Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Change the roadmap for the both of us

nick10281nick10281 Member
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
(Im going to be bad at wording this so bear with it.}
So your current road map is more like a blank slate of SoonTMs and im sure it unsettles many of the current soon to be user base. A better way to both show progress and ease the fire throwing trolls from hell would be to do something similar to this modding community roadmap https://www.rustyrevolution.org/roadmap.php . they give their progress quantity by percentage. Granted they are reviving a game rather than making a new one so the percent thing is much more viable of a method for them that still doesnt mean Intrepid couldnt do something similar. It would also help out the team with a more fluid state of work. ok im stuck at this point for awhile and its at 68 ish percent. lets jump over here at 41 percent and see if i cant work on that to refresh my mind and make some progress on that. i know its not a great way to describe it but i do hope you understand on what i mean. you can also set markers at these percents like at 75% of say graphics release batch of cosmetic pictures or 75% of node do node diary for node type and so on. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. Ill better refine this thread as time passes so it can be better read by all. tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Great suggestion ! <3 n.n I'd like to see a more clear roadmap as well, in any way!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Iam sure they got something like this at the studio's. Or at least something similar to help managing the project we could assume ? Updating this for the public would be risky tho. If you see how Jeffrey got quoted on that 'last 10% on APOC' people be calculating weeks, days, with accurate % people be calculating hours even xd if they would not update it instant panic
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think this could be another tool that, if implemented, shoots IS in the foot as @shkevi brings up a good point. Those that would be most interested in knowing exactly how the game is progressing would benefit the most from this idea, but would also be the first to be disappointed when 10% left 'feels' more like 20-30%.

I am a fan of getting updates from IS, but I don't know how I would benefit from knowing exactly what percent of what remaining projects are done. I like the suggestion and I think it would be fun to check every so often, I just don't know what the actual benefit would be.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    It's more for the people who are extremely antsy and put money in during kickstarter. I didnt but seeing some sort of representation of progress would help ease those peoples worries a tad.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Even if the devs could produce accurate percentages of their progress, that information wouldn't help us. It will just confuse the players, many of whom don't know even half of what goes into making an mmorpg. A single bad line of code can set a project back days or even weeks.

Yes, transparency is good, but too much information can cause problems too.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Yeah but showing little to no progress makes a toxic community that harasses the employees about the game a common thing. We get tidbits and snippets with these streams but at the end of the day it's not about the cool features or the looks. It's about what has been done and implemented. They can also push the percent bar back and put a note under it saying the reason of setback or additional content made percent bar bigger than initially drafted.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    nick10281 wrote: »
    Yeah but showing little to no progress makes a toxic community that harasses the employees about the game a common thing. We get tidbits and snippets with these streams but at the end of the day it's not about the cool features or the looks. It's about what has been done and implemented. They can also push the percent bar back and put a note under it saying the reason of setback or additional content made percent bar bigger than initially drafted.

What you are asking for is fine, but it is also asking them to do more work that is unnecessary. They legitimately can't even meet the goals they set for proving the tidbits and scaps of information. They don't have deadlines for providing community updates, they have things they are "aiming" for.

They missed their store update because the concept art isn't ready. Really?

So now what you are asking them to do is divide up all the work that needs doing.
    Then figure out what percentage complete they are.
    Then have someone babysit that monitoring.

Then if something goes wrong they need to backpeddle AND the community not go ape-shit about it.

All this would end up as is a yet another thing that would bitched about.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    just give us a deadline for the MMO that's all we need. if they fail to keep to that then we linch them
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    The problem is, as we've seen already, that when something is "given a date" people tend to get very upset when that date is missed. (Remember the start of Alpha 1 Collective Discord Tantrum?)

This is just my personality, so I don't expect everyone to agree or subscribe to this, but I'd much prefer they not hamper themselves with setting specific milestones until they know for sure they can hit them. I also dont need constant updates unless there's something major.

I know people put alot of money into their Kickstarter, and it's okay to be protective of that money, but the best way to do that is not set all these needless deadlines that forces them to rush and cut corners to meet.

My mom always says "Cake is always much better when you bake it" meaning let it bake, wait for the finished product because it's nasty and gooey if you try to eat it before it's done.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    infernomiesterinfernomiester Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think making an effort to show some sort of progress is not a bad thing. We don't need to know exactly what's being worked on but having snippets of what's complete or being worked on would be nice. I think having a walk walkthrough of the office from time to time would be good for the community. With the addition of community focused personnel, having weekly or even bi-weekly update videos would be nice. I would pay a subscription to have a weekly update of anything Intrepid is working on.
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Idk, I put in at KS and besides the updates we've been given I don't feel a need for an overall look at what's been accomplished. When we invested during the KD we knew it was going to be a 2020 'hopeful' release. Whatever schedule they need to keep them as close to on point as possible is good with me, they don't have to clue me in every month.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    Isn't that basically the monthly stream now? Every stream so far had the first section dedicated to where they are at with things.
    Jeffrey dropped (if I remember correctly) that they are like 90% done at the backend remoddeling.
    Also since they know already they won't meet the goal of before 2020 with the mmo release they said, unless they are super sure they will be done with something, they won't give any deadlines. I respect that and think it's a good decision.

I understand what you get at but I think it's not necessery.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819