Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Do you think that mounts in the later years of mmorpg make it so that a lot of adventure is sideline

For me it feels that mounts make the gaming experience feel rushed, as opposed to living every moment of a journey.

I believe that mounts and their usage should be kept to a minimum or with conditions.

What is your view after playing mmorpgs years ago and more recently?

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    6d90674d589541468d89f1a80894772f.png
    ffbdebc7fab898a5a41989498e238a5d.png
    63434c55ed4c338d719356941d3561d6.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Depends on the mounts. I'd agree that flying mounts in wow did this but mounts in wow are also very limited. In wow, mounts are no more then a speed buff but in ashes, we know mounts will have a abilities which gives them a lot of room to expand on mounts in ways other then making them fast and flying.
  • Kiryu_riyKiryu_riy Member, Leader of Men
    flying everywhere mounts destroy exploration and interaction between players
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2019
    It's an interesting question, which I will answer by talking about 2 different mmorpgs: GW2 and WoW. In WoW, as @mcstackerson pointed out, mounts are literally just a speed buff used for convenience. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't add anything to the game except allow players to go faster from point A to point B.

On the other hand, the mounts in GW2 play a much bigger role. Each mount has a skill tree and special abilities that make it stand out from the others. One mount allows you to jump up very high, whereas another allows you to jump across large distances in one go. Not only that but the world is designed to make full use of the different mounts. The game heavily rewards exploration and you need to switch mounts often to explore the world fully, since some places can only be accessed with a certain mount.

In my opinion, GW2 uses mounts very well by designing the world and gameplay around them, whereas in WoW they are just used for convenience. So to answer the question, if mounts in Ashes work as they do in WoW, then you are right that exploration and adventure will be sidelined. However, if the devs take the time to incorporate mounts into the gameplay experience, it can be amazing.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • StoopStoop Member
    I love flying mounts but that is also due to the fact that pw had them as well as flying abilities for aerial combat and to reach different locations. Also looking at the world from above in AoC would be breathtaking as it would be a whole new perspective. Especially with the amount of exploration that the game is supposedly going to have seeing the world from above would in my opinion aid the player to find an interesting destination
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I plan to live in a major scientific node... teleports and airships my friend teleports and airships, who even needs mounts in the age of science and blackened powder?
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • grisugrisu Member
    I remember when people in the gw2 community vehemently denied the existence of the telporting nodes. "It ruins the experience of wandering rp so itcan't exist"
    I'm sitting here like, planes exist, does that mean you can't walk on foot? Don't use it if it's so detrimental to your experience.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Kiryu_riyKiryu_riy Member, Leader of Men
    It's an interesting question, which I will answer by talking about 2 different mmorpgs: GW2 and WoW. In WoW, as @mcstackerson pointed out, mounts are literally just a speed buff used for convenience. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't add anything to the game except allow players to go faster from point A to point B.

On the other hand, the mounts in GW2 play a much bigger role. Each mount has a skill tree and special abilities that make it stand out from the others. One mount allows you to jump up very high, whereas another allows you to jump across large distances in one go. Not only that but the world is designed to make full use of the different mounts. The game heavily rewards exploration and you need to switch mounts often to explore the world fully, since some places can only be accessed with a certain mount.

In my opinion, GW2 uses mounts very well by designing the world and gameplay around them, whereas in WoW they are just used for convenience. So to answer the question, if mounts in Ashes work as they do in WoW, then you are right that exploration and adventure will be sidelined. However, if the devs take the time to incorporate mounts into the gameplay experience, it can be amazing.

Good example
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    there will be mounted abilities, my guess is that it will be like gw2 where every mount type has one skill that for example jumps or does a opening attack. what i didnt like about it is that it basicly gated a whole expansion worth of content behind 1 mount skill. kinda like you get the mount > jump once over a cliff to get to a new place > never have to use the skill again XD as long the skills actually do something special it should be cool :P
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    shkevi wrote: »
    there will be mounted abilities, my guess is that it will be like gw2 where every mount type has one skill that for example jumps or does a opening attack. what i didnt like about it is that it basicly gated a whole expansion worth of content behind 1 mount skill. kinda like you get the mount > jump once over a cliff to get to a new place > never have to use the skill again XD as long the skills actually do something special it should be cool :P

True and to a certain extent GW2 falls into this trap, but this can be overcome by putting in lots of areas that require use of the mount skills. Metroidvania games do this very well, by locking game areas, secrets and shortcuts off from the players early on, who then need to backtrack and explore those areas when they acquire new skills or items.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2019
    shkevi wrote: »

I'm not sure if they have said this but i assume mounts will me more like Archeage then GW2 and won't have content locked behind them like in GW2. In archeage, mounts had a variety of abilities that did things from sprinting to attacking. There was even a stealth ability some mounts had.
    Here is an example of what i'm talking about:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=nMjw5of4H8M
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited June 2019
    I don't find mounts themselves make the journey feel rushed but the underutilisation or sheer discarding of zones once players have levelled past them.

If I know that at any time any zone could have new, dynamic content appearing, I'd be less inclined to zoom past it in my lightning sabertooth mount and more inclined to pay attention to the zone as I'm riding through it.

If you remove or limit mounts in other MMOs players will just be very bored trudging through zones that offer them no content value.
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @mcstackerson that would be rly cool !
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Adventuring becoming sidelined isn't due to mounts, rather it's due to static regions and outleveling those regions such that there is no reason to adventure there again when your level is too high.

If the content is dynamic and continues to change significantly even months and years after characters have hit max level - mounts are not going to prevent players from seeking adventure wherever there is adventure to be had.
    If the adventure is limited to a couple of months of content -at best- then, yeah, there's not a lot of adventure.
    And mounts are really moot in that regard.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    To me, this is another of those topics that can be outlined with a simple statement - don't do what WoW did.

To me, mounts should be a core part of the game. Buying, selling, breeding, aging and dying are all things that should be a part of mounts in a game like Ashes, along with gear, stats and abilities (both combat and movement based).

To me, a mount should have both equipment slots (as per Archeage), but should also have bag slots.

Id also like to see instant summons of mounts gone. Give players the option to have a stable as a building on a freehold, and any mount a player owns but isn't using needs to be kept at a stable - and if you want to swap mounts, you have to go to the stable the mount you want is at.
  • kriinkriin Member
    I feel most mmo that mounts are too fast. It takes you a few minutes to zip to the other side of the zone. Make then a tad bit faster then running and a lot more stamina. Maybe they will have different traits when breeding that defines them as mount for players or they are good for caravan.
    You know what I'd love to see in Ashes? Skyrim horses!!! Horses that can scale mountains, clip through walls and learn abilities faster than the player character :D
    volunteer_moderator.gif