We are happy to announce that starting August 20, 2019 at 11:00 AM PDT the Divine Gateways will open once more for limited Apocalypse testing sessions! For more information, check out our FAQ here: https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2019-08-14-steam-announce-and-play-test-faq-for-ashes-of-creation-apocalypse

Node Progression; gradual or instant?

JjampongJjampong Member
edited April 29 in General Discussion
I was wondering about the node progression system. We already know that nodes progress by doing activities within their ZOI. Do we know whether this progression will be gradual or instant? If not what do you think?

For instance, with gradual, it'd look like new buildings are being build during progression towards the next stage, or maybe NPC's soon to be available would first appear as children. As for instant, when a node has gathered enough exp to progress, buildings would just pop in to existence and NPC's appear out of nowhere (Although the latter isn't necessarily unrealistic, depending how the narrative is handled).
Jjampong.png
[EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!

Comments

  • grisugrisu Member
    This has been bugging me for a long time. The conclusion I came to for now is, it will be instant.
    I wish it wasn't and I hope it's a mix, but one aspect of it is just too time consuming in my uneducated mind.

    New buildings as you said could be made gradually, like over 2 days you can see different progress stages. That might be something that, if you start modeling it in the first place with that in mind, doesn't take exorbitant more time then outright only having the finished stage model.
    The biggest problem I have found are already existing buildings that get upgraded. What about that city palisade that gets replaced with stonewalls further away, or in it's place. What about guildhalls and in-city houses that, as they said, will advance from simple houses to mansions. It would be weird to lose functionality and, at least in my mind, this takes a whole lot more effort to do then what I think is necessery and practical.

    It would be really cool to see a caravan dispatched from the closes civilization point into the wild with schoolars/army convey or whatnot and over the course of an hour after arrival make a camp. It would be downright amazing, but I don't know if that added complexity is really worth it, it would be a wow moment for sure ifoyu happen to see it, but eehh I can live without it just as good. Maybe something for later when people have spare time? <wishful thinking>
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. Grisu
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. Zekece#1819
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds
    I think it’s a bit of both.
    Pop from on Stage to the next is instant, I think.
    But, the development of specific buildings chosen by the mayor/government is relatively gradual.
  • sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer
    I think they mentioned it was instant, but that was a while ago, ideas evolve. I would really just like a transition phase. If there is a timer until the upgrade is completed (like the siege prep timer) and during this period I saw scaffolds along buildings, carts full of supplies, walls being built, and some extra noise and activity I would be happy. I would give big Kudos if during this time extra NPCs and quests pop up for crafters and gatherers to possibly speed up the construction.
  • WololoWololo Member, Leader of Men
    As far we know now, and have seen in alpha 0 it will be instant. With the player being ported to the nearest possible location that has collision with a object. Imo if they refine this system it will feel really smooth
    Wololo.png
  • grisu wrote: »
    This has been bugging me for a long time. The conclusion I came to for now is, it will be instant.
    I wish it wasn't and I hope it's a mix, but one aspect of it is just too time consuming in my uneducated mind.

    grisu New buildings as you said could be made gradually, like over 2 days you can see different progress stages. That might be something that, if you start modeling it in the first place with that in mind, doesn't take exorbitant more time then outright only having the finished stage model.
    The biggest problem I have found are already existing buildings that get upgraded. What about that city palisade that gets replaced with stonewalls further away, or in it's place. What about guildhalls and in-city houses that, as they said, will advance from simple houses to mansions. It would be weird to lose functionality and, at least in my mind, this takes a whole lot more effort to do then what I think is necessery and practical.

    It would be really cool to see a caravan dispatched from the closes civilization point into the wild with schoolars/army convey or whatnot and over the course of an hour after arrival make a camp. It would be downright amazing, but I don't know if that added complexity is really worth it, it would be a wow moment for sure ifoyu happen to see it, but eehh I can live without it just as good. Maybe something for later when people have spare time? <wishful thinking>

    @grisu I have to say I didn't consider upgrading existing buildings for some reason :# Yeah I agree that'd take a lot of time for an event that doesn't occur that often. I do hope it doesn't just plop into existence while you're in the middle of the city though, although I'm not sure how else it would work.
    Dygz wrote: »
    I think it’s a bit of both.
    Pop from on Stage to the next is instant, I think.
    But, the development of specific buildings chosen by the mayor/government is relatively gradual.

