[Poll] Freedom to Change Gender, Race and Primary Class & Should Joining a Guild be Account-bound?

TsukasaTsukasa Member
edited September 23 in General Discussion
Hello,
I am strongly against forcing the players to create secondary or alt characters.

Decisions should matter, yes! However, they should NOT be permanent! There has to be very serious consequences(price, time limit[months], lore reset/reborn...) in order to make a change, instead.

I want to dedicate my life for the one character that I will be role-playing. I want to be known with one name!
The cosmetics sometimes look better on another gender or race. It would be a waste to not use them when they don't meet our expectation. We are supposed to have fun, not play while holding regret over not making the ideal decisions on our main characters. "Ideal" is not a constant variable. People's preferences continually change and new cosmetics come every month.

VOTE HERE
Primary Class:
https://strawpoll.com/4srx7de9
Gender:
https://strawpoll.com/y254sfek
Race:
https://strawpoll.com/pbzzb2sc

## Should Joining a Guild be Character-bound or Account-bound? ##

No guild leader appreciate inactive members! This is a nonnegotiable fact. Why don't choices matter here?

My suggestion is that joining a guild should be account-bound, which means all characters of one account join the guild as one member!

Imagine wanting to join in for guild quests or raid with another character, but the character isn't in the guild. Very inconvenience!!!

Account-bound system provides both active, friendly environment and organized members management.

VOTE HERE
https://strawpoll.com/5s5ea649
Not my real account. I'm a coward who doesn't have neither personality nor a name
Hiding until I find my true self that I can be proud of
«134

Comments

  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Leader of Men
    They said in the past that costumes and such won't be gender locked. Want to put your burly orc warrior in a wedding dress or the royalty gown? Go for it.

    Primary class is locked. Secondary can be changed through a time-consuming process yet to be outlined. Why? Besides the choices have consequences argument it is a sub-based mmo. Things that are time sinks that keep you playing like having to level up another archetype helps them keep asses in the seats paying month to month.

    Players will not be account locked to a guild. There are many reasons for it. One that they have mentioned is people being able to infiltrate competing guilds to "spy." They have never said that guild affiliation will affect grouping dynamics. Want your alt to raid with your "main" guild? Go for it. The current flagging lockouts of friends list, group, guild, and alliance should take care of that issue nicely.

    If you are looking for an Asian mmo like FF14 that lets you change gender, race, class on the fly due to some potion or mirror and lets you master every crafting profession you are going to be sorely disappointed here.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • TsukasaTsukasa Member
    edited September 23
    They said in the past that costumes and such won't be gender locked. Want to put your burly orc warrior in a wedding dress or the royalty gown? Go for it.

    Primary class is locked. Secondary can be changed through a time-consuming process yet to be outlined. Why? Besides the choices have consequences argument it is a sub-based mmo. Things that are time sinks that keep you playing like having to level up another archetype helps them keep asses in the seats paying month to month.

    I already know all that. I am suggesting a change.

    By "gender swap" I was referring to the character's appearance alone, changing its gender via a cash-shop purchase.
    _____________________

    I don't understand the second part of your post. Isn't preventing alts from joining the guild the best way to prevent spying?
    And joining a raid with an alt character could be just for class need.
    Not my real account. I'm a coward who doesn't have neither personality nor a name
    Hiding until I find my true self that I can be proud of
  • DamoklesDamokles Member
    edited September 23
    Being able to change primary classes? Hell no...
    Well, if they did do something like that then only in the first five levels, so everyone is able to try them out at first.

    Hard NO to everything else though... it makes no sense to just be able to switch your race or gender...
    KkvMmA5.png
  • Changing a character’s visual appearance in minor ways seems fine, I suppose even the character’s gender though major changes like that should be far more time consuming and costly than a trip to the barber shop to change your character’s hair color.

    To the rest, no. Intrepid has made it very clear they expect people to think about their choices before making them. Primarily class and character race have direct effects on gameplay, of course they should be permanent. Guild have never been permanent, which is sensible since guilds are meant to have some espionage involved.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    While I do agree with you on a personal level that we should have just one character and changes to that must require a lot of work, but from a gameplay standpoint, I do find it had to back anything that would limit people from playing the game their way. after all that is the joy of an MMORPG
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • As expected. Most of the comments are going to be "I disagree because Intrepid said so".
    Not my real account. I'm a coward who doesn't have neither personality nor a name
    Hiding until I find my true self that I can be proud of
  • Tsukasa wrote: »
    As expected. Most of the comments are going to be "I disagree because Intrepid said so".

