Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Please don't put anachronistic items in the game

slowreflexslowreflex Member
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
anachronistic - belonging to a period other than that being portrayed.

I hope there won't be sunglasses, baseball caps, etc. It just really breaks the immersion for me. However, I'm less bothered about adaptations to Halloween, Christmas, and such (for holiday events, I don't mean I want a Santa Clause cosmetic).

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I will be the inventor of Ray-bans in Ashes, watch me closely ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This was always a gripe for me in Archeage. We had horse, sail driven ships and ... Cars.

Aq0KG2f.png
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Anachronistic, nice word something new I have learnt today :)
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well in some games there are inventor races who introduce items that aren't usually found during the medieval time period. If there is some reason for something to be in the game, then it's not anachronistic, because it is a made up world and they can have anything in it but hopefully there will be a "reason" attached to it.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    you will never take my steam!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Okay no killer steam-driven robots. Back to Iron Golems we go - now where did I put that Manual of Golems tome. . . .
    Nagash wrote: »

WU-1581.png
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    It's a place of unknown magic and science. Who's to say what could appear and I don't know anyone who wants to impede the imagination of the devs
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I hope they dont add such features. They are terrible
  • Like motorcycles in wow?
  • Makinoji wrote: »
    It's a place of unknown magic and science. Who's to say what could appear and I don't know anyone who wants to impede the imagination of the devs

They could go for the overdone By the Waters of Babylon trope, as it does kind of fit with the theme of civilization being destroyed and rising from the ashes. I wouldn't mind that as much I think
  • NoeSparksNoeSparks Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2019
    I agree. I didnt even know archage had cars till karthos said so. And they look horribly out of place. Glasses i would be ok with. But baseball caps and such things are a bit off imo aswell.

If we get a vehicle id like to see it be powered by magic and not resemble rl transportation vehicles. Like how in the movie atlantis they have flying fish. Would def fit more into a mmorpg than a car.

I guess sometimes there are goblin races who make mechanical things. But they gotta look like that stupid race made some jankety thing. Not some shiny ass car.
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think your hearts in the wrong place. I just think the team has good taste so far in what we've seen.

Some of the monsters were alien and maybe they're going to redesign the element of what corruption is, or maybe they won't, but I'm sure it'll serve the game.
    Damokles wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

WU-1581.png

You can mix high fantasy and steampunk really well

vZjqbfJ.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Viymir wrote: »
    Look up defenestration if you’re not familiar with that word. I use it as often as possible (which isn’t often).

Hhak63P.png
    Atama wrote: »
    Look up defenestration if you’re not familiar with that word. I use it as often as possible (which isn’t often).

I can see why
    nJ0vUSm.gif

I once googled: "rare english words that no one ever uses"
    I was not disappointed! xD
    - Kerfluffle
    - Hullaballoo
    - Ragamuffin
    - Gobbledygook
    - Poppycock
    - Lackadaisical
    - Lollygag
    - Flink
    - Aglet
    a6XEiIf.gif
    I guess if Intrepid are anachronistic with Ashes of Creation they will be defenestrating the game.

- Kerfluffle
    - Hullaballoo
    - Ragamuffin
    - Gobbledygook
    - Poppycock
    - Lackadaisical
    - Lollygag
    - Flink
    - Aglet

I use Kerfuffle (not Kerfluffle) and it is not uncommon word to hear used either. I would not go as far to call it rare for sure. Same with some of the other words. I think a lot depends on your local dialect in the UK. They are certainly words that are starting to disappear from the English vocabulary.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2019
    Hell, I had a rousing debate with someone about a month ago about kerfuffle (google ftw) in Discord. Every generation gets to an age where they bemoan the loss of familiar things, thing is, they rarely go away. Some do die a natural death over time. You use once, twice probably daily, but when was the last time you used thrice that you were not trying to make some vague point about language with.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

- Kerfluffle
    - Hullaballoo
    - Ragamuffin
    - Gobbledygook
    - Poppycock
    - Lackadaisical
    - Lollygag
    - Flink
    - Aglet

Alas, none of those words were new to me.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

old English in ashes please ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    T Elf wrote: »

- Kerfluffle
    - Hullaballoo
    - Ragamuffin
    - Gobbledygook
    - Poppycock
    - Lackadaisical
    - Lollygag
    - Flink
    - Aglet

Flink was new, so I looked it up and found out it’s not an English word, so it shouldn’t have been included.

I will admit that I only know what an aglet is because Phineas and Ferb devoted an episode to Aglet Awareness.

Other than that I don’t think of any of those words being rare.

Hhak63P.png
  • Atama wrote: »

I try to fit in "discombobulation" whenever I can.
    T Elf wrote: »

- Kerfluffle
    - Hullaballoo
    - Ragamuffin
    - Gobbledygook
    - Poppycock
    - Lackadaisical
    - Lollygag
    - Flink
    - Aglet

Flink was new, so I looked it up and found out it’s not an English word, so it shouldn’t have been included.

I will admit that I only know what an aglet is because Phineas and Ferb devoted an episode to Aglet Awareness.

Other than that I don’t think of any of those words being rare.

Flink is debatable tbh:

“Flink” is, however, found all over the internet, variously defined as “a group of twelve cows,” “at least twelve cows,” and so on. Obviously it’s not impossible for a word or usage to originate on the internet. But this isn’t “lolcat” or “spam,” and “flink” is widely presented as an established term on lists of collective animal nouns (“pod” of whales, “murder” of crows, etc.). Something is fishy.

Poking around on the trail of “flink,” I came upon what may be the explanation for its apparently sudden appearance sometime around 2002. In an article in one of the behind-the-scenes parts of Wikipedia, a user suggests that “flink” might be a fanciful invention based on the “cow” of that “cowardly” in the OED definition, and that, furthermore, “flink” might actually be a “mountweazel” that has, so to speak, escaped into the wild.
    a6XEiIf.gif