Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will Ashes be right for me?

Hi all,

While it is likely this question is unanswerable at this point (since there is no playable game besides the BR), but I'm curious to ask it anyway.

I was never a WoW fan (I played it in its first weeks and dropped it). My last MMO that truly had me hooked was Asheron's Call (yes, I'm that old). This game looks from what I'm reading to be something different, so that interests me. I'm curious how "hardcore" its going to be and how critical it is to play with friends. Between my existing work/life balance, I don't have a ton of time and most of my RL folks don't play MMOs, so I wont know anyone RL playing (probably). I play a fair bit of PoE quarter to quarter and have for eons (since its beta with occassional breaks).

I'm assuming as a solo player, I'll be able to join some guild/town/community/yes and progress without dozens of hours a day of time (obviously more time = more progress with a twist of RNG thrown in), but curious what the community thinks of a long time out of the loop MMO player.

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I just watched some Asherons Call videos (what an amazing game btw xD) and have to say that Ashes seems to become a mix of AC and WoW in my opinion. The housing and mansion system of AC seems to be the same for AoC, but the class system is similar to a WoW meets Rift scheme (we have one starting class that is enhanced by a second class that we can change).
    We dont really know anything about the difficulty level of AoC, but I hope that it will be around WoW vanilla level of difficulty.

a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In theory the node system should provide you with what you are looking for. Even if you aren't part of a player-made group or guild, you will still be able to contribute to the development of the node. You will watch the node grow and be part of the community that helped develop it.

Of course, that's assuming the node system works as intended.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    From the point of view to your playing style/time balance the node system does lend itself to that as you dont need to be part of a guild or be "hardcore" to take part in events creating, maintaining and destroying the nodes.

That said i would still find a guild that would allow you to take part in other aspects of the game too.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In theory the node system should provide you with what you are looking for. Even if you aren't part of a player-made group or guild, you will still be able to contribute to the development of the node. You will watch the node grow and be part of the community that helped develop it.

There's no reason to assume it won't work as intended. The real question is, will players use it as intended?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    karthos wrote: »

There's no reason to assume it won't work as intended. The real question is, will players use it as intended?

History has shown us many occasions of games developers putting features into a game thinking they will work a certain way, but then the feature ended up working quite differently. Not only that but there have also been plenty of examples of developers saying "we're going to put in x, y, and z" and then 6 months down the line they realise that they can't implement it the way they originally intended.

Call me a cynic but I will wait until I see the node system in action in the game before I assume it will work as intended.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    I see your point, however I think it's easy to blame poor player behavior or reaction as bad development.

I haven't seen any reason to assume the node system won't work per the current expectations.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I see your point, however I think it's easy to blame poor player behavior or reaction as bad development.

I haven't seen any reason to assume the node system won't work per the current expectations.

Oh there is no doubt that players will use any loophole they can to abuse the system, which is why it's important that developers test their game as much as they can and communicate with the players on how the functions are supposed to work. It's very sad to see when a particular feature in a game works a certain way, and the players use it thinking that it is working as intended, but then the developers come out and say "no, it shouldn't work this way" and start issuing bans to players who "abused" the feature.

Blizzard fell into this trap relatively recently, with their "draught of ten lands" potion, which increased exp gain on a character for an hour. When it was first released there was no cap on how many stacks of the potion you could have, so players used as many potions as possible and levelled up insanely fast. Then the next thing we know, Blizzard put a cap on the potion's effects and issued bans to thousands of players.

It's all very well saying "players shouldn't abuse the system" but if we don't know how the system is supposed to work, how do we know if we are abusing it?
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ask your doctor before playing Ashes of Creation.

Do not play Ashes of Creation if you are allergic to the ingredients in Ashes of Creation.

Discontinue playing Ashes of Creation if you experience any of the following symptoms:
    * Dizziness
    * Nausea
    * Vertigo
    * Bleeding from the nose or ear
    * Itchiness or swelling of the extremities
    * Hysterical blindness
    * Amnesia
    * Anger
    * Apathy
    * Fear of nachos

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    atama wrote: »

Do not play Ashes of Creation if you are allergic to the ingredients in Ashes of Creation.

Discontinue playing Ashes of Creation if you experience any of the following symptoms:
    * Dizziness
    * Nausea
    * Vertigo
    * Hysterical blindness
    * Amnesia
    * Anger
    * Apathy
    * Fear of nachos

Will it cause a reptile dysfunction?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

* Dizziness
    * Nausea
    * Vertigo
    * Hysterical blindness
    * Amnesia
    * Anger
    * Apathy
    * Fear of nachos

Among Tulnar and some species of dragon.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

* Dizziness
    * Nausea
    * Vertigo
    * Hysterical blindness
    * Amnesia
    * Anger
    * Apathy
    * Fear of nachos

Among Tulnar and some species of dragon.

You forgot to mention the dayterrors!
    (Like a nightmare as a daydream)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    well the game is sub based so why not get a month of game time and test it out (when it comes out that is)
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace