Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Forum bug.

There is a bug with the forums.

I can log into one account on the forums, and create posts.

Logging out and immediately relogging into a different account, with a different account name / associated email / password, then ascribes all of the initial accounts posts to the secondary account.

So account B can then adjust the posts of account A.

This cannot be right.

Giving access to ammending a different accounts activity has a potentially massive implication for shared PUBLIC computers.

Plenty of households share computers but hold different accounts.

https://mxwyra.db.files.1drv.com/y4mc4tCBybLN7Tf503BuBO0GM_L4YVQJC_Z8j_4UnMgc8A7_NSHPRi5MOeA2hkZtoEgii7XHuoshSsM8nSCU8dbekhCGqeQxo24z1kDAKewJde_PUOoKPlnZKgNlB5V3uAgwa9utQzQolNNTjqAhSKkO1Olm4A9MQ8NXka86zz5AaDHvl0DrD_eD8P51mV7Dg7V-jRywOEi_f0FKzTKfh6EMQ?width=1841&height=1033&cropmode=none

https://oxxvda.db.files.1drv.com/y4mGA76CclGmTteQdUalA8p5NXyOvJtqliVjZcD921cefXT2SNVOoWpattKyCP70YwBVDSUZqkKDWfXT9HXHTjd41FMNSOFfdsclWNYTA1yi0PmuRlpN_pipCFKdSpjPdF1j7XJJZFvxQLS0OWrYSdRPu2OIdZgY8gyYbShS7uHtvDiu7oM4uPSl3CoZC5rsvdGZ4LjHkJn45_IxuW5J1Hqdg?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none

Also for whatever reason I am failing to imbed the images and show them here rather than send YOU to THEM, apologies, that's most likely me being my usual divishness.

Please note the account names at the top of the post photos.

Thanks.

Comments

• WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    any chance you were using 2 different browsers ? in specific google chrome ?
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • edited May 2019
    Same browser.
    Yes chrome.
    But even so, the issue is still there.

Person a: Logs onto library computer uses game forum, logs out.'
    Person b: Logs onto library computer, can now ammend all of person a's forum posts.
    Person c: Well I don't know.... but that's why God created tech wizards.
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    very strange indeed xd
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I just tried to recreate this and I was unable to.

Logged into this account
    Logged out.
    Logged into a second account
    Did not have the ability to edit this account's post.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Thanks for trying replication. I'm happy for intrepid that it was unsuccessful.

Depressingly thoudh that means it'll probably require more info from me about systems, programs I had running etc.

I wonder...

• AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm curious, have you tried logging into each account from different Computers or a smartphone and see if you can still modify posts from the other account? This second system would have to be a computer that you have never used to log into the account. I'm wondering if it has less to do with the forums and more to do with the migration.

And I believe the reason your images don't work is because the image urls need to end with an image file extension for the img tags to recognize them as images.
    k2U15J3.png
  • edited May 2019
    @arzosah , Yup, I've tried now with:

Two computers (and not whilst linked with synergy 1)
    Firefox, chrome, chrome incognito, msn, opera.

I'm still having the same issue.
    All my guesses would have to be some program that keeps the information stored and prevents me from being logged out completely from intrepid.
    I'm guessing lastpass.... but yeah, it's a wild stab in the dark.

Tbh, it possibly is to do with the migration, but all else appears on the accounts as totally separate. ( At the time of migration, I had separate account associated emails, but had used the same for 'contact' email. Ammending this has not fixed anything at all. )

Thanks for the picture info! I'll try again later to update screenies of the situation for all to brainstorm....
  • edited May 2019
    Yes.
    They agree there IS something going wrong with the accounts/forum, that somehow my two accounts have been linked.
    They are saying that it's probably got something to do with the Vanilla forums, but they don't know for sure and are happy to leave it at that, with me being able to freely adjust any message/post that my partner might choose to post, on a separate account on the forums.

THIS is why I beat my head against the wall when it comes to dealing with Intrepid now.

Oh yeah, theres a problem there.
    We can see it.
    No we can't work out where it is.
    It's nothing to do with us, it's all Vanilla forums.
    No, we won't talk to them to resolve this.
    No, we're not interested in actually resolving it for you.
    No, we're unconcerned about the possibility of the situation causing us to break the law (unintentionally?) through data breaches.
    Not our fault.
    We're much too busy to worry about such little things like DOING the right thing.
    We'd rather take money now and only solve problems only if they cost us money in the future.

Euch. Intrepid.
    You suck big time, and you don't even seem to realise that it is so simple / cost effective to do things right the first time.
    Sorry, but ... morons.

