Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear

Should all classes / archetypes be able to use any gear? in my opinion only certain archetypes such as fighter and tank should be allowed to wear plate. Clerics and rangers should be able to wear mail. And all others are leather and cloth. Now when subbing into any other archetype you should be able to make a choice of using the others gear. Just wanted to know where everyone else stands, love you guys! Keep the community great!!!

Comments

• Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Based on 'reality', yes, everyone should be able to wear whatever they want.

Doesn't mean that a mage in plate will work well. First, they probably won't have skill for it, so will not get the most benefit. Second, plate may have negative impacts on casting skills. Not to mention the weight issues....

Everyone can wear what they want, but certain archetypes would have proficiency in certain types of armour.
  • Options
    I’m in favor of “allow anything, but encourage specifics”
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Since the issue has already been decided by them is this just for informational opinions? My opinion is that they wanted people to have flexibility and until we see how much of an impact equipping "off brand" weapons or gear is of a hit to stats is not worth worrying about. Since full costumes will be a thing, the visual indicators of gear that some people use to decide whether to attack someone in OWPVP will be mitigated. Less chance you are going to gank that wandering merchant for shits and giggles after you loose that arrow and hear it plink off of the plate under the casual rags glamour.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Yes every class should be able to use every gear.

That doesn't mean its going to be great gear for your class unless you invest serious time into it.

Mage in heavy armor may not work, unless you have the social organization dials to put Int and Magic Attack on Heavy Armor that normally doesn't have those stats

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As far as we know, some classes have special synergies with specific armour types.
    But we also know that every class will be able to wear every type of armour.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    BluehBlueh Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I kinda like the idea of everyone wearing what they want. like plate healer or dodge tank in cloth/leather.
  • Options
    Mage\Tanks with heavy amor !
    signature.png
  • Options
    The best way for me to allow every to wear full plat gear , would be a weight cap base on the class and subclass and the % you us of it slow you down.

Let's say a a full plat gear is 100
    Mage class give 50 , tank 100 and the others some between 50 and 100
    So a archwizard will have 50+50 and be very slow with a full plat .
    But a guardian 100+100 will be very comfortable in that gear.

That way a spellstone 50+100 can wear the plat but will be less comfortable than a guardian or can be as comfortable as a guardian but need to wear 6 out of 8 pieces of plat gear.
  • Options
    I like the idea of not being limited, if someone like a mage wants to wear full plate go ahead! It may not be optimal but it gives more creative room and freedom !
    Poko.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Poko wrote: »
    I like the idea of not being limited, if someone like a mage wants to wear full plate go ahead! It may not be optimal but it gives more creative room and freedom !

I am just imagining a Spellstone, slowly marching across a field, fully decked out in plate armour and flinging spells left, right and center xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    Poko wrote: »

I am just imagining a Spellstone, slowly marching across a field, fully decked out in plate armour and flinging spells left, right and center xD

IKR?! We have to have that ! lmao it sounds too good !! I can just imagine a huge tough warrior in some thin cloth robes charging into battle lol
    Poko.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    I like the idea that anyone can use any gear but not without consequences (both good and bad). That maybe a Tank/Fighter in plate armor plays differently than a Tank/Fighter in leather armor. For example, maybe the leather protects you less but you move faster in it. It would allow you to get further gameplay variety by having another aspect of your build to customize.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    I like the idea that anyone can use any gear but not without consequences (both good and bad). That maybe a Tank/Fighter in plate armor plays differently than a Tank/Fighter in leather armor. For example, maybe the leather protects you less but you move faster in it. It would allow you to get further gameplay variety by having another aspect of your build to customize.

Basically true tank, vs dodge tank.

I think it could be a good idea to allow different types of playstile depending on the gear you use.

For example, in dungeons and dragons clerics used to wear plate armor.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah, we will have to see if that plate armor actually mitigates more damage than the Mage's Cloth Armor ability.

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    Dygz wrote: »
    Yeah, we will have to see if that plate armor actually mitigates more damage than the Mage's Cloth Armor ability.

I hope it makes it harder for swords to hurt you but fire and lighting do more damage
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    My opinion is that Ashes absolutely SHOULD have gear.
  • Options
    subssubs Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I really hate where MMOs have gone that allow mages to wear plate. kind of takes the lore out of the game. wear they can respec from mage to become off tank and respec again and heal. let the class be the the class. allow people to create another character if they want to play another class. to much instant gratification these days . everyone wants to be max level raiding in 3 days and be able to change classes on the fly. I think leveling and doing dungeons as you level allows you to master said class. which makes the game play better for end game
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited October 2019
    Caeryl wrote: »
    I’m in favor of “allow anything, but encourage specifics”

I like this.
    Every class should wear what they want but all armor should have pros and cons.
    Everyone would pick plate armor unless it also has drawbacks.

I would love seeing the archetype of battle mage with plate, but I don't want to see every class picking plate just because it has higher numbers on defense.

There a reason why the divine trinity of heal/mage, dps and tank is so appealing.
    People will likely pick what's safe and would only pick ranged dps with sustain and tank armor if they could.

Squishiness is the balance for being ranged, if people can wear plate armor then you need to balance it with other thing.

Maybe weight or less mana regeneration. I like armor presented as having less magic affinities and like a sort of electrical tape. Magic gets absorved from the surroundings and transformed by the mage right? Steel might prevent the caster from tunning in with the magic around him.
    Gimlog wrote: »
    The best way for me to allow every to wear full plat gear , would be a weight cap base on the class and subclass and the % you us of it slow you down.

Let's say a a full plat gear is 100
    Mage class give 50 , tank 100 and the others some between 50 and 100
    So a archwizard will have 50+50 and be very slow with a full plat .
    But a guardian 100+100 will be very comfortable in that gear.

That way a spellstone 50+100 can wear the plat but will be less comfortable than a guardian or can be as comfortable as a guardian but need to wear 6 out of 8 pieces of plat gear.

This sounds cool.
  • Options
    My main appeal when it comes to gear mechanics is theory crafting. Allowing all classes to wear every armor weight enhances that. I think ESO had a pretty good outlook on it. Multiple passives unlocked and some negative effect per peice of each weight of armor worn with extra passives unlocked the more you wear.

Im also curious what kind of set bonuses will be available. Some ppl do not like proc sets and set bonuses etc becausf it makes the game more complicated. But for me it adds to theory crafting and variety of combat. I dont want to know exactly what every combatant is going to do just because they are using a specific weapon or wearing a certain weight of gear.