Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Mayor's Debt - A story I wrote a while ago but never posted.

sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
edited October 2019 in Community Creations
"A group of raptors tried to enter our city of Thorn this morning. It was the first attack in months. It's unclear if the attacks are part of a long-term trend or just part of raptor nature."

"This is the first attack of this caliber for our city since February," Mayor Eduardo told the crowd. "If the attacks continue, the threat could be even higher in the next few weeks."

"This is not a new phenomenon, but it's the first time they have taken aim at humans."
"We were surprised when they came here to attack today, but we have a strong defense system around our city."

The Mayor tried to sound confident and brave, but inside he knew the truth. The mayor had been lying. He didn't want to admit it right then, but this was his fault. He'd put the city in more danger than he'd ever imagined... and it was his fault.

Crimson light poured from the dark-haired witch's finger, and a wave of pain rushed down his spine like a tide of knives. He couldn't move. Not a muscle, not a bone. He wasn't dead yet, but he wasn't going to be alive for much longer; the pain was tearing him apart at the seams. He wanted nothing more than to scream, but he couldn't because he was paralyzed.

The witch turned and began to walk away, not looking back but was stopped by the mayor's wife. "Please," she begged, and after a moment the witch released the mayor from her grip.

The mayor's wife hurried to her husband's side and whispered something in his ear. She could feel his body trembling when she placed her hand on the small of his back.

"You are all safe. There's nothing to worry about."‌ Said the mayor addressing the crowd. He disguised the shakiness in his voice as best he could. His face was pale, almost white, and his eyes were unfocused. I'm afraid. I am afraid of the worst and of everything, he thought as he stood behind the podium addressing the crowd. He turned and sat down in one of the chairs at the side of the auditorium stage. The next speaker stood up and looking puzzled took the podium while the crowd yelled out questions.

"Was anyone hurt!?"
"Is it safe to leave the city!?"
"What are you going to do about it!?"‌

The crowd always wanted more information. More answers. The mayor looked down at his feet.
The Vek speaker talked about the weather and upcoming storms, prospects for the next harvest, and the alignment of stars.

After a few more speakers the morning news was over and the mayor and his wife retired to the Thorn city hall.

"We have to do something about her,"‌ said his wife. "She knows, and she's dangerous."‌ The mayor didn't answer.

"Did you hear what I‌ said?"
The mayor still didn't answer. He didn't want to.
"She'll come after us, she'll kill our son. Or our daughter. If you give her an inch she'll kill all of us. She'll kill you. She would kill everyone, she would take every one. Not just us, but all of our family."

"I'm the one who gave her the dinosaur egg for her magic potion. I'm the one who led them straight to her. It's me the raptors want. I'm the one who killed their unborn child and led them to destroy Cerise's village. I never did anything to stop them. I just wanted the potion to heal our son. I didn't care about the consequences. It's my fault‌ Lorra!" Said the mayor.

Lorra looked at her husband. She knew exactly how he felt. The guilt was evident in his eyes.‌‌ A small soft sound from behind her interrupted their conversation and she turned to see Cerise standing there. How long had she been there?‌ What had she heard?

"I gave you a chance,"‌ said the witch, as both their bodies were racked with pain.

That night at midnight she delivered their still paralyzed bodies to a small clearing just half a mile from the city's western gate where raptors were known to roam. An hour later a small circle of raptors had encircled them drawn by their sense of smell. The debt was paid.
fNX2ISa.png