Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Reveals from Discord.

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    tugowar wrote: »
    Regarding discord leaks, get over yourselves. Someone from the community is always going to post it here, and you adapt to your bosses communication style, not ask him to change to yours.

I am glad that people do post info here but it should not be our job it should be the mods.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Hyyez wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    tugowar wrote: »
    Regarding discord leaks, get over yourselves. Someone from the community is always going to post it here, and you adapt to your bosses communication style, not ask him to change to yours.

I am glad that people do post info here but it should not be our job it should be the mods.

and what makes you assume this?

the fact that mods in the past and still to this day post information from intrepid. Alluring her self (who is a mod) posted the leak on the ashes of creation Reddit.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 2019
    Thanks for posting this! I missed it.
    Speaking of missing. The guy missed the shot because he's holding a right-handed bow in his left hand. The arrow is nocked on the wrong side.
    fNX2ISa.png

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    sunfrog wrote: »
    Speaking of missing. The guy missed the shot because he's holding a right-handed bow in his left hand. The arrow is nocked on the wrong side.

Do you mean the first video? Because if you do then: It is actually the right position xD
    The arrows bend around the bow when shot it is a really interesting effect to be honest with you :D

Bogenkurse_4.jpg

a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    Damokles wrote: »

Do you mean the first video? Because if you do then: It is actually the right position xD
    The arrows bend around the bow when shot it is a really interesting effect to be honest with you :D

Bogenkurse_4.jpg

The arrow can be fired from either side of the bow. Many modern recurve bows have a cut out on the left side of the riser to remove the need for the arrow to bend around the bow and they're shot using the Mediterranean draw(three finger), eastern bows will fire from the right side of the bow and use a thumb-ring draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-OvqP0-N-o
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    arzosah wrote: »

Bogenkurse_4.jpg

The arrow can be fired from either side of the bow. Many modern recurve bows have a cut out on the left side of the riser to remove the need for the arrow to bend around the bow and they're shot using the Mediterranean draw(three finger), eastern bows will fire from the right side of the bow and use a thumb-ring draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-OvqP0-N-o

The important part here is the word: "Modern". We are playing a high-fantasy medieval mmorpg here, there will be no cut-outs in our bows ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    True, but you can still fire effectively from either side of a bow.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    There will be no cutouts, but there will be flying dragons, potion launchers, rapid fire crossbows, arbalests, target seeking arrows, gravity defying acrobatics with combat skills. :thinking
    Are you sure we won't have cut outs? : 3
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    I forgot to say thanks for the video. It looks cool and I love the barding too.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    arzosah wrote: »
    Oh good tentacles, everybody loves tentacles.

Tentacles FTW :grin:
  • Options
    infernomiesterinfernomiester Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Henticles
  • Options
    caedwyncaedwyn Member

i believe, EVERY single news/ story/ update/ vote/ etc... from ALL over the entire intrepid's social network must converge in a hub which is the forum.

and as toast has said she will talk with the team in that regard.
    so lets all chill
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The one thing I do not want to see is these type of leaks stop from Steven. I don't care where they come from just as long as they keep coming from time to time. As I said before these little images give me more hope that the game is progressing than any blog post or dev diary.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Hmm another one.

https://reddit.com/link/bmcscb/video/941i2kees2x21/player

Just want to point out I love to see this sort of stuff.
    3KAqRIf.png
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hmmm is that the beginning of the dawnbreaker?
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    Varkun wrote: »
    Hmm another one.

https://reddit.com/link/bmcscb/video/941i2kees2x21/player

Just want to point out I love to see this sort of stuff.

Its a Lemur-Owl-Gorilla! Fascinating creatures.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    That is a muscle beast
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    @elf yes I believe it is and will be shown when fully rendered.
    3KAqRIf.png
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    jahlon wrote: »
    I have a few things to say. First off thank you Varkun for posting this. Secondly whatever happened to Intrepid posting all info on the website, forums and discord? Did they already forget we had a forum? so back to redit they go?

Intrepid you are not helping yourself here

Pretty sure that was for official announcements, not for leaks from Steven.

I mean if we want to hold them to that, then we can just as sure kiss all leaks goodbye

Oh so if its on reddit and discord its a leak then? Makes perfect sense

Pretty sure that Steven only posted it in Discord and then the community posted it to Reddit and the Forums.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    I have a few things to say. First off thank you Varkun for posting this. Secondly whatever happened to Intrepid posting all info on the website, forums and discord? Did they already forget we had a forum? so back to redit they go?

Pretty sure that was for official announcements, not for leaks from Steven.

