Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Nerd Peripherals you can't live without

mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
"Window shopping" for computer peripherals is an addiction for me (for most of you too, admit it). Since I'm in like minded gaming company I want to know what you all are currently rockin' or drooling over? Subjects that really tickle my fancy:
  1. What keyboard? Mechanical, if so what switcher make you eargasm?
  2. What mouse? Buttons for days or button placement over quantity?
  3. Monitors? Curved, ultra wide, TV for a monitor?
  4. You suggest any peripheral software to customize your gaming experience?

I'll start: I recently bought a Logitech G613 keyboard and can't wait to customize my macros on this bad boy. The Romer-G Switches are not as sexy as my cherry reds on my old Corsair keyboard, but they are still mechanical so I like. Also snagged a G602 mouse. Loving the feel of it, and the dpi changing right next to my index finger is gold when playing games. Got some simple daily button combos setup on the customizable buttons but nothing to crazy.

Looking for suggestions for monitors. I'm really wanting an ultra wide monitor (maybe 2 if I can get a deal). Who here has them and what are the pros and cons?
E6qgOoi.png

Comments

• Options
    cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I've been using a logitch g600 for almost 7 years now. Technically 4 largely due to user error not faulty devices.

Its great for MMOs with its 12 side buttons, even for a casual like myself and the g-shift key is useful not only for games like FFXIV with multiple hotbars but simply as another auxiliary input without having to move a finger from one key/click to another. Its the pc's version of the steam/elite/scuf controllers' rear grips/paddles IMO.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm not too picky when it comes to peripherals as long as they work.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    I'm not too picky when it comes to peripherals as long as they work.

bojJImI.jpg

E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not too fussy when it comes to monitor etc but have been using the razer star wars the old republic branded keyboard for so long now will be somewhat awkward to go back to the higher profile keys once I need to renew this one. Am also somewhat fussy when it comes to my mouse, no particular brand but it has to be the right shape for my hand and just a couple of side buttons on 1 or 2 above the mouse wheel.

I also can't stand anything cordless but that's just me.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    VirulentVirulent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    XgJTIhC.jpg
    This tiny little hand fan, to keep your mouse hand from getting sweaty as you pvp.
    https://amzn.to/2UQucmI
  • Options
    tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like big monitors and I cannot lie.
    You other brothers can't deny.
    That when a 1440p walks in with a 24 inch waist
    And a curved lcd in your face
    You get sprung, want to pull up tough
    Cause you notice that monitor was stuffed
    Deep in the frameless she's bearing
    I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
    Oh baby, I want to play wit'cha
    And take your picture
    My homeboys tried to warn me
    But that color balance got me so horny

Virtue is the only good.
  • Options
    cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited April 2019
    bchan wrote: »
    [/img]
    This tiny little hand fan, to keep your mouse hand from getting sweaty as you pvp.

I have a gamecube controller that does the same.

1_d3707cf52393bdc002b11f5a8894e860.jpg(borrowed image)

Its a behemoth of a controller but damn it did its job well.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    mrwaffles wrote: »
    "Window shopping" for computer peripherals is an addiction for me (for most of you too, admit it). Since I'm in like minded gaming company I want to know what you all are currently rockin' or drooling over? Subjects that really tickle my fancy:

The only one I want to jump in on here is the monitor.

I have a couple of curved 27-inch Samsung monitors at 144hz and let me tell you, the visual improvement was amazing.

Anyone who is looking to do a monitor upgrade, pay the little bit of extra to get a good monitor.

Number of headaches I have daily has gone down.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    jahlon wrote: »

I have a couple of curved 27-inch Samsung monitors at 144hz and let me tell you, the visual improvement was amazing.

Anyone who is looking to do a monitor upgrade, pay the little bit of extra to get a good monitor.

I too have a 27in Samsung, but it's not curved. I really really like it and it was on sale at Costco even.

Are curved better for looking straight on? I figured they were mostly for viewing from off center.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options

See I'm in a struggle where I want an ultra wide and have been eye balling LG 34" ultra wide monitor

But then I could only get one because of the price. Now two standard curved monitors like you are describing I might be able to swing that. I got a Acer 3d monitor a few years back and was cool the first year but I never use it for the 3D capabilities anymore. Don't want to repeat the same gimicy regret with ultra wide or curved. Is the curve really that great? Have you ever used/owned an ultra wide monitor?

