Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Sun, Moon & Stars (of Verra)

skafftarussskafftaruss Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
That is the formal name of the sun, moon or moons, and any noticeable body in the sky on Verra. I told my community college students that the Sun is just that, called the Sun; not SOL; the Earth not Terra, or the moon not luna - They are Hollywood Latin derivatives. So it's the Sun, Moon, and Earth. Outside of Verra - what are the major celestial bodies called? Are there two moons. What if the morning star really is a very close star called something? I'm not asking for a detailed description of the constellation, just the major bodies of the sky, their names, and what they mean. OR propose Stevan offers some suggestions to the Verran sky and conduct a poll. Better than fluffy cats and pugs. Best, Skaff.

Comments

• Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You could be my heavenly body Skrantonfus ;)
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Well the Sun is the name of our Star at the center of our solar system.. That said.. This type of lore might be uncovered during gameplay as we are just stepping thru the gate while arriving (character creation). I'm sure there are official names the the celestial bodies surrounding Vera. Not sure we will found out before we are actually in the game though.

Just my thoughts.. I may or may not be correct.. I hope I am though..
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    its Verra, Vuna and Vol

P.s terra is the name of the roman goddess for mother earth and not just Hollywood Latin derivatives.and sol is the god/goddess of the sun in both Norse and roman myth same with luna.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the point of your thread, it would interesting to understand what the inhabitants of Verra call the celestial bodies. Maybe what they call them now is not what they were actually called before the Apocalypse and we will find this out when we return.

Sun, Moon, Earth are all English words, which are Germanic based from Old English, Sunne, Mona, Eorthe.
    Sol, Luna, Terra are all Greek/Roman words, which are Latin based and they certainly predate Hollywood.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What you won't see is the community getting to name them for exactly the same reason that you won't get to name your nodes cept from an approved dropdown menu (confirmed).
    4f3c6e922805af62d543dbe01c918e0f.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    I'd live in Penisville or Dicktopia.

I draw a hard and firm line at Dongtown though.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    judging from info about Vek and also some concept art pieces; i feel stargazing will be a big part of the lore. and personally i would like to find out ingame by playing. its nice that Intrepid is not giving away to much lore and i hope it will stay that way till launch.
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    The real question is will there be eclipses in game?
  • Options
    Remember in Star Wars Galaxies where the stars were in front of the moon in the skybox, for years.. haha..
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    The names Sol, and Luna, and Terra predate Hollywood, and are actually names for our sun and moon; I do prefer our planet name of Earth.

I do like the idea that Verra will have it's own constellations and naming system, and the celestial signaling system you suggested. I wish stargazing was an ability/activity actively used within the game.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wonder is we will call it holy Verra as its the home of all life (in ashes) :wink:
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Every time I hear Verra, I can't help but think....

7b98c02b9a33749d2a08ca1284771607.jpg