Seriously, if you want to be taken as a grown up company, could you finally start acting like one?

• amuriaamuria Member, Intrepid Pack
    genna wrote: »
    Oh yeah, theres a problem there.
    We can see it.
    No we can't work out where it is.
    It's nothing to do with us, it's all Vanilla forums.
    No, we won't talk to them to resolve this.
    No, we're not interested in actually resolving it for you.
    No, we're unconcerned about the possibility of the situation causing us to break the law (unintentionally?) through data breaches.
    Not our fault.
    We're much too busy to worry about such little things like DOING the right thing.
    We'd rather take money now and only solve problems only if they cost us money in the future.

I have a bit of trouble separating this between what intrepid said and where your frustration and interpretation is speaking.
    If they recognized the problem and are unsure where it comes it would make sense to first check all your own stuff before going to someone else and ask them to check their stuff.
    I also doubt that if they found the problem to be not with them but with vanilla it would seem very strange to me that they wouldn't ask them.
    Do you have anything to back this up?
  • edited May 2019
    Intrepid:
    "Yeah I'm seeing now it has removed all mention of Megs, and you now have a Genna profile with the email address associated with that account (the different one from the Megs one)
    at this point, unfortunately I'm stumped :/...........
    Even with completely different information, on different browsers, it doesn't seem to want to separate your two accounts.......
    this seems to be an issue in particular with how the Vanilla forums (a 3rd party vendor we work with) is handling the passthrough of your Intrepid credentials

Myself:
    "Ok, so what happens next?"

Intrepid:
    "Sorry, but this one really has us stumped! The only thing I can think of is that somehow it cached your original email address, and even now that you've changed it it's somehow persisting in some system somewhere. My apologies I'm not able to help further with this!
    As long as you're able to successfully log into your two separate accounts on the Intrepid site, and see the different items you have on each there, then you'll be good to go for gaming on those :smiley: like I mentioned, the forums are a third-party connection.

And that's apparently it as far as they are concerned.

amuria wrote: »
    If they recognized the problem and are unsure where it comes it would make sense to first check all your own stuff before going to someone else and ask them to check their stuff.
    I also doubt that if they found the problem to be not with them but with vanilla it would seem very strange to me that they wouldn't ask them.
    Do you have anything to back this up?

I agree, it'd be very strange of them to not ask, and that's why I'm frustrated.
    It'd be simple enough to say to me: "we'll investigate further" rather than

"I'm not able to help further with this!.... the forums are a third-party connection."

That's passing the buck, denying responsibility for a company they employ for the job.

So no, I can't definatively say they WON'T investigate further, but I've pretty much be told by them, that's it, deal.
    After all ;

"As long as you're able to successfully log into your two separate accounts on the Intrepid site, and see the different items you have on each there, then you'll be good to go "

Which does kind of heavily imply that they are unconcerned in the slightest about the CAUSE of this and whether or not that it breaks the law for me to be able to see what my other half is writing on his account.

No, it might not be Intrepid directly, but they would be who would be called out first if laws get broken, after all, they are the ones paying that third party to do that job.

Am I so wrong to highlight this as a concern?
    Surely to resolve this benefits them, I get nothing from it really, other than the opportunity to spy on my Other half.

Yes I'm frustrated, but only because as a company, they are persistant in treating issues with little concern.
  • Hi there - was just catching up on your Discord messages to me from overnight! Apologies that it appears you took my most recent message to say that we're not investigating this further for you - I'm continuing to gather information on this as well as tracking down if there are any other instances of this bug we can report on to Vanilla. For example, this morning I was able to reproduce the issue myself by following the same steps you did with some new accounts I created for this purpose.

I understand you are frustrated with this situation, and I've done my best to help you out both here and on Discord to see if we can troubleshoot this - I appreciate your patience as we dig into this more!
    community_management.gif
  • Nope, that was all I needed, confirmation that the company is in fact taking it seriously and investigating.
    The reason for my confusion frustration is that when I asked specifically,
    "what now," there was no indication given at all that anything further would be happening.
    Thank you very much for clearing that up.
    Now that you have managed to replicate the issue, I'll just leave it with yourselves and forget about it unless you require further action from myself.

As I said:

"Sorry if I come across as grumpy but I am. Not at you personally, please I beg of you recognise that this isn't grump at you personally, I'm sure you're grand, only grump at 'Intrepid' once again putting across a "oh it's not a SERIOUS issue".

I am sorry if I have failed to communicate that I am very thankful for the work you've done.
    Thankyou.