"A CARROT TO CHASE" Honest opinion on the APOC (Br and more)

nightragnernightragner Member, Braver of Worlds
edited November 27 in General Discussion
QUICK EDIT: THESE MUST ONLY BE WORKED ON IN PARALLEL WITH THE MMO NEVER INSTEAD OF IT!!
Hello me again... Pitchforks down please... (Disclaimer: these are comments from many who want to come back!)
"The carrot to chase" (Reasons to come back and stay)
- Add a reason to come back after hitting 50 in the BR other than leader boards... Possibly a way to reset (Paragon) the levels, Maybe with a small reward at each reset and a larger at the end (say 10 resets) allowing for a percentage xp increase each time these can have Skins at the end of the levels over the current format (Weapon Skin at 25 and mount skin at 50 say) then alter it for another item (Emote at 25 and armour skin at 50) Spreading the items currently in the first level 1-50 to then be spread over the many 1 - 50 resets adding in other minor items within the 50 levels! (Sure you can work something out)

"Sometimes faster is not always better" (Slower combat speed)
- While the game can be fun in a frantic manner it losses it steam after a couple of days, It is still playable for sure but without a tactic side to the combat it feels like something that made for kids not interested in the MMO which after testing should be a selling point of APOC to tease people making them want to join AoC (MMO) with what we call "Combat chess"

"Where are the boards Leading us" (Leader Boards)
- We don't need to only have leader boards but a reason to get on them be that receiving something, bragging rights or winning tournaments it is a "Carrot to chase".

"Allow us to make it our way" (Customised games / Lobbies)
- This is something that players would love to see and use allowing them to set and engage in private battles within a game that all parties understand and follow the rules for (4v4 / 4V4V4 / Etc).

"Putting on a Show" (Hosting / Shout-Casting)
- Allow for spectator modes and replies to be possible giving content creators the options and also allow for shout-casting and this is also something that can be used to double check on Script and command cheaters and "Teaming".
- Note this could also be used in the arena and other areas within the MMO

"More toys to play with" (More weapons / gear)
- We have tested all the items currently in game many have asked if we can have these updated and refreshed, giving players new Weapons / Gear / Abilities tied to these items (Be that new or old ones from the Alpha 0 testing) more the better! add another tier of color as suggested by others (Blue tier of items).

"Getting more for less while having fun" (Double XP / benefit events)
- While playing the game is fun it lacks a event time, weekend or rust phase something that would draw in new players and offer slower levelling player some help and not feel like such a big task.

"Some of the content creator were right" (listening to suggestions)
- Many we have spoken to all state that things like "Hey BCG was right in what is missing from the BR" (Linked)



There is more topics but those were the main focus this time around!

Comments

  • FooshyyFooshyy Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    Absolutely. Would be cool to hear some kind of acknowledgement regarding these suggestions. A few similar threads had great suggestions too.

    Hope a post 50 grind or reset is possible. That's the big one for me. I could of kept playing the BR, but there was no reason to at cap. Maybe just to "queue with the boys" randomly, but that's about it.
    anZ05s6.png
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Pioneer
    I still play 'cause I need the practice. The final combat will be hybrid and you don't know when action combat will be better than tab. If you gave up and said, "I'm doing tab 'cause that's what I know." You may be killed easily later under certain circumstances. You don't know what the future holds. Better to practice while you can 'cause you might need it later.
    fNX2ISa.png


  • nightragnernightragner Member, Braver of Worlds
    sunfrog wrote: »
    I still play 'cause I need the practice. The final combat will be hybrid and you don't know when action combat will be better than tab. If you gave up and said, "I'm doing tab 'cause that's what I know." You may be killed easily later under certain circumstances. You don't know what the future holds. Better to practice while you can 'cause you might need it later.

    We log in ever day and play as a community group :) i just want to spark a convo with these devs that could help maximise the experience for everyone and continue after the MMO comes out
  • I'm always very conflicted when this discussion comes up. I really like the BR and generally have a good time when I play. I agree that after hitting 50 there isn't much reason to play, and even as someone who was primarily streaming APOC as the players dwindle and queue times skyrocket it becomes impossible to stream as well. So I agree there needs to be something post 50, and believe this is going to be true for Castle Siege as well. Personally I think everyone is over estimating how much staying power Castle Siege is going to have just because it's not a BR. Sure you may get more people to play initially (some people just don't like the BR formula) but even those people who find the BR fun aren't continuing to play post 50 and siege will have the same problem.