    @dygz Do these buildings come in over time while the node is progressing or do they all pop in when it's progress to the next stage?
    sivanna wrote: »
    I think they mentioned it was instant, but that was a while ago, ideas evolve. I would really just like a transition phase. If there is a timer until the upgrade is completed (like the siege prep timer) and during this period I saw scaffolds along buildings, carts full of supplies, walls being built, and some extra noise and activity I would be happy. I would give big Kudos if during this time extra NPCs and quests pop up for crafters and gatherers to possibly speed up the construction.

    @Sivanna Yeah same here. Any chance you'd happen to know when / where they mentioned it?
    shkevi wrote: »
    As far we know now, and have seen in alpha 0 it will be instant. With the player being ported to the nearest possible location that has collision with a object. Imo if they refine this system it will feel really smooth

    @shkevi Yeah I think the same. It also takes away some of the fun of progression as it's, at least in my opinion, a lot more fun to actually see a node develop instead of it just being upgraded over night.
    Jjampong.png
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • It would be really cool, if node progression was instantaneous. Like maybe the visuals could change already depending on the progress to the next level (maybe some construction sites would start where new houses are built), while the actual services will only activate when the node progress is completed.
    uQHKizC.gif
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds
    Seems to me that the individual buildings we build have to appear between Stages, but we should try to get a dev quote.
  • JjampongJjampong Member
    edited April 30
    Damokles wrote: »
    It would be really cool, if node progression was instantaneous. Like maybe the visuals could change already depending on the progress to the next level (maybe some construction sites would start where new houses are built), while the actual services will only activate when the node progress is completed.

    @Damokles Yep I was thinking the same thing, and it sure would look a lot better than waking up to an entire new city when you come back online :s
    Dygz wrote: »
    Seems to me that the individual buildings we build have to appear between Stages, but we should try to get a dev quote.

    @dygz Yeah, maybe something for today's livestream? :)
    Jjampong.png
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds
    Yeah, I already gave Toast a heads-up and she suggested we should try to ask during the livestream, so maybe she will help us get that clarification today.
  • JjampongJjampong Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    Yeah, I already gave Toast a heads-up and she suggested we should try to ask during the livestream, so maybe she will help us get that clarification today.

    @dygz Decided not to ask the question, I heard from other people in my guild that this was mentioned the stream before and that it would be visually gradual. o:)
    Jjampong.png
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • aird88aird88 Member, Braver of Worlds
    They did ask the question in the live stream and they're still looking at an approach to make things gradual like over the course of 1 hour but as for right now, it boots anyone inside the city outside of the parameters in order for it to be expanded.
  • ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds
    Specifically, it checks if anyone is in a bad place collision-wise and moves them, it doesn't boot everyone out of the city.

    The expansion is instantaneous, but they hope to make it gradual by Alpha 2.
  • aird88aird88 Member, Braver of Worlds
    ilisfet wrote: »
    Specifically, it checks if anyone is in a bad place collision-wise and moves them, it doesn't boot everyone out of the city.

    The expansion is instantaneous, but they hope to make it gradual by Alpha 2.

    You're correct and thank you for making the statement more clear. I am at work and wasn't using my head when I wrote that.
  • JjampongJjampong Member
    edited May 1
    So many mixed messages :s
    ilisfet wrote: »
    Specifically, it checks if anyone is in a bad place collision-wise and moves them, it doesn't boot everyone out of the city.

    The expansion is instantaneous, but they hope to make it gradual by Alpha 2.

    @Ilisfet I'm aware of this mechanic, it's also documented in the wiki. Do you have any source that could verify progression is instantaneous (visually)?
    Jjampong.png
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds
    Only the devs' word from the latest live stream.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/418496030?t=01h02m26s
  • JjampongJjampong Member
    ilisfet wrote: »
    Only the devs' word from the latest live stream.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/418496030?t=01h02m26s

