Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapon Progression

Personally something I'd love to see eventually in a MMO is a system that allows your weapon to gain "levels" or a reputation. Say you have an attachment to your starter weapon for what ever reason and you kill 1000 orca the weapon gains and "orc slayer" level that allows the weapon to be more effective vs orcs. What I've been contemplating is something where given the time your starter weapon would be able to rival the highest weapons in the game but the higher quality weapons would gain enhancements at a higher rate. But say you kill a raid boss with a starter weapon it would have a chance to gain a massive boost to make equivalent to something around that raid content. This is a pretty crude short formed example but the basic idea is to have every weapon in the game totally unique to the player wielding it.

Comments

• Options
    <strong>I strongly disagree with the "Kill xy-amount of foes to gain xy-% benefit"!</strong>

You would not only dictate players how to play the game but also force players who min/max their gear to kill, no, grind through countless monster hordes for the additional %. Besides, I can already see how larger guilds, Semi/Hardcore-PvX guilds, camp certain spots to get the additional 'edge'.

<strong>For the second part of your suggestion. Are we talking about something similar to Boobs and Soul pre-February patch?</strong>

Boobs and Soul: <em>You will be rewarded with a weapon fairly early on. You can upgrade your 'weak' weapon through certain breakthrough materials such as a 'prototype', special 'area stones' and in-game currency?
    Something akin to that or did you think of something else?</em>

If we're talking purely Boobs and Soul mechanics than I also have to disagree. I'm pretty sure that there are enough players out there who would love to play as a weapon smith. If everyone already had a weapon that can be 'upgraded' through simple killing rampages, there would be no need for black smiths, or am I mistaken?

I like the third part of your suggestion. <strong>"Every weapon should be unique to the player!"</strong> That I find quite intriguing.

I would love seeing weapons varying in stats.

!My suggestion!
    [Carnage | rare | Staff] - [Blood Vials of the Demonic Bear] =
    To craft the staff you need different materials. They shouldn't be too hard to obtain. But to forge [<strong>Carnage</strong>] you need [<strong>Blood Vials of the Demonic Bear</strong>]. These [<strong>Blood Vials of the Demonic Bear</strong>] should be more difficult to acquire!

[Carnage | rare | Staff] - [Hellish Ape's ground Bone Essence] =
    The same like above, instead of <strong>[Blood Vials of the Demonic Bear</strong>] you need [<strong>Hellish Ape's ground Bone Essence</strong>] to forge the staff.

The change in another ingredient decides what you essentially get. The first staff offers more <strong>Mag. Crit.</strong> whereas the second one offers more <strong>Mag. Attack</strong>. The obtainable stats through crafting can then vary in-between a set spectrum which is randomly 'setting' stats.
    <strong>But</strong> a better black smith has an overall higher chance/success to 'crit' while crafting hence creating a BiS weapon.

This I would only want to see for items below Legendary, assuming ranks will be something like:
    Common - Fine - Masterwork - Rare - Exotic - Legendary - Divine

~ Zention
  • Options
    [quote quote=4387]<strong>I strongly disagree with the “Kill xy-amount of foes to gain xy-% benefit”!

You would not only dictate players how to play the game but also force players who min/max-ing their gear to kill, no, grind through countless monster hordes for the additional %. Besides, I can already see how larger guilds, Semi/Hardcore-PvX guilds, camp certain spots to get the additional ‘edge’.</strong>[/quote]

Nothing wrong with min / maxing and to do this with a starter weapon but I was thinking something along the lines of as your base level of your weapon increases certain grinding attributes wouldn't be available to avoid the camping grinding at the top end certain attributes and effects would be unlocked at certain base levels of the weapon so if you had the time and wanted to put in the effort to min / max you could customize to your personal wants and needs. If you are going to have various attributes affixs and buffs that are applied to a weapon you will always have certain people that will try to get the max out of it.

