Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Challenges with the crafting ecosystem

2»

Comments

• Options
    MuroMuro Member
    midgard wrote: »
    Muro wrote: »
    Rather than just rub their hands together after having materials in the bags and instantly creating an item I want crafting to be a bit longer process for the character. I want there to be stages in making gear and on each stage you could do things a little bit differently than other players. I'd like crafting recipes to only give a basic advice on how to make a piece of equipment so people would have to do a lot of experimenting on their own to get the best results. Also crafting a legendary should have high risk so that players and guilds will seek out the top crafters to do them.
    I'm also interested in your crafting guild.

yes the experiments will be fun for like 1 or 2 months and then we all just look up wikki to make the "best" one .
    example :
    its great if you can have studded leather whith iron or copper or silver or bone or watever other material you can find studs .
    but once thy are all made and you check thyr stats you will have 1 come out as the "best" and all will make those .
    baring of cource fashion choice becous the leather ( black panther skin ) armor whith bone studs just looks so cool .

olso please no minigames while crafting .
    i do not want to lose most of my crafting supplies becous i am bad at DDR games .

After revisiting my old comment I have some new ideas. What if experimenting will stay relevant and there would be no wiki info on the "best" one. If keeping certain ways to craft a secret is incentivized for players by giving extra crafting experience based on if other players have used it before or maybe titles if you're the first to make x amount of gear with the method. Same with experimenting new ways to craft. If you discover a new method you gain more experience or a title or a progression towards a title like Master Craftsman or something. I feel like these ideas could work. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for making this thread, @Marzzo. I have been somewhat beside myself thinking about how simple and boring the gathering looked in the Alpha Preview. But I didn't want to make a post on it, because I know a lot of people like that extremely basic, "relaxing" type of gameplay, and of course things could change a lot during the alphas and betas. So I thought maybe I was getting worked up over nothing. It's nice to hear that a few people share my concerns.

To me, the main issue is that, from what we've seen/heard so far, Intrepid has no plans to improve upon the basic gathering/crafting gameplay we've seen in most other MMOs (clicking on things and waiting for bars to fill up, 100 times over). The only facet of crafting/gathering that they are innovating on is the overall economy: trying to make every part of the MMO depend on each other (gathering, crafting, gear progression, loot drops from mobs, node progression).

We have little quotes and tidbits for every other aspect of the game, and even for crafting we've heard some stuff about the progression of artisan classes and the ability to tweak different crafting recipes. But we've heard absolutely nothing about the core gameplay of crafting and gathering. What do these activities actually require us to do?

There are so many ways that these systems could be made more interesting (many good suggestions in this thread), but until we hear more about, I'm just assuming that it will be the same, old process:

Gathering = Look at map, go to gathering location, click on gathering node, wait for character to swing their gathering tool 3 times, repeat 50 times.
    Crafting = Look at recipe, buy/gather materials, go to crafting station, (maybe choose some additional stats to tweak the result), press button to initiate craft, wait for bar to fill up.
    For either activity, throw a little bit of RNG into the results for excitement, I guess.

So yeah, for all the monthly Q&A sessions, from now until we hear more about it, I'm gonna be pestering Intrepid about the gathering system. (I'm slightly more concerned about gathering than crafting, so I'll let someone else ask about crafting.)

BTW, my standard of evaluation is Minecraft. If AoC's gathering system is so boring that I'd prefer to go back to Minecraft and gather iron ore for the 20th time, then Intrepid has failed in this particular area.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    I have few concerns related to economy:

The planned system is really restrictive where character can focus only on one or few things especially if you want to be a master gatherer, processor or crafter. So my personal expectations are not high and I predict overall quite monotonous system because of that. Those who like to deal with professions now and then the planned system can be okay I guess, but those who want to focus on different lifeskills will face a quite narrow content for their main activity.

How to make gathering, processing and crafting equally viable and profitable? On paper processing looks a great choise, you just buy already gathered resources, process those and sell the processed resouces for profit. Gathering is usually quite solid income and only downside is that it can be time consuming. Crafting can be in bad position, because it might turn to be hard to sell your stuff especially if you do not have much variations what to craft.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2020
    leonerdo wrote: »
    So yeah, for all the monthly Q&A sessions, from now until we hear more about it, I'm gonna be pestering Intrepid about the gathering system. (I'm slightly more concerned about gathering than crafting, so I'll let someone else ask about crafting.)
    This is a solid idea.