    The danger is in how far you take it, because ultimately we all want the MMO as soon as possible and don't want time spent on development that doesn't directly benefit the MMO. The suggestions in this post are all great ways to add more engagement, but some of them definitely stray into "only beneficial for the BR" territory and this is where I personally draw the line. I think having the XP we gain past 50 convert to Embers so we can buy cosmetics, or making special cosmetics available only via very high XP still fits within the realm of adding a carrot and is simply a currency and shop mechanic much like what exists already. Adding "More Toys" also feels like a good path forward as it's simply expanding on a mechanic and testing new aspects of combat. But as much as I would like these other features (and have talked about wanting them) custom matches, spectating etc seem like they would bring little to no benefit to the main game, and I can't in good faith advocate for them.

    It's partly a good problem to have when so many people are begging for more of your game based on the enjoyment they got from what they have so far, but when progress on everything else is being trickled out, and slowly, it can breed resentment as well which leaves us looking for any and every idea that might lessen the pain, but it can't come at the expense of focusing on benefiting the MMO.
  • nightragnernightragner Member, Braver of Worlds
    Pharazon wrote: »
    I'm always very conflicted when this discussion comes up. I really like the BR and generally have a good time when I play. I agree that after hitting 50 there isn't much reason to play, and even as someone who was primarily streaming APOC as the players dwindle and queue times skyrocket it becomes impossible to stream as well. So I agree there needs to be something post 50, and believe this is going to be true for Castle Siege as well. Personally I think everyone is over estimating how much staying power Castle Siege is going to have just because it's not a BR. Sure you may get more people to play initially (some people just don't like the BR formula) but even those people who find the BR fun aren't continuing to play post 50 and siege will have the same problem.

    The danger is in how far you take it, because ultimately we all want the MMO as soon as possible and don't want time spent on development that doesn't directly benefit the MMO. The suggestions in this post are all great ways to add more engagement, but some of them definitely stray into "only beneficial for the BR" territory and this is where I personally draw the line. I think having the XP we gain past 50 convert to Embers so we can buy cosmetics, or making special cosmetics available only via very high XP still fits within the realm of adding a carrot and is simply a currency and shop mechanic much like what exists already. Adding "More Toys" also feels like a good path forward as it's simply expanding on a mechanic and testing new aspects of combat. But as much as I would like these other features (and have talked about wanting them) custom matches, spectating etc seem like they would bring little to no benefit to the main game, and I can't in good faith advocate for them.

    It's partly a good problem to have when so many people are begging for more of your game based on the enjoyment they got from what they have so far, but when progress on everything else is being trickled out, and slowly, it can breed resentment as well which leaves us looking for any and every idea that might lessen the pain, but it can't come at the expense of focusing on benefiting the MMO.

    Agreed and i will edit at the top to note as that is what i meant - Only work on things that can be used in parallel with the MMO or in the later stages of the MMO when the team is having spots of free time form AoC BUT if they need to do even some of these things knowing it will help the Team make a better MMO im happy to lose time to APOC as a whole gaining feature that can be used within the MMO and to bolster ranks!
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds
    edited December 2
    I guess the interesting thing is that with Castle Siege and Horde sharing xp with the BR, seems like something will have to be done if they want people to keep playing the BR for weeks after hitting Level 50.
  • nightragnernightragner Member, Braver of Worlds
    Dygz wrote: »
    I guess the interesting thing is that with Castle Siege and Horde sharing xp with the BR, so seems like something will have to be done if they want people to keep playing the BR for weeks after hitting Level 50.

    NO stop playing APOC at all if they are all shared this is one of my concerns without something to keep player numbers not relying on current community having Faith that many will stay for testing which has already proven to not be effective..... Yes i dont want to pull away from the MMO as much of the next person but i can also look at the bigger picture and say "YES if it helps the MMO via APOC work on it" as there is a MASSIVE PR issues that is better to fix and have amazing games AoC & APOC not just one half ass item and the MMO as i know many that would come play the free content and enjoy it enough to join the MMO BUT even that is a issue with the play style of the BR Vs Siege Vs Horde Vs MMO is the change too Jarring for those players best example i was give was (if a like the current BR play style im not going to AoC im going to WARFRAME)
    and that is bad and sucks heaps if we are going to lose possible players due these topics i talked about!!!
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds
    Actually, if they have leaderboards for other stuff besides kills, I might keep playing the BR after Level 50. Same for the leaderboards in Castle Siege and Horde. I don't necessarily need a lot to keep testing - just something I like that can be easily tracked.
  • MayhemMayhem Member
    edited December 4
    Definitely need achievements and post 50 rewards like embers or apoc shop tokens.
    + For Custom Games