    @Ilisfet Just asking because I'm getting mixed messages, did not mean to offend in any way o:) Thanks for the source!
    Jjampong.png
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • PokoPoko Member
    I think right now it's pretty much instant, they said on the live stream it's causing 0 lag though. Hopefully they will have this be more gradual, I don't know how hard that could be but making it so workers come to the city to expand and stuff. I think it'll be really jarring and immersion breaking if the town you're in just *Poofs* into a city while you're inside it!
    Poko.png
  • beardobeardo Member
    Instant wouldn’t be as bad as you guys think.. it takes days to weeks for some nodes to progress to the next level. Then there is a cap to cities unable to pop unless a metro gets taken out.. So I’m not to worried about instant popping up. Even if I do see it I’m usually not that focused on the game as hard while I’m in a city running around. I hope they have a node exp bar so people can avoid the town until it dings.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds
    Yeah, I had Toast get us an answer during the stream.
    Currently, the dev designed buildings pop instantaneously when the Node progresses to the next Stage.
    Mayor/government created buildings will develop gradually between Stages.
    The devs are hoping they will later be able to implement adjustments that will make the transition from Stage to Stage a bit more gradual than instantaneous.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds
    I thought that originally the nodes were going to 'pop' level so that they couldn't be 'camped' by players looking for housing or setting up freeholds.

    I think it makes some sense to do a countdown timer of an hour. This prevents everyone from logging in and waiting but also allows citizens of the node currently logged in the chance to hang close for housing or free hold placement.

    I would like to see a gradual increase, but would also like the pop factor to make free hold placement more random (first come first served and all).
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • autumnleafautumnleaf Member, Braver of Worlds
    Well it would certainly look weird if I had an entire building popping out of nowhere all of a sudden because someone picked up a plant in the wild.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds
    autumnleaf wrote: »
    Well it would certainly look weird if I had an entire building popping out of nowhere all of a sudden because someone picked up a plant in the wild.

    Hahahhaha in Alpha 0 it pretty much did that.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    elf wrote: »
    autumnleaf wrote: »
    Well it would certainly look weird if I had an entire building popping out of nowhere all of a sudden because someone picked up a plant in the wild.

    Hahahhaha in Alpha 0 it pretty much did that.

    Seeing a level 1 node level up to level three after killing the boss was great ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • autumnleafautumnleaf Member, Braver of Worlds
    Nagash wrote: »
    elf wrote: »
    autumnleaf wrote: »
    Well it would certainly look weird if I had an entire building popping out of nowhere all of a sudden because someone picked up a plant in the wild.

    Hahahhaha in Alpha 0 it pretty much did that.

    Seeing a level 1 node level up to level three after killing the boss was great ^^

    It hurts to talk about A0 so stop, the tears wont stop now.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    autumnleaf wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    elf wrote: »
    autumnleaf wrote: »
    Well it would certainly look weird if I had an entire building popping out of nowhere all of a sudden because someone picked up a plant in the wild.

    Hahahhaha in Alpha 0 it pretty much did that.

    Seeing a level 1 node level up to level three after killing the boss was great ^^

    It hurts to talk about A0 so stop, the tears wont stop now.

    you have my sympathy
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • JjampongJjampong Member
    I think right now it's pretty much instant, they said on the live stream it's causing 0 lag though. Hopefully they will have this be more gradual, I don't know how hard that could be but making it so workers come to the city to expand and stuff. I think it'll be really jarring and immersion breaking if the town you're in just *Poofs* into a city while you're inside it!

    @Pokosaurous I couldn't agree more, although I guess it's good to know that the proces is atleast lag-free :)
    autumnleaf wrote: »
    Well it would certainly look weird if I had an entire building popping out of nowhere all of a sudden because someone picked up a plant in the wild.

    @autumnleaf Hahaha, yes my thoughts exactly! :p

    I wish I could have been there during A0 :( You all are making me jealous now.
    Jjampong.png
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • megsmegs Member, Royalty
    I think a fog of doom descending for a 'day' when a zone levels or de-levels would fix things.
    You can see and keep on doing stuff, but not much through the gloom,
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    Burn the old world down and build a better one with bones ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • ArzosahArzosah Member, Leader of Men
    Nagash wrote: »
    Burn the old world down and build a better one with bones ^^

    Not everything needs to be covered in bones.
    i55FwpZ.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    Arzosah wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Burn the old world down and build a better one with bones ^^

    Not everything needs to be covered in bones.

    303k1v.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
Sign In or Register to comment.