Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes = Archeage with nodes + no P2W?

For some reason, I believe Ashes will have many similar features with Archeage.

- Player-driven economy
- Themepark but 'Sandbox' at the same time 👀
- Rich lore
- Castle sieges
- Combat: Ashes seems to be leaning more towards tab target despite the fact they go with a 'hybrid'.

I, for one, would like to see Ashes develop as a completely new MMORPG that is different from all others not just through node system and risk vs reward but through its core gameplay.

What do you think about this; will Ashes be just Archeage with nodes + no p2w or will it succeed in changing the genre?
signature.png

Comments

• Options
    seaberseaber Member, Intrepid Pack
    Archeage's combat system is hybrid tab and 'action'
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    @seaber We haven’t seen the hybrid combat yet and we most probably won’t till sometime near Alpha 1 and no, Archeage isn’t hybrid - it’s full tab. I recommend you do further reading regarding APOC and why it exists in the first place :)
  • Options
    @thesaltbridge agreed. We'll have to wait and see
    signature.png
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @seaber We haven’t seen the hybrid combat yet and we most probably won’t till sometime near Alpha 1 and no, Archeage isn’t hybrid - it’s full tab. I recommend you do further reading regarding APOC and why it exists in the first place :)

Archeage wasn't fully tab. There were some skills that required some form of action.

But yes, it was predominantly tab targeting combat.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    karthos wrote: »

Archeage wasn't fully tab. There were some skills that required some form of action.

But yes, it was predominantly tab targeting combat.

There are surely some 'action' elements of Archeage but it would be a stretch to call it a hybrid combat MMORPG (as it has never been done before and ESO is the closest one I can think of (soft targeting with some element of aiming). Until we know how much of the Ashes combat will require manual aiming, it will be hard to comment on that matter. However, we do know that there will be headshots, projectile and hitscan elements in ranged combat.
    signature.png
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The player driven economy in Ashes is more comparable to EVE Online than Archeage as in what you purchase from the auction house has to be picked up locally. In Archeage it was a group of servers sharing the auction house listings that could be collected at the global level. That definitely cant happen in Ashes if you have to collect from the source location.

Not sure yet if it has even been confirmed if auction house listings will be limited to the node influence or server wide. If it is restricted to the node then it is even more comparable to EVE as auction listings that are restricted to the region and why you end with hubs like Jita, Rens etc.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    It's an economic node only feature @neomir It was shown in the know your nodes series. There are some further features like vasal nodes of an economic node has some auction house functionality and the super power too.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's not really surprising that Ashes of Creation will take inspiration from Archeage since Steven used to play that game. Also you'd be hard pressed to find a single game that is completely unique in every way, particularly for mmorpgs.

I guarantee that any core gameplay system you can come up with has been done in a previous game. As for changing the genre, does Ashes need to? It's like a few years ago when everyone said "this game is going to kill WoW", etc etc. But why does it need to kill WoW?

Not every game has to change the gaming industry and if you go into Ashes thinking it will do that then you will probably be disappointed.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's not really surprising that Ashes of Creation will take inspiration from Archeage since Steven used to play that game. Also you'd be hard pressed to find a single game that is completely unique in every way, particularly for mmorpgs.

I guarantee that any core gameplay system you can come up with has been done in a previous game. As for changing the genre, does Ashes need to? It's like a few years ago when everyone said "this game is going to kill WoW", etc etc. But why does it need to kill WoW?

Not every game has to change the gaming industry and if you go into Ashes thinking it will do that then you will probably be disappointed.

I can't agree with this more.

I'm tired of the "WoW Killer" benchmark. I feel like Blizzard is doing that in their own when it comes anyway.

Just make a game that's fun and unique where it needs to be.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2019
    karthos wrote: »

I can't agree with this more.

I'm tired of the "WoW Killer" benchmark. I feel like Blizzard is doing that in their own when it comes anyway.

Just make a game that's fun and unique where it needs to be.

It doesn't necessarily need to be that unique to be honest, just well thought out and executed. I've recently been playing through Ori and the Blind Forest and it's not really unique in any way. In fact, it's your bog standard metroidvania-style game with pretty graphics and music. But it is so well done that it feels fresh and original. The gameplay is interesting, the controls are really tight, the enemies are varied and the puzzles are well thought out. It doesn't need fancy gimmicks or be super unique because it does what it does so damn well.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    grisu wrote: »
    It's an economic node only feature @neomir It was shown in the know your nodes series. There are some further features like vassal nodes of an economic node has some auction house functionality and the super power too.

That is a good point, so an economic node when it reaches level 6 becomes a linked economy via auction house to all other auction houses allowing you to bid on any other linked economy node. Effectively making it a global auction. However unlike other MMO's where you can just list and collect items from anywhere in the world you are restricted to storing your listings in the parent node. This applies to vassal nodes too even when the parent is below level 6.

It does not mention (at least I couldn't find it) when using a level 6 auction to bid on an item in another linked economy node when you win that auction you can collect globally. I suspect you will need travel to the other node to collect or arrange a caravan to transport the goods to you hoping that some nasty Reaver does not steal your stuff during the journey (sorry bout that) :grin:
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    @neomir clarification. It becomes a linked economy to all other level 6 economy nodes.

And yes the "where do I pick up my stuff" was very vage, but in a stream they clarified that point. You have to pick up the stuff in the node where it was posted. It will never get transported to you automatically. It's also true for vasal nodes. You can bid from the parent node, but picking up your won items will always requiere traveling to the node where the item was posted.

Makes me wonder. If you won a bid and the node gets sieged and destroyed before you pick it up, what happens then? automatic transport after all? :kappa
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    grisu wrote: »
    @neomir clarification. It becomes a linked economy to all other level 6 economy nodes.

And yes the "where do I pick up my stuff" was very vage, but in a stream they clarified that point. You have to pick up the stuff in the node where it was posted. It will never get transported to you automatically. It's also true for vasal nodes. You can bid from the parent node, but picking up your won items will always requiere traveling to the node where the item was posted.

Makes me wonder. If you won a bid and the node gets sieged and destroyed before you pick it up, what happens then? automatic transport after all? :kappa

My honest hope in this situation is that the items are lost.

There is almost a week long notice period for a siege on a metropolis (iirc), so people can only blame themselves.
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If the item is not lost, it should be returned to the player that put it up for auction.
    That way they can put it up for auction again. However, if you lose currency at the end of the auction period, then the item should just disappear.

I am under the impression this level of commerce, along with other node abilities, is shut down during a siege. To me this would mean you have at least a week to pick up your item, or if the node was under siege you wouldn't have been able to use the auction house. *This could very likely be incorrect*
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    @grisu I agree with your clarification thanks for pointing that out. In the part of the know your node blog it states: Worldwide sale prices for Auction Houses across Verra which sort of implies all auction houses, but then later mentions in the super power section: items listed in one Linked Economy Node can be bid on from any other Linked Economy Node.

I guess to bring this back to the OP the economy in Ashes will be a lot more like EVE than Archeage, where you will need to move your auction purchases with the risk of it being stolen and not be able to collect at the global level. This will also create localised markets hubs that will become popular due to location or the price/items that are sold there a bit like Jita in EVE. The really interesting aspect is unlike a system in EVE that is static the node is far from static so established hubs are going be a lot harder to take hold and will really heavily on the determination of those that want to defend it as citizens.

There is a comparison with Archeage for transporting packs which is something that attracted a lot of people to the game in the first place. Ashes takes this to a whole new level.