    Idea: Corrupted Set

    Corrupted Helmet
    Achievement: Play 1000 Matches

    Corrupted Armor
    Achievement: Repair 10 000 Armor

    Corrupted Longbow
    Achievement: 1000 Kills with Longbow

    Corrupted Miasma Effect
    Achievement: Deal 10 000 Damage With Longbow

    Pic Coming Soontm
  • nightragnernightragner Member, Braver of Worlds
    Mayhem wrote: »
    Definitely need achievements and post 50 rewards like embers or apoc shop tokens.
    + For Custom Games

    Idea: Corrupted Set

    Corrupted Helmet
    Achievement: Play 1000 Matches

    Corrupted Armor
    Achievement: Repair 10 000 Armor

    Corrupted Longbow
    Achievement: 1000 Kills with Longbow

    Corrupted Miasma Effect
    Achievement: Deal 10 000 Damage With Longbow

    Pic Coming Soontm

    Yes but in term of if they wanna keep the "Paths" personally i would have them reset so people can get to 50 many times at get something at each 50* and yes add what you said!!
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds
    Going off what @nightragner said, if they would reset monthly to a new path of rewards that would help.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

  • nightragnernightragner Member, Braver of Worlds
    T Elf wrote: »
    Going off what @nightragner said, if they would reset monthly to a new path of rewards that would help.

    That would sadly not be an option due to the cost that would come at for intrepid and the players !
  • They could give different recolors as rewards, like first level 50 obsidian armor, second time level 50 red obsidian armor, third time white obsidian armor
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    they would have to give out an incentive every month if they want people to keep playing apoc and even then I don't see it working in the long run
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • nightragnernightragner Member, Braver of Worlds
    Mayhem wrote: »
    They could give different recolors as rewards, like first level 50 obsidian armor, second time level 50 red obsidian armor, third time white obsidian armor

    yes !!! recolours of the SAME armours
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds
    What costs?!! Recoloring is easy and cheap.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    T Elf wrote: »
    What costs?!! Recoloring is easy and cheap.

    well played ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Adding this in favor for custom games because i've been sitting in que for a few hours again.

    Solo lobbies would give us something to do when no one is playing like record environment videos and to take screenshots in peace.

    They could be used for events and to record Apoc Movies B)

    New players could learn about armor, weapons and their abilities without being killed.

    Things i'd like to see in custom games
    Able to add bots (possibly even place them to a certain location)

    Able to modify weapons and armor (damage, attack speed, ability duration and cooldown)(maybe even change the abilities on a weapon, change nightfall ability to stillblade ability for slowing arrows)

    Map editor (able to remove/add Apoc assets to the map, like buildings, fences, weapon/chest spawns + others)
  • nightragnernightragner Member, Braver of Worlds
    Nagash wrote: »
    T Elf wrote: »
    What costs?!! Recoloring is easy and cheap.

    well played ^^

    1 - 5 recolors YES but what happens then are you going to add 12 x Battle pass packs of items - NO
    BUT i think changing some things will help keep all of APOC not just BR going to a long enough time
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds
    edited December 7
    Nagash wrote: »
    T Elf wrote: »
    What costs?!! Recoloring is easy and cheap.

    well played ^^

    1 - 5 recolors YES but what happens then are you going to add 12 x Battle pass packs of items - NO
    BUT i think changing some things will help keep all of APOC not just BR going to a long enough time

    Well, my unmentioned thought on that was as long as we just have the BR. Right now I have no idea what kind of impact the siege mode will have.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    T Elf wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    T Elf wrote: »
    What costs?!! Recoloring is easy and cheap.

    well played ^^

    1 - 5 recolors YES but what happens then are you going to add 12 x Battle pass packs of items - NO
    BUT i think changing some things will help keep all of APOC not just BR going to a long enough time

    Well, my unmentioned thought on that was as long as we just have the BR. Right now I have no idea what can of impact the siege mode will have.

    would be nice to see the backer items in siege mode
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
Sign In or Register to comment.