Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Story lines for dungeouns and Raids.

First want to say that I really enjoy your podcasts pls keep doing them even after game comes out.

Was thinking about something Jeffery said about how no one reads his quests. Well one day a started reading quests(way before Jeff said that) in mmos and it really changed the game for me made it more emersive.
And also was thinking about how my favorite type of quests are dungeouns quest cause the provide a story line even if it is a simple one one gives purpose to me being there.

Now In paper and pencil games if I made a dungeoun put monsters in it balance it out. Then do the loot table and after all tht I am all done then go to some players and say look i have a dungeoun lets do it and start at the dungeoun entrance. Well that would just be stupid, but that is what a lot of games are doing now.

So Happy to hear that there are going to be quests to unlock dungeouns. Think that is the way to go. But also things like how that place came to be and the history of it adds a lot of role playing value to it. Really changes the way you look and play the game.

That being the case think raids and some of the more prominent dungeons should all have solid story lines back rounds and legends associated to them. So think just like writing a backround for an npc.
One of the most popular raid in wow was ICC killing the lich king. Just meeting the lich king in a radi for first time was epic. Mainly because of the story line associated with it.

So you should be making story lines in game for future raids if you can.

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would be nice for dungeons and raids to have questlines.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • But if you really think about it, dungeon quests in-and-of-themselves are not self-perpetuating. Sure you can have multiple instances per area, but when you have a limited amount of payloads per server per area per dungeon, then the resulting outcome is either a server reset or a server freeze, or both.

Now take into consideration the dungeons of Waterdeep. Or the dungeon of Halaster Blackcloak. Any idea? Not a clue. NOT F'ING GOOD. Raids in dungeons? Too time consuming. Beneath the MUMBO JUMBO is something that is truly genuine and when polished shines like a diamond in the ruff.

For a gem cannot be polished without friction, and a man cannot be perfected without trial.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As long as they don't do it like ffxiv did I'm fine with it.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • TheCouchNerdTheCouchNerd Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The plan is to allow instanced dungeons when it's needed to tell a narrative. So I'm expecting the narrative to take us into dungeons at some point.