Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What are some of the best concepts that have never made it to a MMORPG (yet)?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
What are some design concepts you were inspired by during a game`s design stage that is either in still progress, or never made it?

Just one example below

1) Everquest Next - Destructible Environments
If I recall correctly, it has a server wide destructible environment. Whilst many varied applications one I think was where those players mining actually had the potential do impact the environment and actually dig. And that went further, how they dug ie down, across or deeper varied the outcome of the mines content.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• During the development stage? Hum.. Difficult question as most design elements are black boxes to the public. Your example is a good one. So sad that game was scrapped. ug..

An example I can bring to the table was the original crafting design for the game Horizons before development went black.. and when the 'lights' were turned back on, the design was gone and replaced with a simple 'click to combine' system. The crafting in Ashes seems to be taking a similar (roughly) road as the original Horizons in complexity... Classes, inter dependency, quality of sub-combines.. ect..

in addition, if I am recalling correctly, the original design for Horizons had no levels, just quality of spells/abilities, and gear. Imagine a classic fantasy mmo without levels? Interesting.
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The destructible environment in EQ Next was very enjoyable to test and a shame it never made it out of development. Looking forward to see what Intrepid do with this concept as they often talk about it being included in Ashes.