Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ideas for improvement AoCA/Ashes

So I am not sure if any of these items have already been discussed if so I apologize for repeating.

1. In-Game sounds, some are absent, some are obnoxious, and some are unrealistic/not fitting.
Example 1: Horse/mounts they are louder than what you would expect and seem to pierce the walls and carry through. Several times I've gotten spooked thinking there was a player nearby when i find its just another mount.
Example 2: The corruption/storm is additionally loud. There are times where it would be tactical to stay near the edge but the overly loud sound of it makes me abandon the tactical approach and go somewhere i wont get a headache.
Example 3: I don't claim to be a fire enthusiast but the fire sounds odd and out of place to me. It also has an odd radius where you hear it and sometimes there is fire without any sound.
Example 4: When i destroy the environment i wish there was more variety in the sounds I hear. If my characters are busting through stone, wood, straw, or knocking over a few barrels. I want it to sound like he is doing so. Some of the sound assets are reused often.
Example 5: To continue with reused assets, the skills their-selves could use some adjusting. I feel like a longbow should sound much different to a short bow. Melee weapons should have similar differences as well. I also think if i'm swapping to a sword/shield it should sound like i'm pulling out a sword/shield.
Example 6: Sound of hits, crits, misses, etc. needs touched on. Without proper sound the abilities and attacks don't hold weight. A large part of making a hit or a crit feel like you connected is the sounds. For example.. a miss with a mace would sound like a thud, when you connect it would make a semi-satisfying crunch, and then when you achieve a crit it should sound like a crack, a break, or something else to indicate you just dealt a significant amount of damage.
(If anymore feedback on sounds is needed I can always continue this discussion).

2. Characters feel light and it feels like when I attack I am just smacking the air.
Example 1: So sound can help with this as stated above but there is more to it then just sound. We see the overhead damage popup but that means nothing. These damage indicators are pointless unless there is a health bar to visually indicate the total amount left to contend with. By removing hp bars you eliminate the ability to allow players to determine if they can win a fight or not. Right now its just a gamble you just smack hoping eventually they die. By adding a visual bar players can determine can I win this fight, should i retreat, should i attempt to use my lifesteal, could i use meteor to finish them off and take that collateral damage to do so. The overhead damage or "the numbers that pop up over the target" in my opinion should only come up if a crit is achieved.
Example 2: Another thing that would assist with attacks having the feeling of connectivity is targeting. I am not talking about tab targeting. What I am speaking of is when targets are within range of abilities or skills an indicator or a "target" will be placed on them. This shouldn't control how your character flows but instead help show where a single target skill would land. So if two targets are within range and your about to use a single target skill you can tell where that single target skill will land. Moving the mouse slightly would allow you to swap which character your target will land on.
(Further feedback on this can be continued if needed).

I have more feedback to give but I am short on time at the moment. Hope any of this helps.