Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Of the 3 Crafting Professions

T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
There are 3 separate crafts: Gatherer, Processor, and Artisan. Of the three, only the Artisan gets to have their name attached to the end product, but without the other two crafting professions that would not have been possible. How do you give credit to Gatherers and Processors?
eZC6mjP.gif
Formerly T-Elf

Comments

• Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm not sure it's realistic or necessary for the gathers and processors to get any credit for the crafted item. One crafted sword could have many gathers and processors. Why give credit to 15 miners that each provided 3 ore.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As it stands now there is to be no glory for the humble gatherer and processing professions though we honestly have no idea if this is so. Processed resources could have some sort of makers mark applied to them perhaps, unprocessed perhaps they could be marked in consignments with a gatherers mark.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    If I were a gatherer, I would expect that my final product is a material used in other things. Unless it were something being used directly, like a herb that heals.

Having your name as crafter is only important in high-end products, anyway. Gatherers/processors generally mass-produce low-end products.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    elf wrote: »
    How do you give credit to Gatherers and Processors?

I give them some good hard coin, that should be enough no?
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »

I give them some good hard coin, that should be enough no?

As a gatherer I accept that my credit is the sack of gold coins I got for my work.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    LyiatLyiat Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How often would a miner put a stamp on the ore he mined? Or a smelter stamp the iron he melted to bars for the forge?

Pretty much almost never. It doesn't make much sense to have raw resources with maker's stamps. It's not like the final product will feature those stamps. And I agree with what @arzosah said, I don't want my item's descriptions cluttered up with the 50 different player names that all contributed one piece to my staff. You don't go into gathering or processing for 'glory'. You get into it for coin.
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Isn't it gathering, processing and crafting with artisan being the overall name for professions?
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    branegames wrote: »
    Isn't it gathering, processing and crafting with artisan being the overall name for professions?

True. It is the Artisan System
    Gathering, Processing, Crafting
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    branegames wrote: »

The verbage hasn't been set in stone yet. Right now what we're hearing is that there are different 'artisan classes' in the game that fall under three groups, gathering, crafting, and processing.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Artisan_classes
  • Options
    sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Wood chopped by Sunfrog? Sawyered by Sunfrog. Table by elf.
    fNX2ISa.png

• Options
    edited May 2019
    sunfrog wrote: »
    Wood chopped by Sunfrog? Sawyered by Sunfrog. Table by elf.

Except that table needed fifteen wood panks, which needed 3 logs each.

That's a possibility of forty five people who 'contributed' to the table, along with the 15 who made the planks from the logs. And that's just the wood! What about the iron bars that took 5 iron ore to make the nails? Or the guys who picked the seeds for the guys who made the oil for the guy who made the varnish?

It gets very silly very quickly.
  • Options
    Actually, I didn't in any way think the final product would have all the contributor's names.
    And I guess the reward has to be just the coin you receive for your hard work, while the maker of the final product gets the glory. If I was in another game, I would be doing most all the work, so getting my name on the product was automatic. I suppose selling my raws or my processed materials at a stall will be the closest to being able to have name recognition.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am only interested, in the ability to name our creations.
    I really want to creat a jewel trinket and then name it: "Nagash's Phylactery" or "Nagash's Folly" and make them give Strength and Agility. :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    I am only interested, in the ability to name our creations.
    I really want to creat a jewel trinket and then name it: "Nagash's Phylactery" or "Nagash's Folly" and make them give Strength and Agility. :D

That's cruel and hurtful.

However I imagine naming items isn't going to be a thing. It's a recipe based crafting system, not a formula based one that makes random custom items.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    If players were allowed to name their own creations there would have to be heavy word filters to prevent players from naming everything a string of expletives.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    caedwyncaedwyn Member
    arzosah wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's realistic or necessary for the gathers and processors to get any credit for the crafted item. One crafted sword could have many gathers and processors. Why give credit to 15 miners that each provided 3 ore.

that is true.
    but at the same time what of the more rare and exotic materials ?
    i believe there are grades for the materials?
  • Options
    caedwyncaedwyn Member
    @arzosah @Damokles it is a wonderful idea, except if people were to name whatever they wanted it would be just .... HOWEVER if they made the crafter to choose between 3 game-generated name parts then that would be very nice right ?
    eg: eye of the storm
    shadowy death claw

• Options
    I still think it would be unnecessary clutter on the description of the item. Gatherers are disconnected from the crafting process, someone buys their goods either directly or from a stall/AH, they get paid and their job is done. Processors are a little more involved but the only way I could see them deserving a note on the item would be if there was some system of custom processing to include specific traits to the processed goods(bonus durability, more damage, etc) but even then I think that would only matter if there was some way of restricting how many people could perform that action, like a patent system within a node. The crafter could say I got my materials for Processor X so they're stronger and wont need repaired as often.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I very much hope we have a hall of fame. So first person to find/gather something gets recorded. First person to process and create a new material gets recorded. The first person to craft an item gets recorded. Further to that a hall of fame record for the size of the find/gather, quality of the processed material, or level rarity of the item crafted.