---

My thoughts on the whole thing can be summed up fairly simply; if you don't like banging on rocks, don't bang on rocks.

Ashes is a game about community, about working together. This applies to all aspects of the game, not just combat.

In the same way it is easy to say "if you want a game where you cal solo the content, go play ***", the same can be applied to crafting in Ashes. If you want a game where you can do it all in terms of crafting, there are a plethora of other games out there that allow you to do exactly that - may be one of them is better suited to a player that considers being able to craft all the things to be the most important factor in an MMO to them.

Now, some people do love the mindless gameplay involved in just banging on rocks, and you know what? I think you and I should leave them to that. They enjoy it, we don't, that's cool - that is how a game that is based around everyone working together should be.
    Crafting = Look at recipe, buy/gather materials, go to crafting station, (maybe choose some additional stats to tweak the result), press button to initiate craft, wait for bar to fill up.
    This is the part where I personally think you are underestimating things a little.

First of all, unless you are in an economic metropolis, the chances of you finding all the materials you need to craft an item are slim - almost non-existent. Even in an economic metropolis, if you find the materials up for sale, chances are you then have to go to the node they are being sold at to collect them. If these are raw materials, chances are, you will need to transport them back to your node via caravan (caravans are - essentially - as much a part of the crafting system as they are a part of the node, quest and PvP systems). It may even be that you are best served carrying intermediate materials via caravan as well, not just raw (a good question for you to ask in a Q&A perhaps).

On top of all of this, there are components that are only available via mob drop, and even specific to boss kills. You may even need to have these mob/boss dropped raw materials processed in to intermediary components by another crafting class - though that is speculation.

So really, that new sword you want to craft, the process of crafting it involves gathering raw materials from potentially a dozen or more nodes, protecting it via caravan (one from each origin node) to be processed in to intermediate components - which is a process that may itself involve materials from a dozen or more nodes, all transformed in to intermediary items. From there, those new intermediaries need to then be transported once again to the node where assembly of the final item will take place (which may or may not be the node where processing was done, but if buying on the open market, one can't automatically assume that will be the case).

Once in possession of the crafter that is to make that sword, it then needs to be combined with items procured in dungeons and/or raids (or potentially other intermediaries made by another class - speculation), and the stats of the final item then need to be decided on.

Now, if an individual wants to ignore all of that and only buy the components needed to do that last step, imo that is on the individual if they dislike the crafting process.

Now, I'd be all for a mini-game of sorts being added to crafting (as long as it is better than the mini-game EQ2 has - and it should be different for different item types). However, the full crafting system - if you consider that to be everything from the the procurement of raw materials up to crafting the finished item - is fairly complex and involves people that enjoy mindless harvesting, people that enjoy PvP, people that enjoy PvE, and people that enjoy different aspects of crafting itself.

To me, the people that are the most successful crafters in Ashes are going to be the people that set up the most robust network to get all of that done as efficiently as possible - success will be more about people management than anything else.

Essentially, it will be a real team effort.
  • Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    noaani wrote: »
    However, the full crafting system - if you consider that to be everything from the the procurement of raw materials up to crafting the finished item - is fairly complex and involves people that enjoy mindless harvesting, people that enjoy PvP, people that enjoy PvE, and people that enjoy different aspects of crafting itself.

I mean you're right, and I don't want to make this a bigger deal than I've already made it. There's plenty of fun aspects of the game which are related to crafting and gathering. But to think that the actual crafting and gathering actions, the two parts of the game which actually require a leveled-up artisan class, will be so bland? It's kinda anti-climatic.

And yet I know some people who would still be proud of maxing out their artisan class, just because they spent so much time (and money) on it, and now they can make whatever they like. I just want to give those people a slightly more enjoyable experience as they grind their way up.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    However, the full crafting system - if you consider that to be everything from the the procurement of raw materials up to crafting the finished item - is fairly complex and involves people that enjoy mindless harvesting, people that enjoy PvP, people that enjoy PvE, and people that enjoy different aspects of crafting itself.

I mean you're right, and I don't want to make this a bigger deal than I've already made it. There's plenty of fun aspects of the game which are related to crafting and gathering. But to think that the actual crafting and gathering actions, the two parts of the game which actually require a leveled-up artisan class, will be so bland? It's kinda anti-climatic.

And yet I know some people who would still be proud of maxing out their artisan class, just because they spent so much time (and money) on it, and now they can make whatever they like. I just want to give those people a slightly more enjoyable experience as they grind their way up.

