Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should we expect T or even M rated content?

I was watching an independent animated series of Warcraft III Reign of Chaos (i will leave the link at the bottom of the discussion) and I started to remember that time when I realized how brutal and gory the actual game was
I mean, you literally have those corpse wagons that threw torsos at buildings!!!
And then you come to the MMORPG version where you can go to this zombie infested areas and have to kill farmers who are "the last traces of humanity left in the area"
So what can we expect from AOC in therms of this type of content? I think that the lore so far gives a lot of chances to introduce crude-hidetaka miyazaki-kind of scenes or situations, think for example the castles that the guilds are able to raid, the NPC that are there could be the descendants or even the players that managed to gather and resist there since the great fall of the world, they become mad and there is no good for anyone to leave those fortifications in hands of such individuals.
And talking about the actual gameplay it comes to my mind something like...maybe the necromancer using the actual corpse to create a zombie/skeleton/flesh golem like that scene in OVERLORD (i know, i know, Im an otaku :P) where instead of just coming out of the ground there is these black goo taking over the corpse and then becoming the minion.
Im not saying that the whole game should have an adult, dark, depressing, creepy, horror themed aura, but some of this kind of content could be very interesting to see inside the game
who says that all should be whimsical and full of color?
But let me know what you boys and girls think
Wold you like to see this kind of content?
What other stuff could be added in this theme?
Maybe there could be even a more adult content like the idea of player-owned outlaw fight clubs or a black market?

here is the link, hope you can have a better idea of what Im talking about: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXI_U5pwlh-zT4TfAbRlI8Q
giphy.gif

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like blood effects on critical hits (think of a bloodspurt effect) and I am also a fan of darker genres (I like Bloodborne and DarkSouls very much as an example)

IS will have to watch out though, when they want to expand into china, because their laws there concerning such things are way more regulated:
    -no shown bones
    -no corpses
    -no blood
    -no card-games like poker
    -graphical violence
    -overly indecent exposure
    -etc

a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    HexcatHexcat Member
    damokles wrote: »
    I would like blood effects on critical hits (think of a bloodspurt effect) and I am also a fan of darker genres (I like Bloodborne and DarkSouls very much as an example)

IS will have to watch out though, when they want to expand into china, because their laws there concerning such things are way more regulated:
    -no shown bones
    -no corpses
    -no blood
    -no card-games like poker
    -graphical violence
    -overly indecent exposure
    -etc

Yeah, i think they are aware of that, but hey, if WOW managed to root in China, literally having a whole playable race and a whole expansion around the undead theme, i think IS would be just fine :blush:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    I wouldnt mind hearing a fvck or a shiet from npcs once in a while as well. When in dire straits or rly rly angry
  • Options
    I wouldnt mind hearing a fvck or a shiet from npcs once in a while as well. When in dire straits or rly rly angry

"OH FUCK, HERE THEY COME AGAIN BOIS!"

"PLEASE GOD NOT ME! I JUST GOT PROMOTED TO MINI-BOSS!"

"SHIT, FUCK, SHIT, I AM ON FIRE!"
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019

You bring them back 4 snow rabbit pelts instead of 4 snow fox pelts.

NPC " fuck this shit" and throws it on the ground.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    lumbermark wrote: »
    Yeah, i think they are aware of that, but hey, if WOW managed to root in China, literally having a whole playable race and a whole expansion around the undead theme, i think IS would be just fine :blush:
    They managed it, but they had to change huge chunks of northrend and the deathknight starting zone.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    arzosah wrote: »
    They managed it, but they had to change huge chunks of northrend and the deathknight starting zone.

I remember seeing screenshots of the changes, mostly to Undercity and the Forsaken. The changes just stripped detail away, and I stead of piles of bones, there was just a grey blob on the floor.

It made me laugh too that pretty much every gear set from Wrath had bones or skulls on it.

They had to "un-edgelord" the game.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    karthos wrote: »

I remember seeing screenshots of the changes, mostly to Undercity and the Forsaken. The changes just stripped detail away, and I stead of piles of bones, there was just a grey blob on the floor.

It made me laugh too that pretty much every gear set from Wrath had bones or skulls on it.

They had to "un-edgelord" the game.

Some of the changes in WotLK:
    -skelleton dragons turned into light blue living ones
    -skull props everywhere got removed
    -zombie trolls turned into normal trolls
    -skullstatues turned into totems
    -skelleton propbs turned into undead props
    -soulforges turned into normal metal ones
    -abominations turned into wickerman
    -skull spell effects turned into a black hole practically
    -Blood effects got turned into green goo, but that now is not even allowed anymore xD
    -skelletons overall look like undead with flesh in the places where thwy would have normally bones
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would expect a Teen rating but I would love a mature one
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    seaberseaber Member, Intrepid Pack
    Steven has said they are aiming for T but it will likely be rated M.
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    If they're expecting an M rating anyways, I'd like to see the team embrace that and go to town with it.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    If they're expecting an M rating anyways, I'd like to see the team embrace that and go to town with it.

bring in the grimdark!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    HexcatHexcat Member
    edited July 2019
    Well...I think @arzosah is right, if they're going to be classified M anyways they can be a over the top M game, that would be so cool
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Well...I think @arzosah is right, if they're going to be classified M anyways they can be a over the top M game, that would be so cool

something like the maturity of the witcher would be stunning
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    HexcatHexcat Member
    seaber wrote: »
    Steven has said they are aiming for T but it will likely be rated M.

Really looking forward for what type of content they're planning to add in order to Steven say such things :o
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think kids get to play MMOs without an adult's explicit consent so I don't really see it as a problem if its M rated or not. As long as the community is moderated in some way I feel like the next gen of youngings wanting their mmo fix will be welcome.
  • Options
    zomnivore wrote: »
    I don't think kids get to play MMOs without an adult's explicit consent so I don't really see it as a problem if its M rated or not. As long as the community is moderated in some way I feel like the next gen of youngings wanting their mmo fix will be welcome.

when has an age-gate ever stopped kids playing games to old for them ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    I think many parents are too oblivious for the rating system to matter much anyways. Spend some time in a gamestop after a big game like GTA launches and see how many kids convince their parents to to get it for them.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Taverns ----> Drinking ----> Booze ----> Mature rating
    I think many parents are too oblivious for the rating system to matter much anyways. Spend some time in a gamestop after a big game like GTA launches and see how many kids convince their parents to to get it for them.

I stood behind a woman buying Nioh for her 8yr old.

Her face was priceless when she turned to me to confirm the cashier saying "you know you dismember and decapitate people in this game right?"
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options

Her face was priceless when she turned to me to confirm the cashier saying "you know you dismember and decapitate people in this game right?"

Now that I would love to see
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

I need a LOL-Button xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    zomnivore wrote: »

I am kinda curious what country you live in lol
  • Options
    CaelronCaelron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    nagash wrote: »
    I would expect a Teen rating but I would love a mature one

This.