Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Using your 2nd screen - should this be implemented?

leameseleamese Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Many people have a second or even a third screen. The idea is to use a second screen to display info in-game (also off-game?) without giving extra benefits as to those who do not have a second screen.

Second could be used for:
  • Display inventory
  • Gear & weapons equiped
  • Map
  • Chat
  • Discord
  • Quests
  • Your node
  • Freehold / housing info

This could be customizable with Tiles size. It is defenitly possible technology-wise What would you guys add more for possible 'Tiles'? This could also de-clutter the main screen and make it more immersive. I don't see added benefits then seeing info faster.

Like the idea? Keep this thread alive & upvote it! An answer from someone from @intrepid would be great!

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would be a better idea to make an extra app for that. WoW had something interesting, that could have worked, they just had to include the character inventory and the bank. That way even people without an extra monitor could use it ^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • The problem is that does give a benefit. In an open world PvP game or in an instance where people are competing for resource nodes if you can look at and manipulate your inventory without it being in the way of the screen showing the game world, where another person has to have their inventory in front of them and blocks their view the person with multiple monitors has an advantage.

Even the simple fact of giving you more uncluttered screen space and not having checking quests, gear, and chat gives you a benefit as you can keep them on the second monitor without having to open and close menus that can get in the way.
  • leameseleamese Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    It would be a better idea to make an extra app for that. WoW had something interesting, that could have worked, they just had to include the character inventory and the bank. That way even people without an extra monitor could use it ^^

A different app is one way too implement it :)
  • From what I ready in the Wiki, they're already working on an off-line interface for some elements of the game (such as mayoral duties and information updates). Is that the kind of thing you're suggesting?
  • leameseleamese Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    AurumVitae wrote: »
    From what I ready in the Wiki, they're already working on an off-line interface for some elements of the game (such as mayoral duties and information updates). Is that the kind of thing you're suggesting?
    Great that they are allready workign on that!
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I know previously they've mentioned a phone app for management.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    this is a great idea actually :p would be awsome to have a overview of the map (castle sieges :O) , inventory, chat organised by channels, maybe a big compass that also shows the moon phases or sezons without having to block your vieuw of the game. the UI possibilities are endless here.
    but yeah for sure ppl would complain its a unfair advantage unless the phone app would be able to display and manage the same in a easy manner so ppl could lay the phone in frond of them during playing aswell.
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    shkevi wrote: »
    this is a great idea actually :p would be awsome to have a overview of the map (castle sieges :O) , inventory, chat organised by channels, maybe a big compass that also shows the moon phases or sezons without having to block your vieuw of the game. the UI possibilities are endless here.
    but yeah for sure ppl would complain its a unfair advantage unless the phone app would be able to display and manage the same in a easy manner so ppl could lay the phone in frond of them during playing aswell.

Even if the phone app would be able to do the same thing, not everyone has a phone capable of doing such.

Sadly, while this is a great idea, and something I love considering I run 3 screens, I would have to say its unfair for people who only have 1 screen
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • ArgentDawnArgentDawn Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    I hate seeing the "advantage" argument used... It's a choice to run one or multiple monitors. If you don't want a second screen all of your information has to be displayed on one monitor. If you don't like it that way get another monitor.

That being said the potential uses for a second screen are amazing. The problem with most MMORPGS (for me) are the absurdly large UIs. Being able to shrink it and move it around your screen or even make it transparent helps. But it's so hard to get into a game when the UI and tabs are so large it effectively removes you from the game. As game engines and graphics develop it's such a shame that such large portions of your screen are occupied by information that you don't need a large portion of the time.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some people have suped up laptops because they travel a lot for a variety of reasons and game wherever they end up. So the decision to have an extra monitor isn't so easy for them.

That said, I don't think IS should try to accommodate every possible gamer demographic.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • ShoklenShoklen Member
    I believe there is a directx limitation outputting/rendering to two different monitors with two different sets of data (output), with a single instance of directx. At least there was back in the day, not sure if this limitation has broken in recent years.

But third party applications could work as long as the data is somehow exported by the game in some way (typically a text file that's constantly being updated). In a highly competitive MMO, you have to be really careful what data is released in such a way. If damage is not parsable, then chances are other information will not be either; as it could lead to unfair gameplay.

I remember it was mentioned that there will be no way to parse damage in AoC. I haven't keep completely up to date, has this stance remained?
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I use my second monitor to manage my non-game tools, IE Discord, music, Steam Friends and have Wikis/guides open.

My third monitor was recently the victim of a horrible drunken Lord of the Rings replica sword attack.

I don't see a reason to make a game use a person's second monitor as an actual design, as per the above arguments already. An app is a much better idea here, and possibly allow it run through a browser like Discord does.

I find the need to use my second monitor to play a game just means the UI is cluttered to hell, not that it really makes the game play easier or better.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the idea of using an app through a web browser instead of a phone. I hate using my phone for much of anything I'd much rather dedicate a browser tab to this type of management.
    k2U15J3.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    karthos wrote: »
    My third monitor was recently the victim of a horrible drunken Lord of the Rings replica sword attack.
    “This sword was forged in Beleriand during the Third Age. Its true name has been lost to the mists of time, but in the modern age it is known as Screenbane.”

Hhak63P.png
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    I just use my second screen for youtube steam and discord >.> lol
    Poko.png
  • insomniuminsomnium Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Something like BDO maybe? I think they have something where you can pop out the UI and move it to another monitor. Could never get it working myself though.
  • edited May 2019
    karthos wrote: »
    I find the need to use my second monitor to play a game just means the UI is cluttered to hell, not that it really makes the game play easier or better.

^^ This. ^^

I use two, that's a choice.

I agree that it IS / can be an advantage to be able to see more info at one glance, but you could easily minimise this by giving those who require it 'switchable' ui set ups. ...
    After all, if the game will save our personalised ui's how much extra work would it be to save two, one 'battle' mode, one 'trade' mode or 'social' etc etc.

If Intrepid were to decide that two monitors should be possible, then I'd rather see it as a UI extension, not an external app. Something that works with your hardware to allow the same UI to be split over two screens - so you can put your game view on one, the fluff on the other like compass etc.

• Alpha SoulAlpha Soul Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I really do like this idea. BDO has something similar and until I actually used it I was skeptical.. but it is nice.