I mean if we want to hold them to that, then we can just as sure kiss all leaks goodbye

Oh so if its on reddit and discord its a leak then? Makes perfect sense

Pretty sure that Steven only posted it in Discord and then the community posted it to Reddit and the Forums.

*sigh* did you read anything I wrote? it was not the community who posted it on Reddit it was alluring. who is, as far as I know a mod for intrepid
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Yes it was alluring who posted it to reddit from discord.
    3KAqRIf.png
  • Options
    sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter

Bogenkurse_4.jpg

Mmm..yes, but no. Try this exercise.Hold an imaginary bow like in this picture. Tuck your thumb against your chin and sight down the length of the arrow. Now notice how your left arm is out straight. Good.

Now imagine the arrow is nocked on the other side of the bow. Thumb is tucked against the side of your chin and you are sighting down the length of the arrow. What's the difference?

The difference is that you moved your straight arm off to the side where the bowstring won't hit your forearm when you release it. He's wearing an arm guard 'cause the bowstring hits his forearm and that hurts.
    fNX2ISa.png

• Options

Bogenkurse_4.jpg

Mmm..yes, but no. Try this exercise.Hold an imaginary bow like in this picture. Tuck your thumb against your chin and sight down the length of the arrow. Now notice how your left arm is out straight. Good.

Now imagine the arrow is nocked on the other side of the bow. Thumb is tucked against the side of your chin and you are sighting down the length of the arrow. What's the difference?

The difference is that you moved your straight arm off to the side where the bowstring won't hit your forearm when you release it. He's wearing an arm guard 'cause the bowstring hits his forearm and that hurts.

But that would not change even if you nock the arrow on the other side right? xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options

If you're slapping your arm with the bowstring you're doing it wrong, people will wear a bracer or wrist guard as a precaution, but as long as you're holding the bow correctly you're not going to slap your wrist.

What side of the bow you rest the arrow on depends on the bow, as I mentioned earlier many modern bows will have a cut out which forces you to rest the arrow in that cut out, however eastern bows and older styles of western bows are made ambidextrous and can be fired from either side. The biggest advantage to resting the arrow on the left side for right handed archers is that it's easier to aim by looking down the shaft of the arrow, but the trade off is that it takes longer to reload compared to resting the arrow on the right side.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Eh they should make a thread to dump small changes like this, I literally dont even use the discord server.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    So that's why metal workers, chemists and others wear safety glasses, because they know they do it wrong every time. Just don't wear that stuff and do it right, people. What an analogy.
    The string stops well before it reaches your wrist. It's a safety measurement for when you handle your bow wrong or happen to lose controll of it. They do need quite a bit of strength you know? Shooting for a while will lead to mistakes.
    If you haven't handled a bow, which you apparently haven't, why do you feel the need to lecture on it?
    I mean look at the bow. It is clearly designed to be drawn as shown, otherwise it's whole design is utterly useless. The cutout would be on the wrong side according to you. Flipping the bow would make the cutout useless too since it's upside down now with the gradual part, where you can't rest an arrow, on the bottom.
  • Options
    grisu wrote: »
    So that's why metal workers, chemists and others wear safety glasses, because they know they do it wrong every time. Just don't wear that stuff and do it right, people. What an analogy.
    The string stops well before it reaches your wrist. It's a safety measurement for when you handle your bow wrong or happen to lose controll of it. They do need quite a bit of strength you know? Shooting for a while will lead to mistakes.
    If you haven't handled a bow, which you apparently haven't, why do you feel the need to lecture on it?
    I mean look at the bow. It is clearly designed to be drawn as shown, otherwise it's whole design is utterly useless. The cutout would be on the wrong side according to you. Flipping the bow would make the cutout useless too since it's upside down now with the gradual part, where you can't rest an arrow, on the bottom.

Yes I'm aware that bows can require a fair bit of strength to use, and I have slapped my arm with my bowstring, it's not a pleasant feeling. But as I said what side you nock the arrow on depends on the bow, my recurve has a cutout so I will only nock on the left side since nocking it on the right side doesn't make sense and wouldn't work. However this entire argument started because of how the bow was being nocked on the video posted by the OP, in the case of that bow the arrow could be realistically nocked on either side, so saying the left side was wrong was inaccurate.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    I just noticed i forgot to tag sunfrog. It was meant for him. My bad.

Question tho @arzosah that bow from the repeated posted picture. I suppose it should be possible to shoot from the right, but you would do it without the cut out right? Thats what i was getting at. Its just counter intuitive from its design. You can but why give up the given advantages.

I think aside from recurve bows you could shoot all from both sides.
  • Options
    @grisu it could just be the angle of the picture but it doesn't look like that bow has a cut out on it, and as far as I can tell there's nothing that would prevent the bow from being fired from either side.
    k2U15J3.png