Do't get me wrong, I'm all for making crafting as interesting as possible (as I am with any aspect of a game). I was just saying that there is actually a lot more depth to getting an item made in Ashes than in any other game I've ever played (including Archeage, which itself is fairly deep.).

I am a bit of a fan of the idea of adding a mini-game to crafting, I personally think that is the only real way to make the actual crafting of an item anything other than mundane.

EQ2 did this, but I would rather have no mini-game than their implementation of it. In that game, all artisan classes had the same exceedingly simple mini-game for every item, and as players would have to make thousands of items to level up to max level, that game got very tiring very quickly.

On the other hand, I believe it was Allods Online (a game I only played very briefly, a long time ago) had a better system for this.

Different crafting classes had different mini-games associated with them. The only one I remember from that game was a slot machine type game for alchemy. Each ingredient would have different effects associated with it (not unlike Elder Scrolls games), but rather than having to match up items with like effects, the effects would be placed on the wheel of the "slot machine" mechanic. From memory, the wheel had 8 positions, and so each effect of an ingredient would take up a number of slots, so that the whole ingredient had all 8 slots filled. Thus an ingredient may have (for example, all random effects and numbers) 3 slots of healing, 4 slots of poison damage and one slot of invisibility.

You would spin the wheels, stopping each wheel one at a time, and the effect that you stopped it on was applied to the finished potion. Thus if you used the ingredient above, your potion could have a heal, an invis or a poison based on where you stopped the wheel.

As you gained levels in the crafting class, you would game bonuses to this game (being able to move any one wheel one position is an example that I think I remember).

To me, this is a way to make alchemy more interesting, and if a different mini-game could be created for each crafting class, I do think crafting as a whole would be far more interesting.

But all of that is not to distract from the fact that the crafting system as is - even it we end out having a standard actual mechanic - is actually quite involved.
  • Options
    BlinkBlink Member
    edited March 2020
    I feel that crafting in a lot of games can be improved with the requirement of some type of mini-game or something along those lines to separate a novice crafter from a master one. It takes a lot of work for a crafter to level their trade and acquire materials, but there has never really been a real sense of mechanical skill in crafting. A player in a game who has the best equipment and knows all their skills will do great, but unless they develop certain mechanical skills they won't be the best, whereas if you gave a novice player a top tier crafter's character they would be able to churn out the same quality equipment as them.
  • Options
    Mini games can be great but also problematic. At start those can be really interesting but easily become more like a burden. However, every new idea which can somehow improve professions are always welcome.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have to agree with @ferryman .
    I myself will aim to be a gatherer/crafter first and a pve raider second.
    Mini games would be interesting in gathering at the beginning, but they will make you angry after mining the 500th resource.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    Mini games would be interesting in gathering at the beginning, but they will make you angry after mining the 500th resource.

No more than it’s frustrating running through a dps rotation for the 500th time.

A mini game doesn’t have to be some Bejewled knock-off immersion-breaker. Even something as simple as a rhythm game that just has you tap the gather key at a certain tempo for a particular ore would work just fine for separating a newbie from someone whose supposed to be a master gatherer.

I’d much rather have my material quality be determined by some aspect of skill than just hoping RNGesus smiles on me.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The problem is most mini games associated with crafting that i've seen are either rng based, slot machine, combo chances, etc. or simple click when the marker hits the point on the bar, which anyone with healthy hands and eyes can do. So there isn't a skill so much as "i'm willing to do more mind numbing monotony" Especially when we want a thriving economy, while also not having everyone be able to do everything, gathering can't be something that's fun and engaging at first, then burdensome and annoying when the rest of the server needs people pumping resources into the market.
  • Options

I personally wouldn't use mini-games for gathering. To me, you can place enough challenge here with mob placement, or even with material node placement (having a node spawn point that isn't immediately obvious how to access, or that requires some effort to get to in some form).

I mean, they "could" add mini-games to gathering, but to me, since gathering takes place out in the world, there are already other things they can do out there to make it interesting - whereas crafting takes place at a crafting station, which is likely in your house, where they are unable to add the same kind of mechanics to add interest.

As I said earlier, the big problem with the mini-game in EQ2 was it's repetitiveness. I've "completed" that mini-game probably close to 20,000 times (no kidding), and I only have 3 crafting classes that were maxed when I played - out of 9 that some people had.

