Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Group Based Resource Gathering

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Whilst individual resource gathering is the norm and I do not wish to take that away, I was thinking that for certain tier and/or unique resources if they had to be gathered as a team/group at the same time, making the gathering for a certain range of items limited to group play.

Not talking about bosses which already would likely require group play but natural resources.

All for fostering group play and keeping certain resources limited on market and provide an incentive and reward for players that play together.

General resources, nil change.

Just a thought.

Comments

• Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vanguard allowed co-operative gathering, one person would initiate the gather with appropriate skill then others could also then click the node. I seem to remember a higher yield with more people though do not remember if it had a higher chance to yield rarer mats. I did like the idea of multiple people gathering from the same node for a better yield.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think that would be acceptable for bosses in the open world, dungeons and raids. It would make sense that multiple people can dissect something when it is as big as a small hill xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    JjampongJjampong Member
    edited June 2019
    damokles wrote: »
    I think that would be acceptable for bosses in the open world, dungeons and raids. It would make sense that multiple people can dissect something when it is as big as a small hill xD

Yeah I agree. In open world there could also be some group-gathered mats, as long as they are confined in small areas. That way gatherers know what to plan for. Wouldn't want to spot a super rare material while walking around and not be able to gather it.

As for regular (even high-tier) materials in the world. I think they should remain gatherable by one person. I'm a big supporter of giving incentives to the players for group play. But having those mats in the world just seems incredibly tedious and time consuming.
    Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • Options
    Kiryu_riyKiryu_riy Member, Leader of Men
    May be some type of stations for extracting resourses that group can use, it maybe has a high chance of getting high grade resours, but not every body can loot them may be leader or one person. May be it can be feature for crafting guild.
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think group gathering, especially if a structure needed to be built and maintained would be a lot of fun. Getting a higher yield of materials would be, imo, acceptable. Blocking gathering content (rare materials) behind the quantifier of "group gathering" I would not enjoy. A lot of those activities are done by PvE's and a lot of that content can be performed over shorter periods or when players don't feel like grouping.

Locking some rare materials behind groups benefits guilds more than anything. I like the thought of making more group activities outside of PvP, but I am not sure if hiding rare materials behind that content is good.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    azathoth wrote: »
    I think group gathering, especially if a structure needed to be built and maintained would be a lot of fun. Getting a higher yield of materials would be, imo, acceptable. Blocking gathering content (rare materials) behind the quantifier of "group gathering" I would not enjoy. A lot of those activities are done by PvE's and a lot of that content can be performed over shorter periods or when players don't feel like grouping.

Locking some rare materials behind groups benefits guilds more than anything. I like the thought of making more group activities outside of PvP, but I am not sure if hiding rare materials behind that content is good.

As I written before it can be content for crafting guild or group of people that dedicate to crafting and I think certain material locked behind this contend bring relevance for people that maybe want be gatherers so they know that this material specifically will be necessar.
  • Options
    It seems like a viable idea but I am not sure why you would want it implemented exactly. Group play is already highly incentivized. As mentioned, you would already be "group" gathering sort of when you are able to skin a world boss dragon for example as it takes a group to accomplish. To have nodes that require a group to extract, you will also be required to appropriately scale the yield so in principle everyone gets a share of the materials, and in an automated manner (or risk ninja looting). That is, if all of the party members are expected to have some gathering requirement. But if it is just anyone who could help with the group extraction, then automating the shared looting will not make as much sense and I suspect a lot of (not fun) conflict between players in terms of compensation.

Going back, your 2 main reasons for suggesting this were 1. incentivize/reward group play more and 2. further limit gathering of some resources. Again, I think 1. group play is already highly incentivized and 2. you were discussing high tier and rare materials only anyways, which should already be rare and could just have reduced spawn rate/higher gathering requirements. Essentially, lots of ways to accomplish this if needed, but also it feels more of a balance concern which is strange when we have no info on how common the "rare" materials will be.

I think requiring groups to reach/find materials is ok but to explicitly and directly require multiple people to extract mats seems unnecessary (at least I don't see the point).
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Having a mechanic where gathering is always a solo affair with the option of more people on the same node benefits everyone would cut down on node stealing. If you had a group on the same node it might very slightly increase the chance of a rare, and everyone must benefit, otherwise be prepared for squabbling.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    neuroguy wrote: »
    It seems like a viable idea but I am not sure why you would want it implemented exactly. Group play is already highly incentivized. As mentioned, you would already be "group" gathering sort of when you are able to skin a world boss dragon for example as it takes a group to accomplish. To have nodes that require a group to extract, you will also be required to appropriately scale the yield so in principle everyone gets a share of the materials, and in an automated manner (or risk ninja looting). That is, if all of the party members are expected to have some gathering requirement. But if it is just anyone who could help with the group extraction, then automating the shared looting will not make as much sense and I suspect a lot of (not fun) conflict between players in terms of compensation.

Going back, your 2 main reasons for suggesting this were 1. incentivize/reward group play more and 2. further limit gathering of some resources. Again, I think 1. group play is already highly incentivized and 2. you were discussing high tier and rare materials only anyways, which should already be rare and could just have reduced spawn rate/higher gathering requirements. Essentially, lots of ways to accomplish this if needed, but also it feels more of a balance concern which is strange when we have no info on how common the "rare" materials will be.

I think requiring groups to reach/find materials is ok but to explicitly and directly require multiple people to extract mats seems unnecessary (at least I don't see the point).

See it like group help you dig deeper or cut high and big trees, catch big fish....
  • Options
    neuroguy wrote: »

You are right, but they could work around that.
    They (IS) could implement normally long gathering times if you are alone, but you would also get more of the specific resource.
    Example:
    A bard goes around and gathers copper ore. Right next to him a group of three starts to gather copper ore from another node. The group of three is three times as fast, but only gets 1/3 of the resource per person. Where the bard gets 100, each of the three only gets 33, with the last piece going missing.

This is only an idea and nothing that i actually want tbh xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    neuroguyneuroguy Member
    edited June 2019
    @ryuuji
    Lol I don't see how that addresses any of my points haha. I understand thematically how it would work. But why? I could also dig twice as long solo to dig deeper or buy a bigger net to catch bigger fish solo. Why would this be implemented in the game is the question.

@damokles
    Again, I know it is feasible to implement it. I don't understand why it would be implemented. Does it add anything to the game? Like you could also add group "buying" from vendors. Where if you try to buy items from a vendor with a group, you could convince the shop keeper to give you a discount or bulk-pricing. That would also incentivize group play but... why?
  • Options
    @neuroguy
    I have no idea why someone would implement wide spread gathering^^

My opinion is that it should only be implemented where it would make sense that multiple people can gather from ONE entity (like a dragon, or some other big creature for example), or from an ore vein.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    damokles wrote: »
    @neuroguy
    I have no idea why someone would implement wide spread gathering^^

My opinion is that it should only be implemented where it would make sense that multiple people can gather from ONE entity (like a dragon, or some other big creature for example), or from an ore vein.

It what I want to say)