Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tidebreaker as a mount

mozsta69mozsta69 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
As I was watching the video of essentially what is a otter enlarged trying to run, maybe even run long distance through mountainous tracks, or deserts my logical engineering side suddenly showed itself with ...' Hey that animal has not evolved to traverse distances over different terrains with its stumpy legs ....why the hell would anyone use these as mounts???

My point being im ok with fantastical mounts. But when the creature is essentially taken directly from a earth creature that does not traverse any great distances it doesn't make sense to me both physically and visually. I can see the tidebreaker being used in water not a problem cause that's what a otter body has been streamlined for don't get me wrong, but hey this could all be just a limitation with my thinking lol. Its just a thought, have a great day

Comments

• WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    the news post says:

'Though the Tidebreaker cannot traverse a singularly wide stretch of land as a horse might, the Tidebreaker is nevertheless swift, and can pass through marshes and bodies of water far more efficiently than a horse.'

to my understanding this means that its a different mount category then a horse.

also just a theory but if you look at the video names of the animations on the right side it says stuff like jump/backpadel/turnright etc. nothing like dive/swim or anything that suggests its a underwater mount. now they might add this later but i feel like there will be different mounts and even terrains could be divided by 'marshes' or swamp-like water. maybe snow or sand ?
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Intrepid states that there will be mounts for different terrains.
    They also stated that the tidebreaker will be most effective in coastal arreas or swamps.
    It is the same thing as: you would not take a horse into the mountains or a tundra if you could avoid it.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Makes me wonder what kind of animals will be mounts for swamps and coastal areas that aren't the Tidebreaker skin.
    Ravudha wrote: »
    Makes me wonder what kind of animals will be mounts for swamps and coastal areas that aren't the Tidebreaker skin.

Maybe crabs, or amphibians like crocodiles or frogs. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    Makes me wonder what kind of animals will be mounts for swamps and coastal areas that aren't the Tidebreaker skin.

or a GIANT SPIDER!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »

or a GIANT SPIDER!

Rather a water skipper. ;)
    A spider would be a nkce mount for a jungle or forrest though xD
    a6XEiIf.gif

or a GIANT SPIDER!

Rather a water skipper. ;)
    A spider would be a nkce mount for a jungle or forrest though xD

why must you ruin my fun
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • mozsta69mozsta69 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They also stated that the tidebreaker will be most effective in coastal arreas or swamps.
    It is the same thing as: you would not take a horse into the mountains or a tundra if you could avoid it.

Well addresses my concern right there thanks ! Wow different mounts for different terrain is next level.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Different mounts for different conditions would make sense and feed well into the animal husbandry profession. Aquatic, desert, swamps, lakes, arctic, tundra, forested, hills, mountains all could have mounts that are better suited for each type. Not to mention pack animals to go along with this, will be very interesting to see how Intrepid bring diversity to the question of mounts/pack animals. Not to mention creatures to pull those wagons we will need to transport our goods from place to place.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • I agree, now I'm really hoping they do something like this! I haven't seen it in any other game I've played, having mounts suitable for different terrains will add a whole extra level to mounts! It would be really cool and you could have lots of diversity in mounts and a need to have certain kinds depending on where you go!
    Poko.png
  • The tundra giraffe...
    I wonder if this would affect gliding mounts
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• NarysNarys Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yatas! They can traverse anything...even gravity....(with an ability cooldown sadly)...gravity always wins
    wtmb2cxjbyas.gif
    Narys wrote: »
    Yatas! They can traverse anything...even gravity....(with an ability cooldown sadly)...gravity always wins

I now want a old one mount
    nJ0vUSm.gif

Passively drive everyone in an 15m radius insane.
    a6XEiIf.gif

is that in miles or meters ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

I am a civilised person, what do you think? XD
    a6XEiIf.gif

I am a civilised person, what do you think? XD

glad to hear
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Yogsoloth is no ones mount...
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think I like guildwars' like inspiration for mounts with unique abilities and albion online's stance of different stat line ups for mounts.
    OrcLuck wrote: »
    I think I like guildwars' like inspiration for mounts with unique abilities and albion online's stance of different stat line ups for mounts.

the rabbit mount was adorable
    nJ0vUSm.gif