Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why did you start playing MMORPG's?

AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
As the title states!
  • My reason: I was quite lonely in ground school and felt like I didn't fit in due to being more of a tomboy. As such, I didn't feel like I had a whole lot of friends outside of school to play with (something that I did actually have but may have taken for granted) and I ended up finding comfort in interacting with people in World of Warcraft

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2019
    I was a little boy (10 or 11) and saw my cousin play the most amazing game ever. He played a cow that walked on two legs and fought a ginourmous battle in an frozen valley. He could summon giant elementals that fought for him and hit his enemies with a two handed hammer. He told me that the game was called World of Warcraft and showed me the game package. I saw a group of people slay a Yeti, and the fkn dwarf had a flaming sword. I was a big LotR fan at the time btw :D
    After that it was pretty easy. I convinced my parents to buy it for me at my 12th birthday under the provision that I would only play it on weekends and hollidays. That was the beginning of my journey. It was long and ardurous.
    I read and reread the little instruction booklet like my personal little bible in my schol time (fell from an straight A to a C later saved myself to an B+).
    My first character was a night elf hunter called Logolass. He. Was. Magnificent. He died to a grell at level 2. I didnt know how to revive, and the little book (yes a book of practically 50 pages as an instruction) didnt say ANYTHING on how to revive your character. So i deleted him and started a new character. This time it was a dwarf warrior called Gomlin. He was epic. I had no money, because i always repped ALL of my equipment and after a while i had to run around in cloth robes.

From there i went through all the games:
    Guild Wars to Aion. From Anno to the Settlers, to Civilization. Oblivion to The Book of Unwritten Tales. Total War to Diablo II. Borderlands, Stellaris, Space Engineers, Divinity, Fatorio, Monster Hunter, Magicka, Red Faction, RimWorld, Terraria, Minecraft and XCOM, to name only a few. Name a game and I most likely heard of or played it^^
    (I was lucky that most of my friends wanted to play all these with me)

Good times.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    damokles wrote: »
    I was a little boy (10 or 11) and saw my cousin play the most amazing game ever. He played a cow that walked on two legs and fought a ginourmous battle in an frozen valley. He could summon giant elementals that fought for him and hit his enemies with a two handed hammer. He told me that the game as called World of Warcraft and showed me the game package. I saw a group of people slay a Yeti, and the fkn dwarf had a flaming sword. I was a big LotR fan at the time btw :D
    After that it was quiet easy. I convinced my parents to buy it for me at my 12th birthday under the provision that I would only play it on weekends and hollidays. That was the beginning of my journey. It was long and ardurous.
    I read and reread the little instruction booklet like my personal little bible.
    My first character was a night elf hunter called Logolass. He. Was. Magnificent. He died to a grell. I didnt know how to revive, and the little book (yes a book of prectically 50 pages as an instruction) didnt say ANYTHING how to revive. So i deleted him and started a new character. This time it was a dwarf warrior called Gomlin. He was epic. I had no money, because i always repped ALL of my equipment and after a while i had to run around in robes.

From there it went through all the games:
    Guild Wars to Aion, from Anno to the Settlers, to Civilization. Oblivion to The Book of Unwritten Tales. Total War to Diablo II. Borderlands, Stellaris, Space engineers, Divinity, Fatorio, Monster Hunter, Magicka, Red Faction, RimWorld, Terraria, Minecraft and XCOM, to name only a few. Name a game and I most likely heard of it^^
    (I was lucky that most of my friends wanted to play all these with me)

Good times.

I remember my first character being a nightelf druid and I was so in love with her! I was always so fixated on looking cool in the beginning.

I remember one of my earlier memories of WoW being me in a dungeon "Need looting" everything I could get my eyes on and getting called a ninjalooter multiple times during runs. I always thought it was a positive thing so I would always thank them.