[quote quote=4387]<strong>For the second part of your suggestion. Are we talking about something similar to Boobs and Soul pre-February patch?</strong>[/quote]

I was more thinking along the lines of a weapon leveling system sort of getting augment pieces off bosses and stuff like that basically writing a legend of your weapon the more you do the more stat values and stuff you would gain on the weapon. Giving you ability to name your weapon and write it's own legend. Excalibur comes to mind or the Master Sword. The way the weapons start off at various levels and gain abilities very based on the base weapon

[quote quote=4387]<strong>I like the third part of your suggestion. “Every weapon should be unique to the player!” That I find quite intriguing. </strong>[/quote]

I also like the idea you have going there with the crafting but I think that crafting adds too many additional issues and takes away allot of the uniqueness developing a weapon based on your quests and kills is the player writing the weapons story and legend where as crafting is still a set parameter that you won't be able to escape.
  • Options
    I like that idea and I disagree with the idea that all grind is bad. Not everything has to be handed to a player. Some things are worth working towards not just the idea that I need to have everything as soon as possible most likely because I want to hop to another game in a month which is pretty much how all modern MMORPGs are built because they don't expect to maintain players for more than a month or two and that's why our genre is in such a poor state that it is in now.

I love the idea of being able to upgrade weapons. Final Fantasy XIV had its relic system that allowed you to accomplish a series of tasks in order to grow its power, OR if a new weapon dropped in the latest raid you could forgo working on your relic and just use the better drop weapon if that is what you wanted and pick back up the relic at the next patch cycle.

Now my issue with the relic system is that they only had one for each class so in the end it pretty much ended up with EVERYONE having the same idea and was like wow "I wield the mighty Excalibur!" only to here everyone other paladin say the same thing.

Whereas your idea would be to allow you to "relic-ize" (yes I made it up) any item that you thought looked cool etc and work to power it up! Very cool! +1
  • Options
    Thanks ya I thought the base 1 weapon to customize was too basic and everyone running around with the same one of a kind Uber powerfully weapon kinda sucks
  • Options
    [quote quote=4387]-snip-
    If everyone already had a weapon that can be ‘upgraded’ through simple killing rampages, there would be no need for black smiths, or am I mistaken?
    -snip-
    [/quote]

In regards to requiring or not requiring blacksmiths.
    Could get creative and make it so blacksmith forged weapons can also be 'upgraded' through those killing rampages, not just 'generic' or randomly picked up weapons.
    Perhaps you could handpick a few special materials for the player blacksmith to forge you a special weapon to your liking so you can bring it out to upgrade it even further, or something similar. Think of it as uhm, upgrading a custom made weapon made especially for you.
  • Options
    That would force things too much. I think it would be neat to be granted certain titles for killing X number of things though. For example, kill 100 of Mob X and you get the title "Mob X Slayer" which you can use to give yourself something like a 10% damage bonus versus Mob X. Maybe make varying tiers of this, so you get one at 100, then another at 500, one at 1000, etc.

As for items, I do think it would be pretty cool if raid bosses or other boss monsters might drop legendary/very high level weapons with random unique buffs/skills. I don't think it'd be that good if each of those weapons had the same exact special buff/skill on each drop as that would create too much of a grind. For example, let's say Raid Boss Y drops Legendary Weapon 1. Legendary Weapon 1 should not always come with the unique buff "Freezes enemies" as that would create a grind for people that want that buff. Instead, Legendary Weapon 1 should have a chance to come with a random unique buff/skill. Some of these skills may be similar between bosses, but I think it would be better if each boss had its own list of random skills/buffs that its drops could come with. Of course, better buffs/skills would have a lower chance of coming with the drop.
  • Options
    [quote quote=5693]That would force things too much. I think it would be neat to be granted certain titles for killing X number of things though. For example, kill 100 of Mob X and you get the title “Mob X Slayer” which you can use to give yourself something like a 10% damage bonus versus Mob X. Maybe make varying tiers of this, so you get one at 100, then another at 500, one at 1000, etc.
    [/quote]

similar to Guild Wars 2's "Slayer" title achievement chain? essentially there are a collective of tiers (e.g 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2500) of killing X or Y mob that when completed to the final tier grants a title "Mob X Slayer". This is all well and good however with the style of MMOs i dont think a "flat %" damage boost on those mobs should be part of that title. Thinking about something realistically - this game will be a slow grind of exploration, mob discovery, item discovery, loot table drawing and much more for a good length of time. i expect that there will be a time where yes, farming say 500 Orc for X or Y drop will be a thing, but part of the whole game would be getting to a point where you can farm 500 Orc - not hack and slash until you get the free win % buff.
    But that's just how i feel. Flat % buffs for grinding is lame and throws a "casual" tag into my head.
    however silkroad online goes against that philosophy.

