Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Swimwear

ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
Today is national Bikini day so what better question to ask than should the Bikini be in game? :smile:

In Archeage which had a very different theme to Ashes the swim wear options were quite common and various. I don't necessarily mean a polka dot bikini, or a modern style, it could be something more in line with the theme in Ashes. Lets face it although swimming for pleasure didn't become popular until the 19th/20th centuries people were swimming before then and wore swim wear. Perhaps there is a place for this in Ashes of Creation?

In an attempt to stay politically correct this includes shorts/budgie smugglers for men :blush:

Comments

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What an odd request.....
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    VirhVirh Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    An Island Node with Bikini wearing beach goers would be nice.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My swimwear is already determined: heavy plate or chainwest.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Going to need some swim trunks for my orc...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    What an odd request.....
    I am trying to see where in my OP I have requested anything? I merely am striking up a conversation and questioning if swimwear has a place in this game. Not sure what is odd about that?
  • Options
    ShoklenShoklen Member
    edited July 2019
    Fun side story, I once modeled a scuba mask and head-piece for an anthropomorphic goat... used in an Army/Navy football half-time animation... Good memories there... :smile:
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    I think if they want to keep with their medieval fantasy setting that they stay away from casual beach stuff. Up until just a couple hundred years ago people didn't hang out at the beach. It was a place filled with danger and monsters to be avoided. So the idea that people have returned to Verra with all its corrupted dangers and wildlife to have a bbq on the beach is a bit of a stretch. So, my vote is a no.
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/inventing-beach-unnatural-history-natural-place-180959538/

However, since we do have polynesian themed dwarves in the Nikua you will most likely see some kinds of beachwear.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    consultantconsultant Member
    edited July 2019
    Well the OP said bikinis I always seem to notice bikini like full plated armour in every MMO. Which to me does not even make sense. Just wearing short sleeve shirt out in the will cause you to have a lot of scratches on your arm. Like those guys in 300 hundred going around killing everying in oversized underwear nothing some spiked balls or darts could not handle.

But like I said for the most part they are very popular. The bikini full plate armour set that is. Some ladies even complain about how the best armour sets in game are like bikini armour.
  • Options
    whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    consultant wrote: »
    Well the OP said bikinis I always seem to notice bikini like full plated armour in every MMO. Which to me does not even make sense. Just wearing short sleeve shirt out in the will cause you to have a lot of scratches on your arm. Like those guys in 300 hundred going around killing everying in oversized underwear nothing some spiked balls or darts could not handle.

But like I said for the most part they are very popular. The bikini full plate armour set that is. Some ladies even complain about how the best armour sets in game are like bikini armour.

Tera . . . Great Eye candy, for both males and females, BUT it can get pretty ridiculous.
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'd prefer swimwear the old style, in the buff.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I would personally prefer it if this kind of thing was kept out of the game, or limited to use while in the water.

I'd rather Ashes kept some sort of sense of reality to it, at least in terms of visuals.
  • Options
    Should bikini's be in AoC? No. No modern day beachwear, and no (island) resorts.

Those elements seem to be a standard cultural icon in eastern MMOs/Anime, but I just can't see them having a place in Verra.

• Options
    ravudha wrote: »
    Should bikini's be in AoC? No. No modern day beachwear, and no (island) resorts.

Those elements seem to be a standard cultural icon in eastern MMOs/Anime, but I just can't see them having a place in Verra.
    I am going to quote this statement as it is exactly my thoughts on this. I wanted my OP to be as neutral as possible, but the whole beachwear concept does not fit with Ashes of Creation.

• Options
    elf wrote: »
    I'd prefer swimwear the old style, in the buff.

I wonder if this topic becomes a discussion for in game toon nudity and an 18+ tag on the game, or even if character speed, swim or run, will be affected by the type of armor worn or not, or just general weight vs encumbrance/strength values?
  • Options
    When it comes to weight and swimming.. I'm torn.. I want weight to effect swimming...

