Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Practicality vs Immersion

dphantomtvdphantomtv Member, Alpha One
I recently was speaking to @polartitan on discord about the recent stream and the changes they were doing to the ability effects. Ultimately it boiled down to practicality vs immersion, I enjoyed the changes mainly since they put in outlines for the effects. However, others thought that the outline ruined their immersion.

What do you guys think about the recent ability visual revamp? Do you enjoy practicality over immersion? Or vice versa?

dEbtg6Q.jpg
He's a phantom | twitch.tv/dphantomtv

Comments

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There is always a fine balance to be had between Immersion and Practicality, and is something every game dev struggles with. Too much immersion and you get a Red Dead Redemption 2 situation where caring for your horse, while very immersive, takes up most of your play time. But too much practicality and you start forgetting that you are playing an RPG at all (*cough* Retail WoW *cough*).

As for the latest visual updates, I think as long as you can reduce them or turn them off I am perfectly fine with that. One of the reasons why I stopped raiding in GW2 is because there is so much visual clutter that you physically can't see your character or distinguish between the boss abilities and your teammates' ones.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Having a clear skill outline to see how big the AoE is a good thing imo, as long they dont become bright blue lines/templates xd
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As long as they show a skill outline for AoE's one second before they land I would be happy...
    Another good thing would be an indicator that you are the target of a ranged skill tbh
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I think having a skill based visual could be amazing. Ground burning before a meteorite hits, 4 arrows landing as a square a millisecond before a rain of arrows smashes the ground
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    Didn't notice, so yeah that's that.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    HexcatHexcat Member
    I'm of the idea that immersion comes from details, for example:
    In the years when I started playing lineage 2 something that called my attention was when the magician actually doing some "choreography" during the cast of a spell or that a summon/companion not only just appearing when the spell was finished but coming out of the seal in the ground (obviously this with the graphics engine of that time)
    I like what Steven says in the live stream about oversized weapons, taking away the immersion feeling, even in a high fantasy world and that's exactly what they're not gonna do.
    I hope that the practicality applies more for the in-game life hacks, like looting, I really don't want to go back to the age where you have to click corpse by corpse individually in aims of a more immersive gaming experience or something like that...
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    ArgentDawnArgentDawn Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    All I ask is that I can disable the horrid screen shake.
  • Options
    seaberseaber Member, Intrepid Pack
    Immersion and Practicality are not antonyms.
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    Thanks for that fact @seaber I’m glad you know how to grammar!
    dEbtg6Q.jpg
  • Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    2 words: Spell circles. Immersive, practical, and awesome.

But yeah, it's tough to balance clear visuals and immersion for regular, physical attacks.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    KriddonKriddon Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    One of my biggest worries is that a 1000 man battle is going to be completely uncomprehensible due to the screen flashing constantly because of meteorite and purple tentacles everywhere. But maybe in practice its not really that bad.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    This is one of many obstacles that the team has to face. However, I’m confident that the crew at Intrepid will conquer these challenges mainly because during the stream earlier when they were talking about sharing the same vision as Steven. I think this is very important to have, especially when the changes the team is doing are subjective.
    dEbtg6Q.jpg
  • Options
    I fall squarely on the side of practicality. If it makes the gameplay better, then do it. Immersion is 100% in a beautiful picture, but we are talking a game here.
  • Options
    S3V3NTHS3V3NTH Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Obviously, Intrepid can not please every player; but immersion and practicality do become competitors when magic is in the mix. I think the one of the best ways to help balance the practical side of things to help with immersion (for a high fantasy "GAME" with magic and mythical beings,) is for the studio to do a great job explaining the limitations of magic and the world of Vera.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @leonerdo
    Spell Circles could fit really well with a Summoner or a Bard/Mage(/Summoner) in my opinion.
    Ofc depending on the way how IS wants to implement the Summoner.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The fact they said you can scale back the effects client side made me happy.

Not that my machine needs the help but the less clutter on my screen, the better.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Same @karthos I play all my games on the lowest graphics. Even if my rig can run it, I just prefer less clutter.
    dEbtg6Q.jpg
  • Options
    I got a thing about not to do with effects but mounts. I reckon having mounts in towns and cities are completely immersion breaking. You're in what feels like a small town and then you have 4 horses a dragon and whatever all in each others bodies, head poking through each other, asses through the wall. So loud that they're destroying the ambient feeling of the town itself.
    11s1beu.jpg
  • Options
    Immersion.