Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Nice to meet you all!

barghestbarghest Member, Founder, Kickstarter
Hello everybody!

I am a kickstarter backer who did a bit of a 'fire and forget' backing of this game, and am now looking to get all clued up on the game, world, lore etc etc. Nice to finally be here and hopefully get to know the community a bit better!

I'm going to be spending this evening reading all up about AoC, but if you guys could give me a brief rundown on where AoC is at right now that would be amazing.

Here are some questions for you all, answer as many or few as you like or just say hi! :smile:

- I'm a Founder level KS backer, but I noticed when I look on the store there is the option for me to upgrade to higher KS bundles even though we're years past KS now. Is that just an option because I already own a KS bundle or can anyone get the old KS bundles?
- Where is the state of the game itself at now? What kind of access is needed (alpha 1, beta 2 etc etc) and what can we actually do? This is one of the few games I backed without the majority of my friends, so it would be nice to pull them in to the game if there's something decent to play.
- Obviously, this being the game forums, it's going to be heavily biased in favour of the game and devs, but are there any real concerns with the development outside of regular game development delays etc. Is the scope still the same? What are delays like if any? Would you have still backed at the same tier if you could go back in time? etc.
- Basically what are your feelings on the game right now?

I wasn't in the financial situation to be able to back at Braver of Worlds tier during KS, so it's warmed by heart a little seeing I have the option to up to higher KS packages this far on!

Comments

• Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Welcome to the Ashes forum @barghest

To answer your questions...

Only KS backers can upgrade their KS packages.

There is currently no Alpha running as Intrepid needed to re-write the back end code after the last batch of testing identified issues. We are all waiting with baited breath for the announcement they will continue testing,. I recommend you watch the latest live stream on Twitch

For testing the MMORPG Alpha testing has not officially start so A1 access is required as that will be the next testing stage. They have released a battleground module to test the action combat, called Apocalypse. The access to this was open to everyone with an account.

There are plenty of concerns. Go read and make your own opinion.

My feelings are hopeful they can reach the goals they have set.
  • Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    (Edit: I was beaten to the punch. Damn my slow typing/revising.)

I think only original KS backers can upgrade their packages. But there are other bundles on the store now, with different cosmetics and stuff. Some things were/are exclusive to the KS, but I don't know what exactly.

There is no game available yet. Apocalypse (Apoc for short) is a spin-off PvP game that Intrepid is using to test a lot of their systems (action-combat, client/server tech, optimization stuff). Apocalypse had a brief alpha test, and they're currently re-working a lot of their back-end tech to improve performance so they can fit more people in a world at the same time. Apoc will return with Castle Siege tests soon™.

Before, the game was supposed to be released at the end of this year. That's been delayed. (And they aren't giving any specific deadlines for things anymore because public deadlines are only good for being broken and causing disappointment). The scope of the game is still the same, and we've seen slow but steady progress. The 2019 deadline was honestly just a hopeful promise that they could never fill. But I believe they're still on track to release at the end of 2020, or at least be in open beta by then.

I'm still happy with my KS package, but it was a low-tier one (I think $40). I've enjoyed seeing the progress they make, via livestreams and (thank god they started doing these) semi-weekly blog posts. And it's just fun to chat and talk about what the game could become on these forums. So I'm pretty hopeful overall.

But of course, we still have a lot of waiting to do. We haven't seen any MMO gameplay since the Alpha 0 (which is hardly worth mentioning, since it was barebones af and limited to very few participants).

Just a bonus thought from me personally: All the art they show (check out the latest livestream) continues to look fucking fantastic. If their game-designers are half as good as their artists then I don't think we have anything to worry about. And it sounds like their technical guys are doing a good job too. (Check out the blog post/video about the housing tool).

Okay last thing: You can get more information than you could possibly want on one of the two fan-made wikis (just google it). And I recommend Ashes101.com (or the video series made by the same guy) to get a good rundown of what we know about the game-design so far.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    barghestbarghest Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Cheers for the replies guys, I've already found the wiki and started reading through (I got distracted looking through the cosmetics stuff on the wiki, their concept artists have great art style!). Will certainly start watching back through the live streams once I've got a bit more of the game's background sussed out.