Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Races?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Atama wrote: »
    ptitoine wrote: »
    Im quite curious about the Elves one. And how they gonna separate the look. If they are not what i want i'll probably go for Shaman Vek or Tulnar depending on their visual.

We have the tiniest bit of an idea of the difference from concept art and early game footage of elves. Here are Py'Rai elves:
    740px-Sentinel%27s_Hide.png

Here is an Empyrean elf:
    800px-ss-2020-12-24-00_00_21-00008.png

The styles of armor are clearly very different. The difference in the faces are more subtle, especially because we don't have a close look at a Py'Rai. They look nearly identical to me, and I wonder if they are just using "generic elf" between the two up until now.

The January cosmetics look to be elves too
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Im quite curious about the Elves one. And how they gonna separate the look. If they are not what i want i'll probably go for Shaman Vek or Tulnar depending on their visual.

We have the tiniest bit of an idea of the difference from concept art and early game footage of elves. Here are Py'Rai elves:

Here is an Empyrean elf:

The styles of armor are clearly very different. The difference in the faces are more subtle, especially because we don't have a close look at a Py'Rai. They look nearly identical to me, and I wonder if they are just using "generic elf" between the two up until now.

The January cosmetics look to be elves too

Yes, but Empyrean and with less detail than the screenshot I provided.

There are lots of Empyrean elf pictures, I figured it would be redundant to show them all, especially since you typically don’t get a good look at their faces in other images.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited February 2022
    Seeing the list again though, I just realized I had difficulty telling which race is what if I just looked at the race-name alone.

Is there a reason Intrepid didn't give each individual race a more general, metaphorical name?

e.g. Take Warhammer series, I'm not sure how many ppl can recognize Asur & Druchii instantly, but instead if you say "high elves" and "dark elves", ppl usually get a good enough idea of what kind of fantasy race you're talking about.
  • Options

Here is an Empyrean elf:

I wish Py'rai have more darker skin ton and hair color with tattoo and stuff. While Empyrean sound more like Legolas or galadriel fro lord of the ring. I wanted to make High Priestress Empyrean but we'll see vek are tempting. I hope they wont do 3 finger and toes on the Vek
  • Options
    We have seen how the recent changes to the other race models have shown a vast improvement. Even the "bland" Human race is looking far better, with some difference between the Kaelar and the Vaelune.

lets hope with the recent changes and feedback they can replicate that uniqueness but definitely keep this thread hot :)
  • Options
    To be fair, we whinge more when someone creates yet another identical thread to one that's already around. So, props to the OP for actually searching and looking for a thread.

Remember that the Character Creator will have all the sliders for skin tone, body shape, etc. You don't need to worry about that from just one piece of concept art.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seeing the list again though, I just realized I had difficulty telling which race is what if I just looked at the race-name alone.

Is there a reason Intrepid didn't give each individual race a more general, metaphorical name?

e.g. Take Warhammer series, I'm not sure how many ppl can recognize Asur & Druchii instantly, but instead if you say "high elves" and "dark elves", ppl usually get a good enough idea of what kind of fantasy race you're talking about.
    Because it's more a focus on culture, rather than race.
    Seems like it would have been better for them to just stick with their Verra cultural names rather than use Tolkien names at all.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    Seems like it would have been better for them to just stick with their Verra cultural names rather than use Tolkien names at all.
    Adding in a familiar term means players know what to expect.

In pure world building terms, it may have been better to leave it out. In terms of creating a computer game, ensuring players know what to expect (even if only roughly) is too important to ignore.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They’ve received some good feedback on the dwarf and orc designs. People are wanting a balance between something new and something familiar.

If they weren’t dwarves and orcs, it’s harder to give feedback.

“Do you like the design of the Ren’Kai?”

“I don’t know, what are they supposed to look like?” :|

Hhak63P.png