I have a gamecube controller that does the same.
    Its a behemoth of a controller but damn it did its job well.

Lol I can't believe this is a thing! I love it.

E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Here comes THE most important technology for gamers all over the world (except the arctic anf antarctic)
    hqdefault.jpg
    THE HAND COOLER! :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    Here comes THE most important technology for gamers all over the world (except the arctic anf antarctic)
    hqdefault.jpg
    THE HAND COOLER! :D

My hands get cold if I'm on my computer long periods of time, do they have a hand heater?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    I am absolutely in LOVE with the new Naga Trinity mouse I just bought, that has the swappable side button panels - it comes with 2-button, 7-button, and 12-button panels that you can interchange super easily. For MMOs I like to play as much with one hand as possible, and this was the best 12-button option I found by far.

Razer_Naga_Trinity_09.jpg

It also feels so much lighter than other 12-button mice I've tried, and glides like butter on toast...okay I'll stop fangirling now :p

@mrwaffles you made great choices though, I love Logitech gear and much prefer their stuff generally since there's fewer drivers/extra doodads required :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    61rC-yMhtZL._SX425_.jpg

Never gona go back to anything else, the quality improvement over sound/mic combos is just too amazing. It opened a new world for gaming as well as just general enjoyment. Everything else I'm not too picky on. I like my new monitor, my roccat mouse and after 12 years of the same keyboard from razor the switch to corsair was fun and nice, but nothing where I'm like. THIS, I NEED.
    Just my headphones, those I do need.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Good monitors are a must, image quality goes up drastically, it's worth spending a good bit for a solid one.
  • Options
    I am absolutely in LOVE with the new Naga Trinity mouse I just bought, that has the swappable side button panels - it comes with 2-button, 7-button, and 12-button panels that you can interchange super easily. For MMOs I like to play as much with one hand as possible, and this was the best 12-button option I found by far.
    Omg why didn't i get this!? It's modular for different modes. I was torn for this exact reason. More peripherals need this.
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    Grisu wrote: »
    61rC-yMhtZL._SX425_.jpg

Never gona go back to anything else, the quality improvement over sound/mic combos is just too amazing. It opened a new world for gaming as well as just general enjoyment. Everything else I'm not too picky on. I like my new monitor, my roccat mouse and after 12 years of the same keyboard from razor the switch to corsair was fun and nice, but nothing where I'm like. THIS, I NEED.

What are these? I can't make out the brand. I am actually in the market for new ones. I have several good ear phones for just plain ol' day listening, but I'm still using my turtle beach headphones from my 360... Need to replace them. Get constantly told mic quality is bad.

E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    @mrwaffles Sennheiser HD599 those specifically.
    Sennheiser in general is a non plus ultra when it comes to sound. Super comfy, could literally wear them all day from the first day onwards.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    edited April 2019

See I'm in a struggle where I want an ultra wide and have been eye balling LG 34" ultra wide monitor

But then I could only get one because of the price. Now two standard curved monitors like you are describing I might be able to swing that. I got a Acer 3d monitor a few years back and was cool the first year but I never use it for the 3D capabilities anymore. Don't want to repeat the same gimicy regret with ultra wide or curved. Is the curve really that great? Have you ever used/owned an ultra wide monitor?

I have used an ultra wide and curved, and I have decided to stay with slightly smaller monitors and have 2 and be curved than one really big one.

That's mainly because I don't like playing anything in windowed mode and I need to have lots of stuff open at one time.
    Karthos wrote: »

I too have a 27in Samsung, but it's not curved. I really really like it and it was on sale at Costco even.

Are curved better for looking straight on? I figured they were mostly for viewing from off center.

Yes, they are good for looking straight on.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    I play D&D5e on the computer and I really think I need a wide screen to truly enjoy it, but its one of the only experiences I think I would improve by getting one. I can't justify it with just that.

