Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Glowing weapons and armour [Concern]

HjerimHjerim Member, Leader of Men, Alpha One
Hi everyone and sorry for the rant,

I recall the siege video showed last month and I have not been able to shake the feeling off me.
In the video, it seemed like everyone had access to glowing gear, and right now, due to the content unlocked in Apocalypse, most of us actually have unlocked glowing gear.

It is my personal opinion that glowing gear is not something you should come by easily. It should be something more epic or even legendary.
Glowing gear is an eye-catcher, so it is easy to stand out by wearing it.
Imagine 200 people in the main town, in order to easily recognise someone who have achieved something legendary, you would assume it was the person with cool glowing gear; he stands out. If you have earned something extraordinary you should stand out.

Now you have given out glowing gear to everyone in apocalypse, so it seems very hard to be able to stand out in the future. I do not know how you will revert the damage, but I suggest that you no longer try to make everything glow.

It might also be my personal opinion, but I find it a nuisance to see alll the glow, and in massive PvP it might end up disorient or hinder the view to something important.

So in short... Can we limit the Glow stick / lightsaber give away?

Comments

• JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Yes you can turn it off.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • HjerimHjerim Member, Leader of Men, Alpha One
    @jahlon Sorry, this seems to be something I have missed, but to what extend can you turn it on and off?

I would like to be able to see if people have achieved something extraordinary, but if my options are all or nothing on the glow effects, then I would choose neither.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    We do not have the specific details of what you can turn on and off, just that you can disable it if you find it unwanted.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
    If it is an on or off button, I hope they will limit the amount of glowy weapons and armour they are making from now on. If I turn the function off and every armour glow effect is gone, it would be sad and if I turn it on and everything glows it would be too much.
    For me at least both of these options does not suit me.
    And seeing my own glow only would also not suit me.

In other games I have enjoyed seeing other people and the outfit as they have designed it, I would hate to have to alter that in order for me to play the game without being annoyed by too much glow.

It must have been a concern of theirs if they have already programmed an on and off button for this.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My siege group geared up and ready to go!

6.jpg?v=1520040529

Aq0KG2f.png
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    RGB invades AoC
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Karthos wrote: »

6.jpg?v=1520040529

at least we will see you coming ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes, the weapon effects in that siege video were IMO somewhat over the top.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Patch notes:

Due to the abundance of glowing gear, raids will now be called raves.

Hhak63P.png
  • GemiiChanGemiiChan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean, I dont mind glowing gear but I can understand your point. However, isnt the glowing gear as of now only from APOC? o.O;; (please correct me if Im wrong!)

I dont think they were over the top at really, as most have an internal glow...I personally love seeing these types of weapons, especially considering the fact that the game promotes alt-a-holics which means I can have a different themed set if I work at it hard enough! But I do agree that it would be nice to limit them to something epic-ly crafted or obtained through special means!

But I mean, getting the shinies from games has always been a thing...especially in high fantasy world filled with magics! :open_mouth:
    Atama wrote: »
    Patch notes:

Due to the abundance of glowing gear, raids will now be called raves.

Yes please! <3
    4Ts5BFf.gif
  • StariusStarius Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think that your concern isn't one to be ignored. Though to be honest your concern at the moment isn't a major point. In terms of APOC it was a short BR mode for us to have fun and for the creators to get some data for action combat, building destruction, etc ,etc. Glowing weapons were probably in there for fun so that everyone could feel special. I highly doubt that weapons will be glowing at the start of the full release and in most MMO's if a weapon or armor is glowing that means that it has been enchanted using the in game enchantment system. Enchantments are usually +7 or higher before they start getting noticeable glowing affects(depending on the game) and achieving them aren't easier unless there is a cash shop that offers items to make it easy. Just to be clear I am not invalidating the point, just saying that it is not a major concern when the game isn't even in beta yet
    @EmeraldPhoe let us hope that is the case.
    As far as I understand the items we have gained are the one we get in the MMO too.
    It would make sense to have an enchantment system, that would solve my concern.
  • StariusStarius Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That is true, but I have played a couple of games where you got fancy items at the start for the sake of testing out the class you chose. Just gotta think long term. Maybe the items we got are for those people who are near max level and have put in a lot of effort or that they are just giving those who have alpha access a treat for having alpha access. The game and stuff we are seeing now could drastically change in the next year and a half
  • Hjerim wrote: »
    Glowing gear is an eye-catcher, so it is easy to stand out by wearing it.
    Imagine 200 people in the main town, in order to easily recognise someone who have achieved something legendary, you would assume it was the person with cool glowing gear; he stands out.

I'm getting Flyff flashbacks :s Liked the game back in the day.... But god, when getting into town you almost had to turn down screen brightness :D

Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    Karthos wrote: »

6.jpg?v=1520040529

at least we will see you coming ^^

Walking targets c:
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    I hope they'll change the effects and stuff for the live game o.o
    Poko.png
  • HandOfUnityHandOfUnity Member, Intrepid Pack
    I definitely agree, currently the weapons seem over flashy and glow-stick like. Hopefully it will be toned down come release.
    0viv4khrmh7a.gif
  • LyiatLyiat Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Keep in mind that the time period APOC takes place in, during the Fall. The death of a golden age of several magical civilizations at the height of their glory. Their weapons are going to seem more special and unique than the dark ages that follow that time period.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lyiat wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the time period APOC takes place in, during the Fall. The death of a golden age of several magical civilizations at the height of their glory. Their weapons are going to seem more special and unique than the dark ages that follow that time period.

see as a person who loves the lore that does make sense but from a realest I think is idiotic
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If they would just turn down the glowy effect, it wouldn't be that bad. But, yeah, it was too much in the video.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Maybe I'm too much of a realist when it come to armor and weapons in the fantasy genre. I'm not sure the whole glow thing fits much in a fantasy MMO. I can see maybe glowing runes on a weapon or a flaming sword blade but it's a fantasy MMO. It shouldn't look like a sci-fi game. If I want to wield a lightsaber I'll play some SWTOR.
  • ezenkrul87ezenkrul87 Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah the flash is far too over the top. Reminds me of a sci fi game and not fantasy. I truly hope this changes for release.
    Ezenkrul - Phoenix Initiative