    Or maybe people actually enjoy the idea of having some form of consequence to their choices. An MMO being wishy washy, “Nothing you pick matters!” is unappealing to me personally.

    Besides, your whole argument in the OP boils down to “I hate alts”. Nothing that actually presents an overarching issue that would be solved by freedom to chance class and race (MAJOR gameplay altering features) freely.
  • TsukasaTsukasa Member
    edited September 23
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    As expected. Most of the comments are going to be "I disagree because Intrepid said so".

    Or maybe people actually enjoy the idea of having some form of consequence to their choices. An MMO being wishy washy, “Nothing you pick matters!” is unappealing to me personally.

    Besides, your whole argument in the OP boils down to “I hate alts”. Nothing that actually presents an overarching issue that would be solved by freedom to chance class and race (MAJOR gameplay altering features) freely.

    I asked for "very serious consequences" that isn't becoming a permanent choice.
    I don't mind being limited to change my primary class once every 3-6 months, just not permanent please.
    Not my real account. I'm a coward who doesn't have neither personality nor a name
    Hiding until I find my true self that I can be proud of
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    As expected. Most of the comments are going to be "I disagree because Intrepid said so".

    I'm more against limiting players, but Im a RP player at heart so I understand what you mean but RPGs are meant to be about freedom ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Tsukasa wrote: »
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    As expected. Most of the comments are going to be "I disagree because Intrepid said so".

    Or maybe people actually enjoy the idea of having some form of consequence to their choices. An MMO being wishy washy, “Nothing you pick matters!” is unappealing to me personally.

    Besides, your whole argument in the OP boils down to “I hate alts”. Nothing that actually presents an overarching issue that would be solved by freedom to chance class and race (MAJOR gameplay altering features) freely.

    I asked for "very serious consequences" that isn't becoming a permanent choice.
    I don't mind being limited to change my primary class once every 3-6 months, just not permanent please.

    If it isn’t permanent, even if you have to wait a while, or pay a bit to switch it, it loses its meaning.

    The only compromise to be found here when you want something so important to gameplay to be impermanent is to have a change in primary class reset the character to zero in every way.
  • BraneGamesBraneGames Member, Braver of Worlds
    edited September 23
    I'm all for the character appearance change. I do however not like the ability to change classes with just the press of a button. Yeah it sucks that you have to make an entirely new character if you wanna play a new class, but it also makes a lot of sense imo. Being able to just switch classes without the need of an extensive questline or the creation of a new character would quite frankly hurt the social aspect of the game quite a bit. You would no longer be in need of finding an experienced tank to deal with mobs that deal heavy damage, cause you can just switch your class. Plus I think there is prestige in taking the time to dedicate yourself to one character and class, and becoming the best at it.

    EDIT
    Also: Different races will have different stats, so you shouldn't be able to change that either imo. Gender however, I don't mind.
  • BraneGamesBraneGames Member, Braver of Worlds
    I also think the idea of being able to buy a classchange is borderline p2w
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    BraneGames wrote: »
    I also think the idea of being able to buy a classchange is borderline p2w

    it would also kill the meta for the game as everyone who cares would pick that class
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • BraneGamesBraneGames Member, Braver of Worlds
    Nagash wrote: »
    BraneGames wrote: »
    I also think the idea of being able to buy a classchange is borderline p2w

    it would also kill the meta for the game as everyone who cares would pick that class

    "Ah mage sucks now? Better switch."
    "SEC GUYS I JUST NEED TO PURCHASE SOMETHING FROM THE STORE"
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    BraneGames wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    BraneGames wrote: »
    I also think the idea of being able to buy a classchange is borderline p2w

    it would also kill the meta for the game as everyone who cares would pick that class

    "Ah mage sucks now? Better switch."
    "SEC GUYS I JUST NEED TO PURCHASE SOMETHING FROM THE STORE"

    its sad but people would do that
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Caeryl wrote: »
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    As expected. Most of the comments are going to be "I disagree because Intrepid said so".