I need a mouse with at least two thumb buttons. I also need it to be a laser mouse.

I think I have a membrane keyboard and I wonder if mechanical is much better? Dunno.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Razer Nosrtomo game pad. is easier for me to use then the keyboard. Allows me to bind keys to the game pad and not mess with game settings if I don't want/need to. I use for other stuff like Fallout4 as well. Took a little bit to get use to but now can't play with out it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AM5RB6/?coliid=I2GHAIVDJ97ALU&colid=3ROU59YN3TFC0&psc=0
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Razer Nosrtomo game pad. is easier for me to use then the keyboard. Allows me to bind keys to the game pad and not mess with game settings if I don't want/need to. I use for other stuff like Fallout4 as well. Took a little bit to get use to but now can't play with out it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AM5RB6/?coliid=I2GHAIVDJ97ALU&colid=3ROU59YN3TFC0&psc=0

Dang people still use these?! Noice. I used to use a Claw back in my CS days.
    Grisu wrote: »
    61rC-yMhtZL._SX425_.jpg

What are these? I can't make out the brand. I am actually in the market for new ones. I have several good ear phones for just plain ol' day listening, but I'm still using my turtle beach headphones from my 360... Need to replace them. Get constantly told mic quality is bad.

Thanks these look real promising. Did you get a ModMic for them?
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    RGB lightning on everything to eeuhmmm.. increse reaction time >:)

nah seriously i find having a low response time, no wide screen, QHD, 144 HZ monitor a must.
    ingame iam hoping for autorun toggle so you dont need to hold shift all the time.
    also having a free camera and option to look behind you and turn around camera 180 degrees would be nice just like in gw2.

@bchan nice one lol , i never knew such thing existed
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    No, I'm still using the mic from my old headset, I got myself an audio interface and am thinking to get a mic itself since it has XLR connetors. It's a huge topic tho, one I haven't diggested yet to come to a conclusion of what I am gona get.
  • Options
    SadrithSadrith Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I've been extremely pleased with my Corsair K95 RGB Platinum. The MX Reds are smooth and sweet, and the macro keys have eliminated the need for a separate stream deck device.

For my mouse, I actually found one of the cheapest mice is my current favorite; the EVGA TORQ X10 Carbon. It's super light weight, glides like a cloud over the TORQ X10 gaming surface, and has just enough buttons to keep me satisfied.

As for software, I use the Corsair software for my RGB keyboard, and eVGA's for my 1080, but that's about it. The mouse uses a hardware button for color, and all my fans are a single color.

For screens, I've been using three ASUS 23" 2ms 1080p monitors I got back in 2015. They look and work fine for 1080p gaming and all else. As an IT guy, I MUST have multiple displays. I cannot function efficiently on a single-display setup, even with an ultra wide-screen monitor.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    Sadrith wrote: »
    I've been extremely pleased with my Corsair K95 RGB Platinum. The MX Reds are smooth and sweet, and the macro keys have eliminated the need for a separate stream deck device.

For my mouse, I actually found one of the cheapest mice is my current favorite; the EVGA TORQ X10 Carbon. It's super light weight, glides like a cloud over the TORQ X10 gaming surface, and has just enough buttons to keep me satisfied.

As for software, I use the Corsair software for my RGB keyboard, and eVGA's for my 1080, but that's about it. The mouse uses a hardware button for color, and all my fans are a single color.

For screens, I've been using three ASUS 23" 2ms 1080p monitors I got back in 2015. They look and work fine for 1080p gaming and all else. As an IT guy, I MUST have multiple displays. I cannot function efficiently on a single-display setup, even with an ultra wide-screen monitor.

You pretty much described my bosses set up lol. I'd ask if you were him but I got him into AOC and know his avatar name. I'm a software developer so I 100% agree with you on the multiple display setup. I was going to go with 2 new displays but then upon reading more about the LG 38UC99-W 38-Inch its software configures the monitor into multi-display, aka still keep my same monitor setup. I measured my viewing difference with the 1 monitor split in two vs my two I currently have. I almost don't lose any viewing horizontal real estate. The plus is the bezels in the middle are gone. You might check it out.
    E6qgOoi.png