All of these records in the hall of fame initiated with a global announcement.
  • Options
    neomir wrote: »
    I very much hope we have a hall of fame. So first person to find/gather something gets recorded. First person to process and create a new material gets recorded. The first person to craft an item gets recorded. Further to that a hall of fame record for the size of the find/gather, quality of the processed material, or level rarity of the item crafted. All of these records in the hall of fame initiated with a global announcement.

There could be a server top list.

I am not sure if they need the same credit as crafters. It is also kind of hard to implement anything reasonable if we are thinking naming the products.

However,
    • Toplist could be one option like I mentioned before.
    • What about special titles? Master Smelter for example. That would be actually quite cool.
    • Maybe your progression could show somehow in your equipment, buildings and shops.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    amuriaamuria Member, Intrepid Pack

Hopefully these can be turned off or playing at the start of a server will include a rain of announcements.
  • Options
    I think server wide announcements should reserved for big achievements not every little realm first. I played a game that had an announcement the first time anything was uncovered on the server, this included low tier weapons, it was a lot of irrelevant spam.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    If players were aloud to name their own creations there would have to be heavy word filters to prevent players from naming everything a string of expletives.

Indeed, ‘tis a fine blade worthy of song. Nigh unbreakable, possessing the keenest edge, and of perfect balance. The runes inscribed herein grant it the ability to pierce illusions, burn evil at a touch, and to warn of eminent danger. Truly a sword of kings, one that may be in the memory of generations, a legend spoken of in hushed tones amongst an awed populace who see it as a symbol of hope and a promise that whatever may threaten them, there is a talisman to rally to, a weapon of glory.

Yet, I myself cannot bear to wield the blade known as Noodlewang. Such a shame.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    atama wrote: »
    If players were aloud to name their own creations there would have to be heavy word filters to prevent players from naming everything a string of expletives.

Indeed, ‘tis a fine blade worthy of song. Nigh unbreakable, possessing the keenest edge, and of perfect balance. The runes inscribed herein grant it the ability to pierce illusions, burn evil at a touch, and to warn of eminent danger. Truly a sword of kings, one that may be in the memory of generations, a legend spoken of in hushed tones amongst an awed populace who see it as a symbol of hope and a promise that whatever may threaten them, there is a talisman to rally to, a weapon of glory.

Yet, I myself cannot bear to wield the blade known as Noodlewang. Such a shame.

LOL :D #make a LOL button
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If I were a master craftsman and had the option to name my product, I would consider implementing suggestions (or names) from gatherer/processor characters for a discount. Be like, yeah I'll say it's made with Kraft Cheese, but Kraft needs to give me a discount.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    I don't feel gatherers and processors need their name attached to things. They will be on people's #1 speed dial for their unique services, and that is its own form of recognition.
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    When I said a marker for the gatherer of the materials or a mark for the processor I was not saying it should be on the final product that would make no sense at all as many of you have pointed out. What I was referring to was a gatherers/processors mark that would allow someone who has that material on sold to them say by a third party being able to seek out the original harvester/processor. Now you may think why bother with mundane materials, but for those truly rare materials that only a few may be able to gather/process it may very well be worth the effort to seek them out and perhaps obtain them at a no doubt cheaper price.

Wouldnt you like to know who created that star fire mithril bar as there are only 5 people in the entire world who have learned how to smelt them, you think the merchant is going to tell you who it is and lose that margin they get. But with a makers mark you might be able to figure out where this person is and try to seek them out you know put some of the RP back into MMORPG.

Why should it just be the crafter who gets people seeking them out to craft that rare item the gatherer/processor should be equally sought out for their skills too. To me, it just gives more opportunity for interactions between people gathers/processors and crafters if the source of the material is known. But I will say again once the material is on refined/crafted the maker's mark will be replaced with the new maker's name.

Thats just my opinion anyway and my logic behind it.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Actually, I didn't in any way think the final product would have all the contributor's names.
    And I guess the reward has to be just the coin you receive for your hard work, while the maker of the final product gets the glory. If I was in another game, I would be doing most all the work, so getting my name on the product was automatic. I suppose selling my raws or my processed materials at a stall will be the closest to being able to have name recognition.

You can have people say on their stalls that they were supplied by your mining guild. And get a horrible reputation for strong-arming other miners or poor safety standards causing people to boycott that stall, ifya wanna be super roleplaying~
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    @Varkun Ah ok, I agree it'd be very cool to be able to trace a high-end item to its source, like scouring the land for a master artisan.

One hurdle I could see with that is players will naturally use chat and discord to find out such things, so the way the 'mark' is implemented would need to almost be more convenient than going through those meta communication channels.

It's hard to imagine how the mark could be implemented. Maybe the item has a description that eludes to where it was obtained - E.g. "The Behemoth's scale glistens in the moonlight. Aside from specks of red clay and moss it looks to be in pristine condition", so you'd wonder where in the world you find red clay and moss. *shrug*
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    amuria wrote: »

Hopefully these can be turned off or playing at the start of a server will include a rain of announcements.

Oh totally agree with an option to switch them off as they could be annoying and I would not want to see a big splash announcement across the screen, maybe just something in chat so people can react, give people something else to chat about. Maybe some sort of local effect/fanfare so you personally get recognition.