[quote quote=4387]
    I like the third part of your suggestion. <strong>“Every weapon should be unique to the player!”</strong> That I find quite intriguing.

I would love seeing weapons varying in stats.

!My suggestion!
    [Carnage | rare | Staff] – [Blood Vials of the Demonic Bear] =
    To craft the staff you need different materials. They shouldn’t be too hard to obtain. But to forge [<strong>Carnage</strong>] you need [<strong>Blood Vials of the Demonic Bear</strong>]. These [<strong>Blood Vials of the Demonic Bear</strong>] should be more difficult to acquire!

[Carnage | rare | Staff] – [Hellish Ape’s ground Bone Essence] =
    The same like above, instead of <strong>[Blood Vials of the Demonic Bear</strong>] you need [<strong>Hellish Ape’s ground Bone Essence</strong>] to forge the staff.

The change in another ingredient decides what you essentially get. The first staff offers more <strong>Mag. Crit.</strong> whereas the second one offers more <strong>Mag. Attack</strong>. The obtainable stats through crafting can then vary in-between a set spectrum which is randomly ‘setting’ stats.
    <strong>But</strong> a better black smith has an overall higher chance/success to ‘crit’ while crafting hence creating a BiS weapon.

This I would only want to see for items below Legendary, assuming ranks will be something like:
    Common – Fine – Masterwork – Rare – Exotic – Legendary – Divine

~ Zention

[/quote]

Again looking into GW2:
    the crafting system sounds like what you are talking about to me.
    say i wanted to craft a staff as an artificer i would need: a staff body, staff head, and an inscription that gives X Y and Z stat.
    these inscriptions take replacement for that "[Blood Vials of the Demonic Bear] " etc that you mentions - and in terms of that resource, the inscription itself would require the blood vials + some other things.

honestly i love that style of crafting and there is like 26 stat choices/inscription types in GW2.
    Good call.

~Lafi~
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Lafidel said:
    [quote quote=5693]That would force things too much. I think it would be neat to be granted certain titles for killing X number of things though. For example, kill 100 of Mob X and you get the title “Mob X Slayer” which you can use to give yourself something like a 10% damage bonus versus Mob X. Maybe make varying tiers of this, so you get one at 100, then another at 500, one at 1000, etc.
    [/quote]

similar to Guild Wars 2's "Slayer" title achievement chain? essentially there are a collective of tiers (e.g 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2500) of killing X or Y mob that when completed to the final tier grants a title "Mob X Slayer". This is all well and good however with the style of MMOs i dont think a "flat %" damage boost on those mobs should be part of that title. Thinking about something realistically - this game will be a slow grind of exploration, mob discovery, item discovery, loot table drawing and much more for a good length of time. i expect that there will be a time where yes, farming say 500 Orc for X or Y drop will be a thing, but part of the whole game would be getting to a point where you can farm 500 Orc - not hack and slash until you get the free win % buff.
    But that's just how i feel. Flat % buffs for grinding is lame and throws a "casual" tag into my head.
    however silkroad online goes against that philosophy.
    I never played GW2, but that sounds sort of right. The "flat %" damage was just an example. It could be damage/armor/healing %, or it could be a unique effect like poison or instant counterattack. As you kill more of those mobs, you get a higher tier (e.g. tier 1 by killing 50 X mobs, tier 2 killing 250, etc. and tier 1 gives X poison damage, tier 2 gives Y poison damage, etc.).  Of course, you can only equip one of these titles at a time, so you can't just stack 100% damage + poison + counterattack etc. Have to pick what you think would be best at any given time. Further, could do a combination where for certain mobs you might get a damage bonus against them the first few tiers, but the final tier will give you a unique effect such as one of that mob's abilities.
  • Options

I am always against vertical progression in multiplayer games. Single player you can be the god you always wanted to be.

Now if you had said I want my weapon to tune itself and gain some stats but lose others....then I would have slapped you on the back and given you a hi 5.

;)