungeon Crawler and Jahlons interview have been perfectly fine in my opinion.
    Towards that leaked info stuff, remember when they wanted to do a bi weekly stream but never got to it since it was too much time diverted from actual development and it went to a bi monthly thing, at best? The so called leaks was a, in my unprofessional opinion, a way of at least doing something.
    They have a way better structure now that also puts everything into an official readable format. Calling that bad for business is strange imo. This is how you build consistent and lasting hype towards release/alpha 2. Again, in my unprofessional opinion.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Timmy wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest (and also this is just my opinion as I don't speak for Steven or others), is that Steven was leaking out too much info earlier on in production, getting everybody continuously hyped with having extremely high expectations.
    Since December when a lot of things have not gone to expectation, with basically having to scrap a lot of the previous work and starting from scratch (is a bummer but would rather see something fleshed out and spectacular than a shit version) has made the community feel let down.

You mention that this 'certain employee' is trying to close down too much leaking. That is exactly their job and this employee is doing a hell of a great job doing so. It may make the community feel that not much is being done, but there is SO much being done behind the scenes. It's basically to ensure that the Directors Letter Revolt doesn't happen again (if you were there for that, you would know).

I would rather the current stance on how things are being done in streams than how they were before. I'd love to be able to figure things out myself and discover new things rather than already know half of everything in the game before it is even released because of leaking info. There is weekly news continuously coming out, new steams, new Q&A's that actually are interesting and not just repeats of old Q&A's, new cosmetics..even new forums ;)

People just have to have some patience with AoC and IS. It's a massive task with a new studio, with a beautiful dream.

This ☝
    He was blindly driving the hype train at insane speeds.
    Therefore he got a bit frustrated after realizing everything might not go as smooth as he thought.
    Imo they've dealt and still dealing with it the right way.
    I predict the Alpha to be overwhelmingly positive and make everyone forget about any previous hiccups.

ლ,ᔑ•ﺪ͟͠•ᔐ.ლ

• Options
    OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I bet its pretty frustrating to have a shared passion and also play coy with some details. I know I'd be frustrated if all these people were eating out of the palms of my hands all the details I was giving them on a game I personally paid to make and were working on.

Who wouldn't be dying to share and have the problems of development pass already and just have the game already :pensive:
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I think he is more frustrated with his baby breaking in December and him letting down the community.

I don't think it has to do with him vs the community, although I will say a lot of people in the community treat him like trash. He comes in talking about Civ VI and the match he's playing on his day off and people always have to try to squeeze info out of him.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Steven has a lot going on, and my perception was he was tired and a bit weary. As mentioned it must have been heartbreaking for the development to go south and be down for so long , not to mention a hit in the pocketbook, and all the hiring and firing that's been going on. He is so willing to put himself out there for what he believes, and I'm grateful for that.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I often wonder what sort of effect some of the venting I see directed towards Steven and intrepid does have. There are some out there that have next to no filter between their brain and what they say or type. Rather than putting together a constructive argument as to why they may not like something they simply go into full meltdown and spew all manner of unconstructive garbage.

The meltdown by some on discord after the director's letter last month was a complete disgrace I listened to 10 minutes of it and decided that was enough, I read the transcript instead the next day. People have the right to be unhappy and want change but be constructive and respectful in how you go about it. I just wonder if Steven is a little worn down by it all right now.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One
    jahlon wrote: »
    I think he is more frustrated with his baby breaking in December and him letting down the community.

I don't think it has to do with him vs the community, although I will say a lot of people in the community treat him like trash. He comes in talking about Civ VI and the match he's playing on his day off and people always have to try to squeeze info out of him.

Very much this. Especially that last part, it'd be nice for him to be able to hang around the discord without getting swarmed with questions.
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    People need to remember Steven is a gamer at heart just like everyone here.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Are we confusing stress with anger maybe?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    ezenkrul87ezenkrul87 Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah kudos to him though because having to deal with these needy babies takes a toll. The same questions over and over and over again will wear you down.
    Ezenkrul - Phoenix Initiative
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah Steven has always been very friendly with the community, popping onto discord and stuff but he always gets bombarded with the same questions (which is funny since people like @jahlon compile that info and put it out there for everybody). I am not surprised if he is just getting tired from the constant questioning that being said he is somewhat responsible because of the leaks he gave earlier on and the hype that created. Hopefully he will catch a break and focus on doing what he really wants to c:
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    He seem like his normal self to me
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Autumnleaf wrote: »
    Yeah Steven has always been very friendly with the community, popping onto discord and stuff but he always gets bombarded with the same questions (which is funny since people like @jahlon compile that info and put it out there for everybody). I am not surprised if he is just getting tired from the constant questioning that being said he is somewhat responsible because of the leaks he gave earlier on and the hype that created. Hopefully he will catch a break and focus on doing what he really wants to c:

I'm going to be honest, it gets harder and harder to not call people fucking stupid when they come on the discord and ask a question that, literally, 100% literally, if you just type the question into Google it gives you an answer.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I'm going to be honest, it gets harder and harder to not call people fucking stupid when they come on the discord and ask a question that, literally, 100% literally, if you just type the question into Google it gives you an answer.

Too lazy to search in google it seems :joy:
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Its difficult to not share to much it seems. like the community gets anoyed by not getting enough info but really getting to much info ( espcially lore and strategy related ) will have a even worse effect. I think Steven might have gave a bit to much info early on in developement. but right now its rly nice. enough info to understand the game but still get a epic experience when being able to play.
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

@jahlon If only some one in the community made videos with this information....

Aq0KG2f.png