So yes, it could easily become tedious if not implemented well.

To me, there are two things I'd like to see to remove tedium like this. The first is to have different mini-games for different item types. This is easier said than done, but I consider it worth it.

The second is to make it so that the mini-game isn't needed every time you make a single item. For intermediaries and consumables, they could allow players to prepare batches of ingredients and then make a large number of the desired item, requiring only one instance of the mini-game for many of the item being made.

For equipable items, they could make it so that you only need to play the mini-game when you are making an item that uses a group or raid boss dropped material in the item. This would mean that you only need to play the game when you are making an item that is to be used, and any items you make to grind out a few levels (which will likely be a thing still), are not subject to it.

To me, the real challenge in all of this is coming up with enough suitable mini-game varieties that don't feel too contrived.
  • Options
    BlinkBlink Member
    I feel that challenging mini-games if implemented on extremely high-end gear crafting or when breaking through to a tier of crafting is a way to skill check the crafting community to give the title master craftsmen some real prestige that isn't just obtained through a time sink.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think Mini Games translate better to crafting, than to gathering. You craft far less than you end up gathering, so even repetitive ones are easier to tolerate. Maybe a better system would be to add a mini game randomly to nodes that if completed successfully gives you either a rarer resource, think gems in an ore vein, or a bonus lump of the same material. That wasy it could break the monotony of mass gathering, instead of adding another layer of it.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ventharien wrote: »
    I think Mini Games translate better to crafting, than to gathering. You craft far less than you end up gathering, so even repetitive ones are easier to tolerate. Maybe a better system would be to add a mini game randomly to nodes that if completed successfully gives you either a rarer resource, think gems in an ore vein, or a bonus lump of the same material. That wasy it could break the monotony of mass gathering, instead of adding another layer of it.

I have to agree that a mini game would be better for crafting.
    They could even increase the depth of the mini game with the rarity of the crafted item.
    Common - no mini game
    Uncommon - 5-10sec mini game
    Rare - multiple different short mini games
    Epic - multiple different mini games of varying difficulty
    Legendary - tons of mini games for each little step, with extremely demanding difficulty
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2020

They could even increase the depth of the mini game with the rarity of the crafted item.
    Common - no mini game
    Legendary - tons of mini games for each little step, with extremely demanding difficulty

Would crafters really like that though? After everything you went through to get the materials, to have it all come down to mini-games?

Crafting/gathering is usually a more passive form of gameplay where combat is more active. I don't know if giving every aspect of the game an active component would be a good thing.

I'm fine with there being an active component in some professions where they can create something that fits but don't think every craft needs to require some kind of mechanical skill.

Would exploring be more fun if we made the player do a mini game to walk around? Maybe if they fail they could trip or stub their toe.
  • Options

Common - no mini game

Would crafters really like that though? After everything you went through to get the materials, to have it all come down to mini-games?

Crafting/gathering is usually a more passive form of gameplay where combat is more active. I don't know if giving every aspect of the game an active component would be a good thing.

I'm fine with there being an active component in some professions where they can create something that fits but don't think every craft needs to require some kind of mechanical skill.

Would exploring be more fun if we made the player do a mini game to walk around? Maybe if they fail they could trip or stub their toe.

Crafting should not be a passive activity, is the entire point.

I’m most games, there’s no difference between the process to craft an iron dagger and the process to craft a god-blessed, blood-quenched silver sword. You get the materials, hit the craft button a few times and there you go.

We want there to be some tangible skill requirement for crafting the best gear. If there isn’t, then crafting is nothing but a time sink, with no skill expression at all.
  • Options

Common - no mini game

This works for me.
  • Options
    And why dont get real reference from irl for make stuff like idk maybe for craft an irom sword u have to hit it with ur hammer while is hot and see how better the wep is so that way u add skills for craft and for lumber u could have steps loke chop down the tree then get it by pieces and the better ppl would get a lot of materials by expertise and get the time doing this mini games lesser by skill so ppl wpuld actualy put some effort on them for better rewards and to have more time for other stuffs lile other aspects of the game lile sell them or share with other ppl or maybe make crafting a cominity thing where u could craft 100 of arrow heads and other guy bring other stuffs and thinga like that lile true medieval crafstation for less time working and couls add aspects of the classes too so idk maybe sumonners could use invocations help or idk make something new, but fun still but i know all new functions require some time developing them so maybe for further stages of the game