To this day I still cringe over the thought of little me
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @branegames
    I could only really PLAY WoW in BC and started a new character, the first character that I would actually get to max level.
    The Draenei Paladin Maximus. He was a tank/retibution paladin with a two handed hammer. I remember when I got Level 40 and recieved my riding mount. I would ride up and down in RP walk in Loch Modan and help everyone questing xD
    I didnt really understand what Greed and Need was so I always greeded on everything that could be sold for gold and needed on everything that i could equip and that was a bit better then what i had on (it didnt matter that that weapon was the bis for 15lvls for that warrior, it did 10dps more then my old weapon!)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I got into Everquest because my friends and I wanted something we could play together when we couldn't all get to the table for pen and paper RPG times. Pretty much tried most of the MMOs on the market at this point.
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    started gaming as young kid because of being bored one time and sticked with it , MMORPG was logical since that was the most played kind of game. kinda like kids play fortnite today. i consider myselve way luckier then them tho XD
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    noemadnoemad Member
    I've always loved reading. Always have and always will. Especially sci-fi, fantasy and ancient history. I started playing computer RPGs in general because it was like being immersed in a fantasy story where you were the hero. What could be better for someone who loved to read those types of stories? Then I discovered MMOs when a friend asked me to play EQ2 with her and some other friends. She had played the original EQ and Dark Age of Camelot and she wanted to have a group of friends she already knew play it with her. From there I've never looked back. While I still love stand-alone RPGs I always end up back in an MMO. As annoying as other people can sometimes be in an MMO the world just seems more alive with them in it. Although I do sometimes wish a horrible and painful death upon them. :D
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Started playing pen and paper rpg's when I was 12 back in the early 1980's so had a love of role playing games so when a friend suggested I gave guild wars one a go I did. Made some friends in game who then convinced me to start playing wow and have been playing mmo's ever since.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    Got hooked watching a friend play Everquest at collage and started playing myself. Must have been only a few months into 2000. Always into fantasy and DnD and this game brought that to the forefront.

Brings back memories. Voodoo 4500, Pentium III...
  • Options
    burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One
    I had a friend in 7th or 8th grade that would spend every day in class telling me about this awesome game where you could interact with people all over the world. He told me about how there were 2 big factions and you could pretty much kill any enemy wherever and whenever you wanted. He told me about how the character he played could summon demons from another world to fight for him and do his bidding. I eventually convinced my dad to buy it for me and install it on his computer. At that time I had only really experienced gaming on 3 1/2 floppies and those discs that came with breakfast cereals. My first steps into WoW blew my mind. I remember making a night elf hunter named Rodrigez, and that first night I played for 24 hours straight. This was in 2005, vanilla wow was brand new, and that would be the start to an addiction that is 14 years strong and going.
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I was battling depression and I found my first MMO DCUO on my then ps3. I formed a guild out of the need to talk to people, thank goodness those friends I made talked me out of some dark times. They helped me with my social anxiety as well. I'll always hold that late night raiding chats to my heart.
  • Options
    We were ten or so boys playing PS2 on an internet cafe and then they brought in PCs. One guy installed Line][Age and run around with a dark elf killing wolves and imps and said we could all play together.
    10 players together? Really?
    And that's how I started.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I started playing MMORPGs because Spytle (Jens Anderson) told me I needed to play Everquest - probably because he knew I played pen and paper D&D.
    Most of my Activision bros were playing UO, but I refused to play that because I'm a carebear and UO is too PvP-centric for me.

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I fell into it kind of by accident really. I was wandering around my local GAME store and came across the original Guildwars, and bought it not realising it was an online game. The worst part about this is that at the time my family PC wasn't powerful enough to run the game without crashing, so I had effectively shelled out most of my pocket money for nothing. I was pretty gutted at the time and I think after that I found Runescape and played that until we got a better PC and I could play Guildwars on that.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2019
    Pretty much have the same story as @grimharlequin in that my D&D group was comprised of professionals whose schedules didn't always mesh. So my DM suggested I try an MMO to get my fix. I started with EQ and have been gaming ever since with splashes of games like Aion, Allods, STO, City of Heros, Warhammmer, WoW, SWG, GW, GW2, ArcheAge, BDO; but my 2 long time favorites were DAoC and EQ2 as my go-to game. I'm really more a PvE player.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Complete accident. Broke my leg riding motocross. Was down for 6 months due to how it was broken. I don't watch TV but always loved RPG's. Had a friend take me to Best Buy so I could get a new RPG to play. Guild Wars looked and sounded good. Got it installed and got in game. Then was surprised to see other people running around. Has never heard of MMO's before that but fell in love with PvP and larger group content.
    From there WoW, EQ, EQ2, Aion and a whole bunch of other MMO's. But ya by accident literally.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Complete accident. Broke my leg riding motocross. Was down for 6 months due to how it was broken. I don't watch TV but always loved RPG's. Had a friend take me to Best Buy so I could get a new RPG to play. Guild Wars looked and sounded good. Got it installed and got in game. Then was surprised to see other people running around. Has never heard of MMO's before that but fell in love with PvP and larger group content.
    From there WoW, EQ, EQ2, Aion and a whole bunch of other MMO's. But ya by accident literally.

Sounds like a happy accident haha