... But, I also remember friends logging to accounts of their buddies in EQ1.. Exchanging gold and platinum into copper (coins had weight).. Swimming out into Ocean of Tears with a strength and water breathing buff.. swimming to the bottom of the ocean; clicking off the buffs then logging out.. Buddy logs on a few hours later drowning and can't swim..

Perhaps armor can effect the speed at which someone can swim, that makes sense.

Also, no jet skies... (akin to motorcycles in WoW)
  • Options
    That doesn't quite sound like "buddy" and "friend" material in my book, but i'm not one to share out my passwords either way. I would love weight to affect things and stats to midagate that, more of a reason to have mounts for weight and carry slots as well. But the game will either have to go slot limit or weight limits, going both would be heartbreaking.
  • Options
    aundrew wrote: »
    That doesn't quite sound like "buddy" and "friend" material in my book, but i'm not one to share out my passwords either way. I would love weight to affect things and stats to midagate that, more of a reason to have mounts for weight and carry slots as well. But the game will either have to go slot limit or weight limits, going both would be heartbreaking.

Account sharing between good friends.. It was much more common back in the early days on Eq1.. If you died you could actually de'level but if you're friend had a high level cleric character, you could regain something like 90% of that lost experience... Coupled with leveling was extremely slow back in those days.. It was a nice work around.. Till they pranked you..

Example: you're at level cap of 50 (vanilla Eq1).. You die.. you drop to level 49.5.. You could spend a week gaining 50 back or load up, and box, your buddies account and resurrect your own character.

Never done now a days of course.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    aundrew wrote: »

You don't seem to have any good friends then lol. I feel sorry for you. Some of the best friends I have ever had, have also been my worst enemies because they knew me the best and were reliable. In MOST situations (when it matters and not just a fun thing) they were trustworthy but the most recent example has to be fortnite (the REAL fortnite, not that pleb shit pvp), when me or my friend would build a ramp really high to find certain objectives and if we didn't connect it to anything else you better save your secondary jump because there is a good chance they are destroying your ramp for the lawls.
  • Options
    CaelronCaelron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Extra points for using the phrase "budgie smugglers".

That being said - I would love some swimwear, but I think it should be functional.
    In other words, you have to take off all your armor (or replace armor) to use it. It can't be just cosmetic, or that would get out of hand pretty quick.
  • Options
    HexcatHexcat Member
    I like the idea of resorts islands, and that ONLY THERE you can use swimsuit
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    lumbermark wrote: »
    I like the idea of resorts islands, and that ONLY THERE you can use swimsuit
    At first I thought good idea when @elve first mentioned it above but then I thought if it was done with modern swimwear it would not fit with the rest of Verra.

Now I think it would actually be cool to see an island node that did incorporate this with a fashion that is in line with the lore. Maybe a Niküa influenced island with grass skirts and coconut/shell bikini's? :grin:
  • Options
    @neomir
    A new Node orientation: Tourism (only achievable by being a waterlocked node with a majority inhabitation of Nikua dwarvs)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    @damokles it doesnt really need a new orientation. Tourism can fit into Divine node quite easily.

The first tourists after all were pilgrims to the holy places in the world.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It starts to be a slippery slope once they start down that path. There was an armor set in SWTOR that basically was the emperors new clothes, turned whatever you were wearing clear. Took a bit to farm, but I made sure to find or purchase all the pieces and slap them on so basically my character was nude. I had planned for this when I had created the character. Had made a huge fat tank with the lightest skin tone possible, then took them to the dark side. At DS level 5 they were basically a huge, veiny white maggot in a sausage casing. It disturbed people no end. Was hilarious.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    It starts to be a slippery slope once they start down that path. There was an armor set in SWTOR that basically was the emperors new clothes, turned whatever you were wearing clear. Took a bit to farm, but I made sure to find or purchase all the pieces and slap them on so basically my character was nude. I had planned for this when I had created the character. Had made a huge fat tank with the lightest skin tone possible, then took them to the dark side. At DS level 5 they were basically a huge, veiny white maggot in a sausage casing. It disturbed people no end. Was hilarious.

LOL-Button
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options

Look up "Tera Elin swimsuit" and that is what "gone too far" looks like :neutral: