Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Stuttery performance of AoC

Hello everyone.

The game still seems to run very stuttery (on all hardware) as seen in the latest gameplay video.
I've timestamped some examples in a Youtube comment:
Latest Youtube video with timestamps

I've also plotted a frametime chart during Apocalypse to highlight the issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesofCreation/comments/a7vxm4/can_we_talk_about_the_awful_performance_and/

I'm curious if Intrepid is aware of what is causing the issues as well as how and when they plan to fix them.
Please don't write a generic "the game is not out yet, performance will improve over time" answer, that is not helpful.

I could go on with this post on why this is extremely important to fix, why this type of bug is typically fixed in early development or not at all, why many games subconsciously feel bad to play because of issues like this, why some people seem to not notice it even though it seems to affect everyone, etc. but I'd like to keep it short and just get a technical answer to this.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    willyfisch wrote: »
    Please don't write a generic "the game is not out yet, performance will improve over time" answer, that is not helpful.
    There is quite literally no point in working on performance until you have all of the major systems in place.

Ashes is probably a year away from having those major systems in place (realistically speaking), so don't you worry your pretty little self about performance just yet.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is literally one of the reasons why we are having a second testing period in APOC. Quoted from the Creative Director's letter:
    We can’t wait to hear your feedback on the updated performance, user interface, art iteration, and combat changes that you’ll see during this phase. We’ve learned a lot from our previous testing and we are using that knowledge to ensure smoother testing periods moving forward.

So yes, I'm sure they are aware of the performance issues which is why they are doing more testing in APOC. While I definitely understand your concerns I would wait until we have done the next APOC testing before voicing anymore concerns.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The game has not been released for Alpha testing. Please don't use the current 'gameplay' footage as a generic assumption the game will have a stutter.

Or do.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm perplexed why you asked a question and then asked us not to answer it with THE ANSWER to your question.

Since you won't accept 'the game is in development still" I'm going to go with aliens.

Aliens did it.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    TarlachTarlach Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    APOC ran well on my PC
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    karthos wrote: »
    I'm perplexed why you asked a question and then asked us not to answer it with THE ANSWER to your question.

Since you won't accept 'the game is in development still" I'm going to go with aliens.

Aliens did it.

I am also going to say Aliens and Tulnar
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'll go with Illuminati
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    I'll go with Order 322.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    willyfisch wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

The game still seems to run very stuttery (on all hardware) as seen in the latest gameplay video.
    I've timestamped some examples in a Youtube comment:
    Latest Youtube video with timestamps

I've also plotted a frametime chart during Apocalypse to highlight the issue:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesofCreation/comments/a7vxm4/can_we_talk_about_the_awful_performance_and/

I'm curious if Intrepid is aware of what is causing the issues as well as how and when they plan to fix them.

I could go on with this post on why this is extremely important to fix, why this type of bug is typically fixed in early development or not at all, why many games subconsciously feel bad to play because of issues like this, why some people seem to not notice it even though it seems to affect everyone, etc. but I'd like to keep it short and just get a technical answer to this.

The entire reason they took down what they had for the last 7 months is to work on this exact problem.

Wait until 20 August to judge it.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101