Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Idea: Bard mechanics

So, what if full bard (Minstel, I guess) was a special class?

My idea is unlocking unique mechanics. For example, for casting skills you'd have to play sequence of notes. It could be something like Guitar Hero or Magicka's spell casting or Invoker from Dota 2 mechanics. Well, that's the simple way.

As mages can specialize in elements, Minstel could specialize in scales. Major scales would be buffs and minor scales debuffs, something like that. You would have to keep playing notes of certain scale for a certain buff, but playing accordingly to music harmony and music theory stuff. That would reward real life musicians and players that like fast reaction based mechanics.

Or maybe you could be able to compose songs by crafting the notes? Imagine your clan listening to their favorite songs irl while being buffed!

And for those who don't know much about music, Minstel quests could be something about learning it.

Ok, I know it's probably not going to happen and it would probably not work, but I'd love to play as a bard like that.

Comments

• Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    I think there is a bard class if I'm not mistake, and you can probably spec into it more. I don't think we're exactly sure what the class entails though, no real details have been shown~!

Sounds like a great idea though c:
    Poko.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think there is a bard class if I'm not mistake, and you can probably spec into it more. I don't think we're exactly sure what the class entails though, no real details have been shown~!

Bard is indeed a class
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2019

Yes, Bard is indeed a class! :D
    https://de.ashesofcreation.wiki/Bard
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    darkpeppy wrote: »

My idea is unlocking unique mechanics. For example, for casting skills you'd have to play sequence of notes. It could be something like Guitar Hero or Magicka's spell casting or Invoker from Dota 2 mechanics. Well, that's the simple way.

As mages can specialize in elements, Minstel could specialize in scales. Major scales would be buffs and minor scales debuffs, something like that. You would have to keep playing notes of certain scale for a certain buff, but playing accordingly to music harmony and music theory stuff. That would reward real life musicians and players that like fast reaction based mechanics.

Or maybe you could be able to compose songs by crafting the notes? Imagine your clan listening to their favorite songs irl while being buffed!

And for those who don't know much about music, Minstel quests could be something about learning it.

Ok, I know it's probably not going to happen and it would probably not work, but I'd love to play as a bard like that.

Bards will not be a "downtime" class.
    We will not necessarily require music to buff people.
    I really hope, that Bards wont ever have a guitar hero mechanic, because imagine that in a raid environment! xD
    I dont really know why so many Bards are music fanatics... In my opinion, using music is the most confusing thing to do in a fight. Imagine it! You are in a death battle with an elder dragon and suddenly there is Nyan Cat theme music in the background. :D
    We do know that we can buff our allies with inspiring attacks etc.
    Here is everything we DO know about bards, it is an interesting read.

I also REALLY badly want to play a Bard class, but my Bard will be more like Jhinn from League of Legends. :D
    jhin-wallpaper.jpg

Like a maniac always about death and beauty. Chasing the Symphony from dripping blood and the screams of my enemies.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    I think WoW had the right idea for bard mechanics

0rfZdOk.jpg
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Bard_(April_Fools)
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Jeffrey Bard wants the Bard class to be more story based than music based from what he has said in the early blogs/livestreams. Though I do hope there will be some musical features, I would think they would be more for role play. What I hope is the class will have some really good buffs for groups, and can wield an instrument of battle to defeat their enemies.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    arzosah wrote: »
    I think WoW had the right idea for bard mechanics

0rfZdOk.jpg
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Bard_(April_Fools)

PinkGloomyGelada-small.gif
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    amuriaamuria Member, Intrepid Pack

Both magika and dota don't require the extended knowledge of music harmony and music theory not sure about guitar hero. Putting these additional elements into a class, as a requirement to play well, would probably lock out a lot of people from it. I doubt these are things someone will easily learn from playing a game. I say a lot of people because I heavily doubt that the majority knows these I at least don’t.

Additionally, the implementing something complex is difficult and in this case requires someone who knows these things to at least control the system frequently while in development.

Considering the amount of effort and the pay off, which in my view is negative, I don’t think this is a good idea at least in the way I understand your proposal.
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »

I really hope, that Bards wont ever have a guitar hero mechanic, because imagine that in a raid environment! xD
    I dont really know why so many Bards are music fanatics... In my opinion, using music is the most confusing thing to do in a fight. Imagine it! You are in a death battle with an elder dragon and suddenly there is Nyan Cat theme music in the background. :D

I also REALLY badly want to play a Bard class, but my Bard will be more like Jhinn from League of Legends. :D
    jhin-wallpaper.jpg

Like a maniac always about death and beauty. Chasing the Symphony from dripping blood and the screams of my enemies.

Ah so you will look like a man who cant walk properly and does really dramatic movments whenever he can ?
  • Options
    Autumnleaf wrote: »

jhin-wallpaper.jpg

Ah so you will look like a man who cant walk properly and does really dramatic movments whenever he can ?

Yes, of course, that comes with the bard class automatically!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This just sounds too complicated for an MMO.

It's a cool idea, but people aren't going to want to go "okay, I need to hold H, Shift and 3 to cast Ice Blast" or do some sort of mini-game (remember the rage over the skill bar for AoC?)

These types of things are best left to more arcade style games.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Autumnleaf wrote: »

jhin-wallpaper.jpg

Yes, of course, that comes with the bard class automatically!

Pretty bad deal if you ask me.
  • Options
    Well, guys, that indeed sounds too complicated for a MMO.. I think it's just that I really love fast reaction mechanics and I never saw it in MMOs before :D