Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Number of keybindings and targeting system

Well as far as I know Ashes of creation said there were going to be more abilities at launch. I recommended at least 12 to 16 abilities just for variety. But let say they go with about 12 well key bindings just add up. Let say you use two key bindings for pootions (two diferent types that is), use a magical item, ability tied to weapon or gear like boots of speed. Plus there are no gear restricitions so that is one key binding per gear set up, plus if you just want to switch weapons that is another key binding. Point is even with just 12 abilitties you could easily have 30 keybindings so not having a large number of abilities is not necessary a bad thing as long as you are smart and abilities are dynamic (already covered in another post) .

So just wanted to point out having a low number of abilites is not a bad thing. Devs just have to be smart to make it interesting. Plus ther are plenty of keybindings to learn tha are not abilities. Even for PVE key bindings just add up.

If you add keybindings for PVP then well that can be ten extra keybindings easy just for targeting, which leads me to my next point. Well haet to put it this way but think best approach for targeting system is to peruse and look at some of the targeting systems already out there just so you do not miss anything. For example here are some things you could miss not that you would but here is a shor list any ways

Target Target of Target Now what this does let say a mage is casting their ultimate ability but do not know who is targeted then it gives a healer the ability to push one button and prepare to heal or cast a protection abilty.

Siege weopon abilities In some games when you jump into a siege vehicle you have to click on the vehicle abilities. Just be better if you could key bind them make the siege weapon feel a lot more realisitc.

Targeting system for player pets for pet classes. For example the abilty to target an enemy pet in an arena with out clicking is necessary.

Also system for canceling buffs and cast abilites is important not sure how that is going to work out. For example Mages can cast a wall of force well in pvp it might not be advantageous for to be there the entire duration.

Plus many more like target previous target, cap flag, drop flag (if those type of maps are going to be used) and so on do not feel it feel it necessary to make huge long list but rest assured pvp can become clunky if you have to click in certain situations not a big deal in PVE but I have discovered a good targeting system makes PVE very fluid makes it feel more like you are in the game.

PVP keybindings could push number of keybindings over 30 easy and that is not counting miscellaneous stuff like. mount and dismount and emotes for toon mount and pets. So bunch of abilties not really neccesary think 12 -16 abilties is fine.

Comments

• georgeblackgeorgeblack Member
    edited June 2019
    A small number of active abilities available means a boring rotation that applies to every opponent that comes across you: nuker tank brawler assassin archer bard enchanter summoner. Same rotation.

A large selection of active abilities to use from (10-20) means that according to what you face you will use a different strategy, different tools (and so will your opponent). You will enjoy at least half of the abilities your class can offer.
    I prefer smart combat than rotation combat.

Look what is happening in ESO. No matter what fight there is, players do the same rotatiom
    1) apply buffs, defences, heals and debuff on enemy.
    2)Stun and nuke.

This is why I support 10-20 keys and individual cooldowns.

Anything more than that or with global cooldown would make combat a boring rotation.
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would prefer to not see heavily restrictive keybinding, one of my biggest gripes with ESO is the fact that you're limited to 5 skills and an ult on each weapon preset. I would much rather see a system like WoW or FFXIV where you can have multiple action bars(12 skill slots) with a custom key binding on each skill slot. I want to have all of my abilities bound to some key I don't like having to click on the screen anymore than necessary.
    k2U15J3.png
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The more skills the better and having to much keybindings isnt rly possible imo xd + alot of them can be shared anyway xd
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am a fan of less is more in this case. If you have to consider your environment and what you are doing, I think that is better.

Do you want to go gather resources, equip for that. Just be aware you could be engaged in PvP and have to defend yourself. Note: I am not the most fond of PvP, especially if one side doesn't fight back, but for me that's just part of the game.

If you are going into a siege, take a minute before it starts and ready yourself.
    If you are going into a dungeon, take a minute and rebind your keys.

I guess my point is with limited keybinding the real-time-strategy aspect increases. People can find themselves in less than favorable situations because they chose the wrong keybinding and were caught off guard trying to re-bind an ability. Sounds like fun.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2019
    My problem with a less is more approach is that to me, combat is the core of an MMO.

As the core of the game (to me) it needs to be interesting in and of itself. In order to be interesting, I need to have a multitude of options during combat.

It's fantastic to have a strong meta-game where you have to pick which abilities to take and which to leave, where you have to make assumptions about what you will face, and thus what you will need. Thing is though, if I get in front of an enemy and only have 8 - 12 viable abilities to use, I'll get bored of the game before three months is up.

I don't see any reason why a game like Ashes can't have a strong meta-game where you have to make real decisions about some abilities to leave behind for a given spec, and still have players taking 20 - 24 abilities with them.

This number - to me - is the idea. Two hotbars of either 10 or 12 abilities to use (any gamer should have 24+ key combination shortcuts locked up in their muscle memory). However, that is working on the proviso that context sensitive abilities do not take up a spot on the hotbar. As an example, if you have a parry, block or riposte as an activatable ability, when there is a situation in which you could use that activity, you will recieve an on screen (and perhaps audio) prompt saying "press F to". I'd also like to see that be how in combat consumables work as well, rather than having to put them in a hotbar slot.
  • "Luke, you switched off your targeting computer! What's wrong?" "Nothing. I'm all right."

(sorry couldn't resist)