    Or maybe people actually enjoy the idea of having some form of consequence to their choices. An MMO being wishy washy, “Nothing you pick matters!” is unappealing to me personally.

    Besides, your whole argument in the OP boils down to “I hate alts”. Nothing that actually presents an overarching issue that would be solved by freedom to chance class and race (MAJOR gameplay altering features) freely.

    I asked for "very serious consequences" that isn't becoming a permanent choice.
    I don't mind being limited to change my primary class once every 3-6 months, just not permanent please.

    If it isn’t permanent, even if you have to wait a while, or pay a bit to switch it, it loses its meaning.

    The only compromise to be found here when you want something so important to gameplay to be impermanent is to have a change in primary class reset the character to zero in every way.

    Meaning? It loses its meaning the moment we decide to create an alt when we are done with our mains.
    Having to wait for months and pay an expensive price is more meaningful
    Not my real account. I'm a coward who doesn't have neither personality nor a name
    Hiding until I find my true self that I can be proud of
  • TsukasaTsukasa Member
    edited September 23
    BraneGames wrote: »
    I also think the idea of being able to buy a classchange is borderline p2w

    By "pay" I did NOT mean with real money, of course!
    Not my real account. I'm a coward who doesn't have neither personality nor a name
    Hiding until I find my true self that I can be proud of
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds
    I would be okay with gender change. I don't even think that should require anything more than a run to the barber. It's just a skin swap at that point.

    That said will Players be able to turn on/off other skins? (Like the angle/demon)
    I know they will only apply to one character at a time so it makes sense you could turn them on/off. So gender wouldnt bother me.

    Primary class. I think the switch should reset the character to 0 and remove secondary classes. Augments, like from religion, should stick imo.

    However, if the process is timely enough to discourage this happening multiple times a year, I'm down.

    Guild lock seems silly imo. My rogue will not necessarily want to be in the same guild as my primary crafter. Why not be able to choose a guild that focuses on your character's interest based on that character?

    How does not doing that negatively effect the game?

    As for racial locking, that seems necessary to me. Especially when nodes will take on the appearance of the majority race when leveling. "Everybody be an elf so we can have the only Elf looking node" seems plausible.

    There are many other reasons just in general too, including racial augments.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • TsukasaTsukasa Member
    edited September 23
    Nagash wrote: »
    BraneGames wrote: »
    I also think the idea of being able to buy a classchange is borderline p2w

    it would also kill the meta for the game as everyone who cares would pick that class

    I thought about that, but then there is also "best secondary class for X primary class" that they will have to worry about. Bringing this up now is a bad excuse imo.

    With a "wait 3-6 months to change primary" system. People will be lazy to create alts in the first place, or be scared that the META gets nerfed after they change primary class on main.

    The META becomes less abusive than "PvP? I will switch to This character" "This class is OP. Time to main This character". What a mess.
    Not my real account. I'm a coward who doesn't have neither personality nor a name
    Hiding until I find my true self that I can be proud of
  • Tsukasa wrote: »
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    As expected. Most of the comments are going to be "I disagree because Intrepid said so".

    Or maybe people actually enjoy the idea of having some form of consequence to their choices. An MMO being wishy washy, “Nothing you pick matters!” is unappealing to me personally.

    Besides, your whole argument in the OP boils down to “I hate alts”. Nothing that actually presents an overarching issue that would be solved by freedom to chance class and race (MAJOR gameplay altering features) freely.

    I asked for "very serious consequences" that isn't becoming a permanent choice.
    I don't mind being limited to change my primary class once every 3-6 months, just not permanent please.

    If it isn’t permanent, even if you have to wait a while, or pay a bit to switch it, it loses its meaning.

    The only compromise to be found here when you want something so important to gameplay to be impermanent is to have a change in primary class reset the character to zero in every way.

    Meaning? It loses its meaning the moment we decide to create an alt when we are done with our mains.
    Having to wait for months and pay an expensive price is more meaningful

    That’s stupid. A hobby doesn’t lose meaning when you pick up another one.

