Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Available Classes

Hey all!

Does anybody see where the class list is? Or is this potentially changing?

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ashesofcreationclasslist-1040x644.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    ashesofcreationclasslist-1040x644.jpg

Thanks! Do you believe these are going to be the same upon release or do you think there is room for change?
  • Options
    ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This seems likely to be the final list, but as Intrepid has been parroting since 2017, everything is subject to change. If, for whatever reason, these classes aren't working, they'll change it.

That said, we know nothing about just about every single class besides their names, so...
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    ilisfet wrote: »
    This seems likely to be the final list, but as Intrepid has been parroting since 2017, everything is subject to change. If, for whatever reason, these classes aren't working, they'll change it.

That said, we know nothing about just about every single class besides their names, so...

How accurate are the moves on this list: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes

Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    It's hard to say really. We won't have class abilities till alpha 1 so a lot can change
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    The wiki is a great source of information, recording everything any dev has ever said or shown about the game. And because of that, the information is again subject to change.

I'd expect the themes of archetypes to stay intact, but specific skills will change over time. Intrepid has already replaced every animation in APOC 2 times so far, I'd expect similar treatment for skills.

That said, the general themes we can expect from archetypes are:
    • Tank can create walls enemies have to move around
    • Fighter is DPS
    • Rogue has stealth
    • Ranger has detection
    • Mage has elements and limited flight
    • Summoner summons stuff
    • Cleric heals people and purifies areas
    • Bard sings
  • Options
    The wiki is a great source of information, recording everything any dev has ever said or shown about the game. And because of that, the information is again subject to change.

I'd expect the themes of archetypes to stay intact, but specific skills will change over time. Intrepid has already replaced every animation in APOC 2 times so far, I'd expect similar treatment for skills.

That said, the general themes we can expect from archetypes are:
    • Fighter is DPS
    • Rogue has stealth
    • Ranger has detection
    • Summoner summons stuff
    • Bard sings

I think it's better and more thoughtful to keep the class number smaller, making people have to make decisions that impact their game-play. Agree or disagree?
  • Options
    I feel that's an ambiguous statement, however what may alleviate your concern is that the secondary archetype will not increase the number of skills available but provide augments for pre-existing skills.

An old example Steven threw out in 2017 was say Fighter has a Charge skill where they rush to an enemy and attack. A Mage augment may make it so the Fighter instead teleports to the target and attacks; a Rogue augment may make the Fighter invisible while rushing; a Cleric augment may give the attack life leech properties.

While the total number of classes is 64, it will behave more like 8 classes with 8 variants each.

I'm personally undecided on whether every decision should be significantly impactful to gameplay. On the one hand, a small selection of tools make each unique and a completely new experience (eg Weapons in Hyper Light Drifter) while a large selection of less impactful decisions allows each player to find their own niche (eg Battlefield 4 guns and attachments).

Basically, I'd have to mull it over for a couple months while looking at a few examples of each extreme.
  • Options
    RumloxRumlox Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Glanos wrote: »

I think it's better and more thoughtful to keep the class number smaller, making people have to make decisions that impact their game-play. Agree or disagree?

I agree the large class number is one of my biggest concerns. Just look at archeage 120 classes maybe 20 of which are worth playing. I would rather have like 12 well the thought out classes than 64 meh classes
    DoneRumloxShadow.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    The wiki is not a record of everything any dev has ever said.
    Great resource, nonetheless.

We only have a few tab-target abilities listed for a few primary archetypes.
    We can expect some changes to those over time.
    Plus, many more tab-target abilities.
    Plus, action abilities.
    Plus, racial, social, religious and secondary archetype augments.
    Plus, weapon abilities.
    ...the general themes we can expect from archetypes are:
    • Fighter is DPS
    • Rogue has stealth
    • Ranger has detection
    • Summoner summons stuff
    • Bard sings
    That's waaaaaaaay too simplistic.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    The wiki is not a record of everything any dev has ever said.
    Great resource, nonetheless.

