Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Does anyone know much about Blocking?

Does anyone know much about the blocking mechanic. Will block create a flat damage absorption percentage that works for both blocking normal attacks and skills? Or will there be spells/skills that penetrate block? I would of submitted this in Q & A but this week it's PVP experiences instead of Q & A.

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    c24859d75f3a788749a29201b882eef1.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    :)
    I really, really, really need a LOL button!
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is one of those questions that might be a little too early to answer as they still are figuring out how they want combat to work.

We don't really know much. In APOC(the BR), one of the weapons was able to block and from what I remember, it blocked all damage types (I believe from the front). I don't remember any abilities going through the block.
  • Options
    Just guessing that there will be a passive block/parry system in place due to the type of combat style they are going for. Hybrid combat will more than likely have the passive system complimented by an active system for players to use. Could be that the player with a shield will have a certain skill, like that Divine Protection in APOC, that blocks all attacks for 10 seconds but stops once you attack. Plenty of possibilities here. I personally wish they would go full action combat so evasion and block have to be done actively but that's just me.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    APOC has a shield and sword, where the shield itself has a specific amount of HP, and absorbs the damage.
    That could also be implemented in the MMORPG and could be really interesting.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    SarevokSarevok Member
    edited July 2019
    damokles wrote: »
    APOC has a shield and sword, where the shield itself has a specific amount of HP, and absorbs the damage.
    That could also be implemented in the MMORPG and could be really interesting.

It would closely resemble what Black Desert Online has. Then there would be arguments on what classes would get a block skill or parry mechanic. I am sure there would be some intuitive ways to do this for all classes. i.e. Anyone with a shield could hold the block while other classes that did not equip a shield could parry but had to initiate it at a certain time or miss. Or give certain classes an evade mechanic.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    b2c803160b79ad89dcbe8fc675ab7d23.png
    8ba35fec4f15ed0c6429679f442b4d10.png

And fresh and hot from Discord today.
    Shields.png

south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Shields.png

Basically what this tells us is to get full benefit of your shield, you need to have it facing the direction the attack comes from.

Which is logical.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    karthos wrote: »

Shields.png

Basically what this tells us is to get full benefit of your shield, you need to have it facing the direction the attack comes from.

Which is logical.

Yes, although it sounds like blocking will be a fully passive action, which I know the TERA players will be a bit disappointed by.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    sarevok wrote: »
    Just guessing that there will be a passive block/parry system in place due to the type of combat style they are going for. Hybrid combat will more than likely have the passive system complimented by an active system for players to use. Could be that the player with a shield will have a certain skill, like that Divine Protection in APOC, that blocks all attacks for 10 seconds but stops once you attack. Plenty of possibilities here. I personally wish they would go full action combat so evasion and block have to be done actively but that's just me.

I agree with you here and I hope they do go for full action combat as ue4 has great tools for ensuring this happens fairly smoothly real time and I also think it would increase the skill cap for melee combat so it would equal that required to be a top DPS ranged player.
  • Options
    karthos wrote: »

Shields.png

Which is logical.

Yes, although it sounds like blocking will be a fully passive action, which I know the TERA players will be a bit disappointed by.

is that so? I only heard the lead designer recently say that they are testing stances. So one could hope full action might still be a possibility.