    It is not more meaningful just because you waited some time. You just have an aversion to making more than one character. The effort and time spent leveling and advancing a character do not transfer when making a new one.

    As I said before, unless you’re willing to wipe your entire character to zero to avoid making a new one, then what you’re asking for is consequence-free choices. “Waiting a few months” is hardly a significant consequence when it would take at least as long to match a new character to the stats of your first one.

    Can a new character replicate all the crafting knowledge of your other ones? No. Then a class changed character should retain no knowledge either.

    Could a new character have full advancement in their religion? No. Then a class changed one should start from scratch too.
  • TsukasaTsukasa Member
    edited September 23
    Caeryl wrote: »

    Can a new character replicate all the crafting knowledge of your other ones? No. Then a class changed character should retain no knowledge either.

    Could a new character have full advancement in their religion? No. Then a class changed one should start from scratch too.

    And would you enjoy throwing legendary crafting scrolls into an alt character? and possibly miss a cool title.
    Or repeating everything? I refuse to do that even if it takes few weeks.
    Very discouraging.
    Not my real account. I'm a coward who doesn't have neither personality nor a name
    Hiding until I find my true self that I can be proud of
  • Tsukasa wrote: »
    As expected. Most of the comments are going to be "I disagree because Intrepid said so".

    This has nothing to do anything with Intrepid for me....
    I just believe that the whole character creation would be for nothing then, we could as well just play amourphous blobs that can randomly change their apearance if they dont like their old one.
    I want my character to be recognizable by my other community members, not be some kind of racial and genderless chameleon....
    KkvMmA5.png
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Braver of Worlds
    I want the ability the change appearance and i'm cool with gender swapping but prefer nothing else.
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    Caeryl wrote: »

    Can a new character replicate all the crafting knowledge of your other ones? No. Then a class changed character should retain no knowledge either.

    Could a new character have full advancement in their religion? No. Then a class changed one should start from scratch too.

    And would you enjoy throwing in legendary crafting scrolls on an alt character? You could miss a cool title.
    Or repeating everything?

    Why would you level the same professions on an alt? If you really did decide to level a new character, wouldn't it make more sense to level different professions so you have more options?
  • TsukasaTsukasa Member
    edited September 23

    Why would you level the same professions on an alt? If you really did decide to level a new character, wouldn't it make more sense to level different professions so you have more options?

    I thought characters can have every profession anyway, but only master one. Correct?
    In that case, when we need to craft an item that requires master level, we either ask/hire a player to craft for us or create an alt with minimum effort on everything except one profession, if possible.
    Not my real account. I'm a coward who doesn't have neither personality nor a name
    Hiding until I find my true self that I can be proud of
  • Tsukasa wrote: »
    Caeryl wrote: »

    Can a new character replicate all the crafting knowledge of your other ones? No. Then a class changed character should retain no knowledge either.

    Could a new character have full advancement in their religion? No. Then a class changed one should start from scratch too.

    And would you enjoy throwing legendary crafting scrolls into an alt character? You could miss a cool title.
    Or repeating everything? I refuse to do that even if it takes few weeks.

    And here is the crux of it. You want this for convenience. You’re not meant to do everything on one character, and you fundamentally dislike the approach this game will be taking
  • Tsukasa wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    BraneGames wrote: »
    I also think the idea of being able to buy a classchange is borderline p2w

    it would also kill the meta for the game as everyone who cares would pick that class

    I thought about that, but then there is also "best secondary class for X primary class" that they will have to worry about. Bringing this up now is a bad excuse imo.

    With a "wait 3-6 months to change primary" system. People will be lazy to create alts in the first place, or be scared that the META gets nerfed after they change primary class on main.

    The META becomes less abusive than "PvP? I will switch to This character" "This class is OP. Time to main This character". What a mess.

    There is a simple thing you can do to get around meta:
    GIT GUD.

    I ran a combat rogue from Vanilla WoW until BfA in high end PvE content (mythic dungeons+ and mythic raids) and was top 3 dps all the time. How you ask? I played the best way possible, i made my own builts and trained them until i had the dps rotation down as muscle memory.

    Do you know why even ACTIVISION does not allow class changes? Not even in their shop? It is because that would take any effort from you. Shure, you would have to grind the gear again, but that is done in a few weeks with help of you friends.