We only have a few tab-target abilities listed for a few primary archetypes.
    We can expect some changes to those over time.
    Plus, many more tab-target abilities.
    Plus, action abilities.
    Plus, racial, social, religious and secondary archetype augments.
    Plus, weapon abilities.
    ...the general themes we can expect from archetypes are:
    • Fighter is DPS
    • Rogue has stealth
    • Ranger has detection
    • Summoner summons stuff
    • Bard sings
    That's waaaaaaaay too simplistic.

My concern is that by creating too many classes and options, it's overwhelming to most of the population. I think one of the things that makes an MMORPG so immersive is the thoughtfulness around class design. When you're choosing your class, it's not a task you take lightly and personas develop around the types of people that actually pick those roles. I do think it's very interesting how Intrepid is blending the archetypes, although some of it feels like it's beginning to dilute (bard vs cleric; rogue vs fighter).

Unrelated - I think gear that appears universally the same is better than having certain items tinted to one race. The reason for this is if I'm going up against someone in PvP and I see they have X item, I'd approach the fight differently. It's also funny to see in other games when folks are leveling or PvPing, their gear might not match all the time and that's ok. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Well, we'll have to see the implementation, but it seems like the accents of armor will be race tinted rather than the whole piece. Also, Steven has confirmed an option to disable all visual flair for players and instead load them in with default models, since cosmetic customization can make it hard to identify what people are wearing and also performance in large scale fights.

I don't think many people like having their gear not match, but it's something we grew up with and so think fondly of. At the very least it gives us something to aspire towards at max level, where we can finally have matching gear.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    One of the worst things about MMORPGs is too few options leading to cookie cutter builds.
    And, I pretty much always have matching gear because I am fashion over function.

• Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    One of the worst things about MMORPGs is too few options leading to cookie cutter builds.
    And, I pretty much always have matching gear because I am fashion over function.

I disagree. Just because there are fewer options (8-16 vs 64), that doesn't mean they lack depth. There could be multiple ways to optimize a class build to suit a players style that generally falls within that archetype. My opinion is I would rather have that than too many classes that feel and sound too similar. Just an opinion though and I appreciate you weighing in!
  • Options
    I mean we have the 8 main classes as a core, so as long as they are all viable, I just see the addons as extras to play with
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We only have the 8 classes, not 64 (no matter what they say). The others are just modified versions of the 8 main classes. There will be people who swear by the "best" builds, but I love the freedom to modify your class to better reflect the way you want to play.
    And they did say that there will be synergies with groups of 8 that are all versions of 1 class (for Castle Siege, but I hope for other parts of the game).

And, if @Nagash has any say, another set of class modifications for undead characters... :)
  • Options
    We only have the 8 classes, not 64 (no matter what they say). The others are just modified versions of the 8 main classes. There will be people who swear by the "best" builds, but I love the freedom to modify your class to better reflect the way you want to play.
    And they did say that there will be synergies with groups of 8 that are all versions of 1 class (for Castle Siege, but I hope for other parts of the game).

And, if @Nagash has any say, another set of class modifications for undead characters... :)

I wish :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    I disagree.
    Obviously. We have different playstyles. That's OK.
    Just because there are fewer options (8-16 vs 64), that doesn't mean they lack depth. There could be multiple ways to optimize a class build to suit a players style that generally falls within that archetype.
    Exactly. Which is precisely why there are only 8 Primary Archetypes and then multiple ways to optimize those 8, leading to 64 sub-classes.
    And, on top of that, racial and social and religious augments that also optimize the abilities of the Primary Archetype(s).

My opinion is I would rather have that than too many classes that feel and sound too similar. Just an opinion though and I appreciate you weighing in!
    You don't know whether they feel too similar since you have no experience with the gameplay mechanics of the Secondary Archetypes. The Secondary Archetypes sound similar because they are sub-sets of the 8 Primary Archetypes.
  • Options
    What????