    The "best secondary class for X primary class" reasoning is also pretty weak tbh. I plan to run a full dps specced bard built with heavy utility, it always depends on what you bring to the table. (Soul Weaver or Siren ftw btw).

    And also: It would be easier and more time efficient to just grind out a new max level character in around 3 months then to wait for a 6 month timeperiod so you can just switch on you main character.
    I dont like alting either, but I love to create their own little personalities, as if they are all members of my houshold.
    Damocles is my clanhead, he creates the armours, trinkets, weapons and knows the lore of vera (explorer/questmaniac).
    Damokles is the clan enforcer, he raids the tombs of forgotten kings and brings them back so that Damocles can make him some new weapons and armour, he specializes also in gathering.
    Damoclides is the clan shaman, he produces potions and other nifty support gear for the other two, he looks over the finances and manages the freehold.
    KkvMmA5.png
  • Tsukasa wrote: »
    Caeryl wrote: »

    Can a new character replicate all the crafting knowledge of your other ones? No. Then a class changed character should retain no knowledge either.

    Could a new character have full advancement in their religion? No. Then a class changed one should start from scratch too.

    And would you enjoy throwing legendary crafting scrolls into an alt character? and possibly miss a cool title.
    Or repeating everything? I refuse to do that even if it takes few weeks.
    Very discouraging.

    Do you knos why the mount market in wow crashed? It was because they made all mounts account bound. That ruined farmers and crafters, who depended on those sales.
    KkvMmA5.png
  • TsukasaTsukasa Member
    edited September 23
    Caeryl wrote: »
    And here is the crux of it. You want this for convenience. You’re not meant to do everything on one character, and you fundamentally dislike the approach this game will be taking

    For changing primary class(not crafting, don't change the topic).
    I'm a asking for any consequence that is MORE punishable than having to create an alt.


    How is that more convenience? :|
    Not my real account. I'm a coward who doesn't have neither personality nor a name
    Hiding until I find my true self that I can be proud of
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Braver of Worlds
    edited September 23
    Tsukasa wrote: »

    Why would you level the same professions on an alt? If you really did decide to level a new character, wouldn't it make more sense to level different professions so you have more options?

    I thought characters can have every profession anyway, but only master one. Correct?
    In that case, when we need to craft an item that requires master level, we either ask/hire a player to craft for us or create an alt with minimum effort on everything except one profession, if possible.

    I think i miss interpreted your original argument so i'll change it, why are you earning a legendary recipe for a profession that you aren't the master of?

    Are you taking it from the other crafters in your group? Seems kind of greedy.

    If you find something legendary that you can't use, why not find a friend or guildy to give it to?

    Does everything that drops need to be useful to your character?

    ...Don't tell me you want the ability to change class so you can ninja an epic item that is good for another class, switch, and use it for yourself?
  • TsukasaTsukasa Member
    edited September 23
    Tsukasa wrote: »

    Why would you level the same professions on an alt? If you really did decide to level a new character, wouldn't it make more sense to level different professions so you have more options?

    I thought characters can have every profession anyway, but only master one. Correct?
    In that case, when we need to craft an item that requires master level, we either ask/hire a player to craft for us or create an alt with minimum effort on everything except one profession, if possible.

    I think i miss interpreted your original argument so i'll change it, why are you earning a legendary recipe for a profession that you aren't the master of?

    Are you taking it from the other crafters in your group? Seems kind of greedy.

    If you find something legendary that you can't use, why not find a friend or guildy to give it to?

    Does everything that drops need to be useful to your character?

    ...Don't tell me you want to ability to change class so you can ninja an epic item that is good for another class, switch, and use it for yourself?

    If In a random group, there is no reason not to greed.

    If the item is tradable, people will also want to greed.

    If not useful for the character, tradable or not. I expect the dice system to prioritize by adding more points to the needy based on class or locket party settings(other MMOs did it).
    You could use the argument "All classes can use any weapon" but they won't make the same value out of them.
    Not my real account. I'm a coward who doesn't have neither personality nor a name
    Hiding until I find my true self that I can be proud of
Sign In or Register to comment.